A place where Education and Theatrical Arts merge with Student Thought to foster greater understanding of the World of Acting.
THE RULES of THIS BLOG SITE
Any response that uses inappropriate language, content, or anything else that Mr. Williams would deem offensive will receive an automatic grade of "0" with no hope for resubmitting the post. You are expected to respond in a mature and Godly fashion. Content can talk about topical things (drugs, drinking, relationships, family, sex, God, emotions, etc.), but the delivery of the information should be in such a manner that well represents yourself, your parents and family, CBHS, Mr. Williams, and most importantly, God. I really look forward to your posts. -- Mr. Williams
August 26, 2010
Acting I Blog 3
DUE WEDNESDAY 9/1/10 BY 8:00 AM! For directions, please visit BLOG3 at the CBHS Theatrical & Choral Academic Activities website. I look forward to your posts!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am very excited about this blog to test my sense of seeing, hearing, and touching. In this picture, I see my life in one picture. The bright gold spots are the cheerful and the best times in my life. The dark spots resemble the bad times in my life and some disappointments. I see flowers blooming and growing. The flowers represent me growing as a person into a man. The purple spots resemble my school career. I attended St. Dominic’s from 1st grade through 8th grade. My school colors there were purple and gold. At Christian Brothers High School, my school colors are purple and gold. This resembles the achievements and honors I achieved over my academic career. The picture is showing my life and all that I have overcome and succeeded in.
ReplyDeleteThis peace of music is very creative and has a good tune. After I listened to the full piece, I pictured myself running from a lion in the middle of an African desert while this song was playing in the background. I am being chased and then the intensity starts to get serious when the beat slows down. The lion is looking for me and cannot find me. When the music develops into a techno style, the lion sees me and I start running into an African town. I am jumping over local merchants’ shops while the lion runs through the whole town destroying items trying to get to me. When I ran inside the local prison, I locked myself into a cell. The lion tried to break through, but he couldn’t. Then all of a sudden, the lion started to fall down and he was upset. I noticed the lion had been shot with a tranquilizer and it made him fall asleep. The lion was down and I felt really sorry for him. In the morning, while the lion was still asleep, I drove him all the way back to his home in the desert. When I dropped him off, he came back to life and gave me a high five. The song has a good meaning to have an adventure. The adventure I imagined wasn’t safe, but it resembles to have fun and being chased around Africa was dangerous. The music really inspired me and it helped me to find joy and fun in my life.
I closed my eyes and reached behind me and felt a deer my dad had hunted and killed. The deer’s body feels like my body in a way. I felt the nose and it has nostrils just like mine. The eyes are a little bigger than mine, but we both have eyes. The ears are shaped differently than mine, but the greatest thing about the deer is his antlers. The antlers are powerful and resemble his loyalty to the other deer. I felt twelve antlers on his head. The deer connects to me because it shows that we all are all living our own lives and have some of the same qualities. I have power in my heart and the deer has power on his head with the antlers.
An actor must be able to have the vision on stage or on a set to focus on the best position to be on stage. The actor must have his sound level where the whole audience can hear the actor. Touch is important to an actor because he needs to feel the atmosphere and some objects on stage. Senses can really tell how well an actor can be. An actor must see the stage and see all surrounding objects. The actor must be able to hear and speak at the right level. While acting on stage, touch is important to get a good feel of what is going on. All senses are critical to an actor’s success.
When i look at this picture i see swirls of orange fire. They kid of look like snow flakes and they look like they are getting smaller and circle one another. There is also a grayish color in the background that has some light reflecting through it. They also look like prisms on light with only a few colors. I think this represents some kind of chinese symbol. Maybe the symbol for fire or the symbol for food. It looks like something you would find in a chinese martial arts building. This picture reminds me and tells me of fire and some old fable story could go along with it.
ReplyDeleteWhen i began listening to this there were only a few instruments playing. Then as the song went along more and more joined in. There was a switch in the music in the middle of it and it went from something you would hear in India to something you would here at a rave. Music has different meanings to different people. I get more of a feeling from this. I begin to see hills and water of a lake. There may be a few houses but not many and there are not to many people. It tells me to be calm and to relax.
I am feeling the tv remote control. I use this piece of equipment nearly everyday, I feel hard plastic. There are also soft buttons on it and they rise up out of the remote. This remote does not connect to me. I use it a lot but it has no emotional meaning.
Sight is critical for an actor to make sure he can see his emotions coming out of him. It is hard to see your on face but you can control your body language and change things based off that. Sound is important so you can position and move your body according to how the music feels to you. Touch is important so you can feel what you are trying to do.
Response to Browning:
I understand how Browning feels this way. I also picture myself that way. There are many animals around but i am not the one being chased. I see diefferent animals in a field eating around and sitting beside a water hole. It would be pretty cool to go to africa to see this amazing event.
Response to Geordy Douglas:
ReplyDeleteI like how you described the picture. I can really see the picture meaning fire or for Chinese martial arts. There was definitely music that was up tempo in the middle of the song. The song made me feel like I was in Africa and you said India. I have not heard anything like this in America. The t.v. remote just controls what your mind wants you to watch. The remote has the power to flip through the channels and read your mind. Every body movement is critical to an actor's success and I agree with you on sight also. An actor must use all of the emotions that he can.
I see fire. I see as if a person is falling into a man hole and it ends up in hell. The orange and red colors symbolize fire and the black and grey symbolizes the hole and emptiness someone is falling into. This is a sign or picture a man sees in this dream when he has done something bad. This is also what a conscious of a man shows the man for a few seconds right when he attempts or tries to attempt to do something he knows it is bad for him. This picture tells me that everyone would suffer for their sin they had committed. This tells me I would be punished for the things I am doing wrong.
ReplyDeleteThis song makes me think about eating Indian food. I am extremely hungry and I like Indian food. It kind of like a techno mixed with Indian beats and their culture. It sounds really boring at first but then with the slight pause it made it good and it starts back up with a fast beats which switches the tempo of the song and excitement. As it goes along, more and more beats comes along. I am actually dancing with it now. I am “Fist pumping like Jersey Shore”.
I can feel my desk. It is made out of wood and it has lines on it. I can feel the grids on the desk and how it was made out from a smooth carved wood. After feeling the grid lines on the desk I can easily feel what other things are on the desk. It shows a picture of the desk and the computer and the keyboard and the mouse just appears in my head. I have a vision of everything. It seems like if I was blind, I can still see everything just by using my feeling sense. I am not sure if you have seen the movie Dare Devil, but whenever he hears a slight sound he could see the whole room in his head. That’s the same way I feel when I feel around objects.
Sight is extremely important to actors. So are sound and touch. The actors need to be able to see what he needs to do and what he needs to stand next or between a prop when he or she is acting. The sound sense is also important in a way that some other actor’s voice is his or her cue to move or do the next task. Touch is also important because you could see the other actor’s touching something and that’s also could be a cue to other actors. All three of these senses are extremely important to actors.
In the picture I see some Asian martial arts kind of picture. The curls look like leaves of a tree that usually appears in a piece of Asian art. It also looks like predatory creatures on fire, chasing something. They are all on a mission to attack something........probably me. Nevertheless, they are committed and persistent on the poor thing they are attacking. At the beginning of the song I feel like I am some soldier or a fugitive in a hostile environment being chased by a large amount of people. I feel like I am in an Indian jungle during the pursuit. I also feel like i must use my surroundings and skills in order to survive in this race. When the technoish part of the song starts, I feel like I am watching this beautiful, sexy Indian belly dancer doing her thing. At the part where the music sounds like it is from the 1970s I honestly do not know. The first thing I was able to grab was a few boxes of contact lenses that are held together by a strong rubber-band. The tight band is the only thing that is keeping the boxes together. It is a fragile thing. All it takes is a little snap for it all to come apart. All the senses are important when acting. You must be aware of everything and react accordingly.
ReplyDeleteRESPONSE TO BROWNING STUBBS
ReplyDeleteYeah I can see you running for your life from some mad hungry lion in the song.
In the pciture I see a fireball. The fireball comes out of nothing. This also reminds me of fire spreading fast. This could represent that evil (fire) can spread fast throughout the world. Th evil spreads spontaneosly and cannot be stopped without effort. The evil will eventually consume you if you do nothing.
ReplyDeleteThis is a pretty good song but it is pretty long. It first starts out as a old Indian tune. Then it goes to new age techno, then back to the old Indian tune. This means that there is a old age that transforms into the new age. Then it goes back to the old age becuase the old music is better. The new age music had no instruments, it was just a computer playing it. The old age was better and deserved to start the piece and finish it.
I picked up a wallet. The wallet is tough, but soft and comfortable at the same time. I it soft to the touch, and it is hard to tear and it can withstand the elements. It has two folds that make three sections. The wallet reminds of human skin. It is soft, but it is tough enough to withstand the elements.
Sight, touch, and sound are critical for actors in many ways. For an actor to be effective, the person has to actually expierence what he is acting. An good actor will make up the sight, sound, and touch to make the scene more realistic. For example an actor will pretend a stove is hot, when it is actually not. An actor must react to those senses.
RESPONSE at Zakk Torpoco: The fire does look like it is attacking something or someone. I have to disagree with a sexy woman dancing to that song. I would imagine someone rapping to it though. Your response is interesting.
The first thing that jumps out at me is the bright sparkling orange star-like formations This really stimulates my sight. The next thing I see is the grayish background. Then I see the purple streaks that seem to be randomly spread out throughout the picture. Then I see the small lines that are in the background. I also see the spirals that are made by the shapes. What this means to me is that it represents today’s society and its short term memory. Or a persons mind. It is as if the colorful bright orange designs are ideas or fads that are resent and fresh on the mind. It seems as if the grey and other shapes are past ideas or fads that have been long forgotten and faded in the background. When I closed my eyes and grabbed the first thing around me. It seemed to be very soft and furry. It was also warm and started to make noise, and then I realized that it was my dog, Maggie. This connects to me, because she is a cool dog and I like her. The softness of her fur brings back good memories and makes me happy. Sight sound and feeling are all very important for and actor. I believe that an actor can use sound to judge the audiences take of the acting, also they can use sight. Feeling would be the most difficult. I think that sight is the most important.
ReplyDeleteThis picture says alot to me. The bright orange light shows the exotic and crazy times of our lives. Your life is what you choose it to be. The gray light resembles the sketchy, evil, and sinful decisions of our lives. The black background, reminds me of the everyday normal stuff of our lives that we just breeze through. The flames in my opinion can be whatever the person looking at is thinks. Again, life is what you make of it, and I think that the flames can be an example of that.
ReplyDeleteFor some reason, this tune really connected to me. I immediately thought of playing a big game, or performing for people in any activity. It really got my adrenaline pumping. The repetitiveness affected me positivley. The indie tune got me thinking of the outside world and all that endure it. The band tune made me realize that there are many different aspects of the world. This song really cooled me off, and made me think of many different things.
There was a random cd that I first found. It was smooth of course and had a wierd texture to it. It definitley connects to me because music is a big part of my life. I really get connected to it, and it changes my thought process. 1 single cd can make or break a singer's life.
Touch sight and sound are so critical for an actor. I believe that sight would actually be the least important. Yes, because you don't get the idea or object into your head as much as the other two. The aspect of touch is very important. You can feel the texture, and it gives you an idea of what that object has endured through. Sound is very important also, because you can really connect with what you have to deal with and it can give you an insight on something you can compare that thing with in your life.
RESPONSE TO MAX lamarcus CHANG
ReplyDeleteI can definitely see how you can see fire in the picture, and I can see the hole. I agree with the music on how its slow at first and picks up. I'm not really sure about the indian food thing. And I can definitely picture you fist pumping right now. new JS thursday!
In this particular picture I see a lot of movement and it really reminds me of fire. The bright orange swirls make it seem like I’m falling into the picture. The grey lines look like feathers floating down the abyss also. This picture is almost mesmerizing but I feel like the more I look at it the more I will see. It almost looks like it has some oriental flare to it.
ReplyDeleteThis song was also very mesmerizing. It was like a worldly sounding Girl Talk song. I heard music from everywhere I could imagine. I noticed a lot of oriental, Irish, and techno in it. It was really interesting to listen to and I liked how it sounded varied from all over the world. It was like someone blended every kind of music all over the world into one song with an upbeat tempo. It was very interesting to listen to and I actually listened to it while I was doing some other homework too.
When I reached out I felt my phone. I felt the silicon case on the outside and how it had a lot of grip. I then picked it up and felt the smooth screen side and the buttons at the bottom. I felt the top where the case had ripped off at the corner. I also felt the camera lens on the back of the phone.
I believe sound, sight, and touch are critical for actors because they provide a sense of making things real. Without sound, sight, and touch, an actor would never be able to actually become the character he is trying to be. He would never be able to actually feel, hear, or see what is needed to make himself look real on stage. The senses are extremely critical for actors and actresses.
Response to Corbin Carter
ReplyDeleteI can deffinetly agree with you on the crazy movement in the picture and I can also see how the repetition in the song could get you pumped. I also agree with how important sight, sound, and touch are critical for actors.
1)The picture given to us for the blog is an interesting combination of oranges, yellows, blacks, and grays. It has an interesting feel that is both weird (since I’m not one into abstract art) and strangely appealing. The best way for me to describe it is as if the given picture was reflecting an intricate fireworks display or an explosive battle. I truly do enjoy the contrast in colors between the bright orange and dark gray.
ReplyDelete2)This particular piece of music makes me envision the exotic east, if feels like a song that would be most commonly heard in places such as Istanbul, Mecca, or some other places in the Middle-East or Central Asia. In many aspects it reminds me of action films like The Kingdom, and the Jason Bourne series. It has an attractive and up-beat style with a fast rhythm that you can dance to.
3)After blindly groping for an object on my desk the first thing I came in contact with was a thin, cylindrical object that after several seconds of feeling I deduced to be my favorite pen. The G2 Pilot has a very characteristic pen grip as well as a pen hook. I find it rather appropriate for me to find a pen since I love to write! Writing is my most passionate hobby and I spend hours every day working on my stories.
4)For an actor, being able to see, feel, and hear the environment around you is an important aspect of theatrical work. If an actor cannot identify with his surroundings, often times it becomes difficult to act in a place you don’t quite feel comfortable in. A way to fix such an obstacle, would be to practice over and over again until you can be absorbed by your character as well as the setting of what story you are portraying.
1. This picture can represent many things; in my perspective, the smaller, orange "branches" toward the middle of the picture are trying to escape from the fiery realms of the bigger groupings of orange and black. If these colors on the outside were "happy/cheerful" colors such as yellow and light blue, I would say that the orange branches are receiving a bear hug from the larger coloring groups. However, the black and orange colors suggest otherwise - more along the lines of fire, commotion, and panic.
ReplyDelete2. At the outset of the song, I traveled an imaginary journey to a large Indian city. I envisioned myself in an Indian nightclub, with the techno beat playing as lights illuminated the dance floor. As odd as this sounds, I imagined that all of the people in the club were American, not Indian - perhaps this abstract thinking was due to the slight changes in the beat as the song progressed. The song's conclusion gave me the image of being stuck in the middle of the desert, without water or food.
3. The first item my hand came into contact with was a pair of cheap sunglasses. How ironic! The quality of these sunglasses represents my tendency to be cheap - or, in more polite terms, frugal - in regards to spending money. I do desire certain items once in a while, but when I do I usually try to find the cheapest variant of the item that exists.
4. These three senses that were just used are extremely vital to success in theatrical work. An actor has to see, feel, and hear things as if he or she was in a real situation - not simply as part of a written, rehearsed dialogue in which the actors are "robots," saying their respective lines without any feelings attached. Without correct usage of the senses, an "actor" is not acting - he or she is "winging it."
Response to Andrew Malic:
ReplyDeleteThe combination of colors present within the picture do indeed provide a strange attraction; it seems as if they are trying to draw the viewer into the picture. I, like you, immediately envisioned an Asian country - for me it was India, whereas you were more broad in your definition - within the first few seconds of the song. I find it interesting to see that the song reminded you of certain movies - I'm not a big movie person, so I can't really relate. Finally, I find it unique that your love of writing extends to the point of you using a "favorite pen" - I seem to simply grab what's there and go.
When I look at the picture it amazes me. There is a lot of color and a lot of random things happening in the picture. Nothing is happening that is obvious to the human eye, it is just a compilation of a bunch of different things. In my opinion, I see a bunch of fire, or at least the fire color represents fire in my mind. The grayish color in the background may represent the ash. It is almost like the fire is coming towards you because of the way it gets blurry up closer. My opinion is that it is fire, or something fearful, approaching you very fast and the gray-ish color is the substance that has already been burned and turned into ash. There could be many representations that people could interpret from this particular photo.
ReplyDeleteThis piece of music is a rather interesting piece. I have heard the beginning part from a tv show that I cannot recall. I like how the sound builds as the time goes on, and then it dulls back down at the end. It has some pretty catchy techno-like music in the middle of the song. It could represent life and the ups and downs that accompanies it. At the beginning of your life, it is kind of lame and not much is going on because you are being taken care of by your parents. But as you grow older, you start to mature and become more independent. Different things start to happen in your life and it progresses and becomes more interesting and eventful. Then at the end of your life, you are old and frail. It is back to the way you were when you are born. You are being taken care of by your relatives and are very frail and weak.
The object I touched was my cell phone. It had a unique texture to it. Itwas very bupy because of the letters and keys. It does connect to me in a lot of ways. It is the way I communicate with my friends and keep in touch with people who I might not see very often. It also is a sense of safety to know if I am somewhere and something bad happens I have my cell phone right there with me to call for help. But then again, there are sometimes where a cell phone can become a huge distraction.
There are many ways that sight, sound, and touch are critical for an actor. I think that sight is critical because of the fact that they look out when they are doing a show and see the crowd supporting them and behind them. Sound is also very important, they need to be able to hear the person saying there lines so they can then respond, and that way the play will flow really smooth. Touch is also critical, because during a performance and actor is sort of in his own little world. Sometimes he doesnt think about whats happening, like Mr. Williams telling us. They need to be able to feel props on the stage to come in touch with themselves, and also it will be that much better and add to the successfulness of the play.
RESPONSE TO ANDREW MALIC:
I can see where the music clip would represent something exotic. That is how it kind of came across to me to. That is pretty unique that you love to write and you randomly picked up a pen. I am not really involved in the school plays like you are, and I could understand where it would be hard to act in an environment where you don't feel comfortable or are not well prepared.
The first thing that hits me about the picture is the color of the orange that pops out. In my opinion, it reminds me of a firework going off. It also, in a way, reminds me of those explosions that appear on the sun. The black in the background kind of looks like outer space. This could represent anger and agression, or excitement. It is a pretty cool picture though, honestly. Many people could interpret this in a different way.
ReplyDeleteAt first I thought the music was like something from India or the Middle Eastern countries, but then it changes to like a dance song. Then the music changes again and it sounds like Michael Jackson's song-Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough, and that is a good song, in my opinion. Personally, I would never listen to this music because after a while it kind of starts to get annoying. But I like how it keeps changing.It is symbolic to how your life changes from time to time. The tempo and the mood changes very often.
The object I touched was a glass. The texture was smooth and hard. I didn't have any connection to it because when I opened my eyes I saw that my brother used it to spit dip in, so i'm kind of mad right now.
Sight, sound, and touch are critical for an actor to perform at their best ability because sight, sound, and touch all go into the transformation the actor must go through in order to be a good actor. Sight is important becuase it always for the actor to understand the environment that the play is taking place. Also, the place plays a key role in determining who the actor is and how they must act. Sound is key because, like sight, it allows for the actor to understand his/her role. Touch is very important becuase it allows for the actor to understand the setting in which they are acting. Feel goes hand-in-hand with sight. All three senses are valuable and essential when transforming into a certain role.
RESPONSE TO MATT MURPHY:
I agree with what you said about the picture how it is similar to fire and how something is approaching you making fear and excitement.
When I first look at the picture it has this firey look to it. It looks like swirls of fire are coming toward you. It also looks like there is some kind of wires in the photo. The photo is saying to me you have to make it the fire to get to the good side. Through the fire, to the limit, to the wall. For a chance to be with you, I'd gladly risk it all. Through the fire, through whatever come what may. For a chance at loving you, I'd take it all away. Right down through the wire, even through the fire. In other words what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. It also means to me that to whom much is given much is required. God will take you through the fire to see if you can handle what he is about to do for you.
ReplyDeleteIn the first part of the song I hear like some Indian music or something. Then, it changes up into like some kind of techno music or something. Not my type of music in any kind of way. But I feel like this song is taking the listener to different parts of the world by switching up the music and the way it sounds.
The senses are critical for an actor because you have to transform yourself into character.
In the picture, I see a very detailed organism. It may be some kind of fractals or any detailed organism that is magnified immensely. It is a very trippy picture and is fun to look at. It contains very intricate designs and may be some type of modern art. This picture looks like something I would use as a desktop background.
ReplyDeleteMy first impressions on the song, was that it sounded oriental in nature with the first stringed instrument kicking in. Then it turned into a more dance song when the beat kicked in. It turned into a defendant dance song when the electronic bit started. The bass started kicking and the oriental stringed instrument stopped so it kind of turned into a techno/trance song. Overall, the song is fun to listen to and has an upbeat tone to it.
I closed my eyes and started to feel my blanket next to me. It is very soft and warm. It is extremely comfortable and because of that, it makes me happy. It helps me get a good night’s rest, and therefore it contributes to my wellbeing.
An actor must know what the audience is seeing, so they can make their message as clear as possible. An actor must also let his voice be heard as best to his ability so the audience can feel what he is meaning. An actor’s touch is important because he must make his physical performance graceful and full of emotion. When an actor is doing something physical with another actor is must be as natural as possible.
RESPONSE TO RYAN EASON
I liked the way you described the picture as having to work through the fire to get to the meaningful things on the other side.
Response to Blog 3:
ReplyDeleteThe picture gives off multiple visions and/or feelings when you first look at it. The picture seems as if it is 3 dimensional, which is impossible because it is seen on a computer screen. But the artist’s style causes the viewer to feel like the art is coming towards him or her. Initially, the figure seems like it is shooting fire at you, but when looked at more in depth, it is just a basic drawing.
The first thing I thought about when seeing the figure was Harry Potter. Because the fire-like designs originate from one centralized area, one can think that it is a spell being cast from a wand, like in Harry Potter. Also, in the video games or on Harry Potter themed things, there are similar designs with many of the same colors. In the same sense of the fire having an origin, the overall figure tells me that all things come from an origin; fire, thought of as bad, can represent a problem and one can say that the figure suggests “there is a root to all problems”.
This piece is very interesting. When it started, I thought it was going to be a normal Indian-style song (obviously from India, not Native Americans). It began with a Indian feel to it, but around the 1:10 mark, it became more modern. Some of the sounds were more technology based. The first minute of the song reminded me of the music played in Slumdog Millionaire, but the remaining three minutes make me think about a dance party or something similar to that. There was a little marching band thrown into the song around the 3:20 mark, but it did not change the song’s vibe.
The nearest thing to me is my Playstation 3 controller. The controller is mostly smooth, but it has buttons and two analog sticks with a different feel to them. The different feeling on the analog sticks is to allow the player to get a grip. The controller connects to me because of how often I play my Playstation 3. During the summer, I would played almost every day. Now I only play four or five days a week, which some still consider a lot. It allows me to relieve stress, clear my mind, and eliminate boredom.
These three senses are very important to an actor. They allow him to really get a feeling of what is going on around him. If the actor is aware of his surroundings and knows what they all mean, then he will be more comfortable and perform better overall.
________________________
Response to Nathan Allen:
I did not think about the audience when it came to the three perceptions working together, but I see what you mean. If we have a correlation between our ideas of our surroundings, then the play/show/opera/etc, will make much more sense.
When I take my first look at the picture I see a fire storm sweeping through the night. It almost looks like its in a middle of an open field and things are burning like some ones crops. It looks like someones lively hood is being burned with it.
ReplyDeleteThe music sounded like it belongs in a movie right when the main action in a movie is taken place. It almost feels like some one is running for their life. I have heard the song on a video game before I think.
I feel a big rectangular object. It feels like it is running because I can feel like a fan or something moving inside of the object. It feels to be about a foot or so tall and only about 4 inches wide.
I believe that an actor has to grasp everything he can to really get into a part or role. You have to become comfortable in your surroundings.
In responce to Grant Ricossa
ReplyDeleteThe picture does look like the flames that come off the wand during Harry Potter
Response to Andrew Lindemann:
ReplyDeleteI was extremely impressed with how specific and in detail you wrote your responses, whereas I kept mine vague and open. In another blog, I believe you mentioned you had a passion for journalism, and the observations using your three senses reflect your high attention to detail.
Response To Blog
ReplyDeleteThis is a pretty strange picture as pictures go, but most all of them are these days. I miss the good times when painters would depict an actual person or scene or something we can understand - not try to "reach you" through colors and shapes. From what I can make out, it is a picture of flowers on fire at night. From looking at the curly orange shapes, I could see them as flowers. They are surrounded by orange flame-like shapes which look like fire. And it is a dark black background so it must be night.
This music reminds me, at first, of a weird oriental place. But then the computer generated looped sounds enter the scene. It builds up, reaches somewhat of a hiatus in the middle and when it finally reaches the end, it has returned to its original tune and sound. What does this piece of music say to me? It confirms what I've been thinking for years. Music has gone straight to hell. It tells me that we need to go back to real music before it's too late. The rap and hip-hop needs to go. Along with computer generated stuff like this...
The object I touched was rectangular shaped. It had a rough and course texture on one side and a smooth texture on the other. I also felt a long cord running out from the back. When I opened my eyes I saw (as I had guessed) the speaker. It connects to me because I used it to listen to the piece of music.
Sight, sound, and touch are critical for an actor. Without them, they would not be able to see themselves, the stage, other actors, or where to go. They would not be able to hear and respond to their cues or know when to say their lines. Touch, I don't think, is as important. I suppose it could be critical if an actor has to move around in the dark or blindfolded.
Response To Andrew Lindemann
Wow! You really thought deep into all three of the assignments. I tried to but I could not go much deeper than what I saw and heard on the surface, but that usually works for me. Yours was well written too. You ought to be a writer.
When I first look at the picture I just see lines in a spiral, but when I look at it closer and really delve into what it says to me, I see sparks stemming off from a source that we cannot even attempt to see. We know its there though because how else would we see the orange flames that come to us if it didn’t come from somewhere. It is like the light in the darkness that spreads throughout the entire picture. Sorry to get all philosophical on you guys but, its like God and our faith, everything stemming from the original source, and ending where we are, our own little leaf of fiery being. It is also a design that you might see in like a desert paintings.
ReplyDeleteAs for the song as it first started out I thought it was like a Middle Eastern sort of song, but as it progressed it seemed to be somewhat jazz-like. As it went farther it turned into a techno song. It basically spoke to me as a melding of genres, as all different kinds of music came together to form this one song. This song shows that anything can work together to make the whole collaboration better.
The object I touched was the empty Dr. Pepper bottle I had just finished drinking out of. The plastic is cool and smooth, but farther down the bottle there is a design that is etched into the bottle. I do not really have any connection to it.
The actor’s main feelings are inputted into the things around them. If they act like they are angry then the audience will see, hear and somewhat feel the anger. They make decisions based off of appearance not necessarily what you want them to feel.
When I see this picture I think of one of those electic glass balls. It reminds me of the spot where you would touch them and all of the color would go to where you touched it. This picture also reminds me of a lightning storm. It reminds me of the way that lightning looks. It also reminds me of then look of a lightning strike during a lightning storm or during dry lightning.
ReplyDeleteThe music reminds me of indian music from India. In a non-racial or stereotypical way it just reminds me of India and other Middle Eastern countries. This music also seems to have a bit of some other tyoe of music mixed in with it that seems to somewhat jazz it up. The middle of the song seems more like techno music than it does of what I had first thought it was. All in all this song still makes me think of the Middle East but a more modern one.
The closest object to me was the stand that the computer is on. I felt the door on it and it is made of wood. The wood seems to be strong as it seems not to bend or buckle. It also seems to be ingraved with precision. It feels like it is sturdy and took some time to create.
Based on what I just did and witnessed, sight, sound, and touch are very critical. Sight by itself lets an actor get used to his surroundings while taking in the audiences facial expressions and responses. Sound is just as important as sight because it compliments sight. Sound can let an actor hear the audiences' response to how the actor is doing and can help define a mood or emotion on stage. Touch is as important as the other two. Touch helps the actor really get the feel of what his character is going through or the life of the time period he is in by the clothing he is wearing.
Response to Christopher Pietrangelo
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with Christopher about how art is different now than how it used to be. I much prefer paintings of people or scenes and things as such. I thought we had a very similar view of the music too.
Response to Browning Stubbs:
ReplyDeleteI agree with what you said about the need to sense your surroundings on stage. If you don't have a good grasp on your surroundings, you are just going through the motions but you just seem to be like a ghost on stage.
In this picture I see swirling balls of fire. This picture looks to me like it represents something deep and emotional that somebody wouldn’t like to share. I see it as also being mixed emotions about something, but also being fiery about it.
ReplyDeleteThis was a very interesting piece of music. I like how it went from culture to culture and generation to generation. At the beginning I thought it was going to be an old time folk song but it ended up being a very modern mix of all types of music mixed together. This piece says to me that things can be very mixed up and different than they originally appear to be.
I examined and touched a Gatorade bottle that was half full. I don’t know if you can really say I connected with the bottle but it was a little cold and it made my hand kind of wet from the condensation. I held it for a minute then my hand got cold.
The four senses are extremely important to an actor because sometimes while acting you might be deprived from one of your symptoms as part of the act so all of your others will have to be sharper than usual.
Response to Mitchell:
I can defiantly see a wallet being soft like human skin and feeling smooth.
When I see this picture I think of fire I think of a burning building. the picture is also very repetitive and it looks like it keeps going and going. It also reminds me of a computer screen saver because it has bright colors and it is very hypnotic. When I listened to the music it made me feel like I was in India. It had very Indian rhythms and also had a very hypnotic sound. It made me think of one of those snake charmers when they play there instruments. A little bit further into the song it became very robotic. That part reminded me of the future and how music has changed over the years. The closet thing near me to feel was a football. It felt very rough and it was bumpy. I felt connected to the ball when I had it in a throwing grip. i felt like it was an extention of my hand. I believe that the senses are very important to be an actor. A person really has to get a visual sense of what he or she is going to play. Also if he is playing someone with an accent he needs to hear they way that person speaks and they way he says his words. I still do not understand how touch comes into acting yet but hopefully I will learn very soon how you utilize that in acting.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Jason
ReplyDeleteI agree a lot with Jason about the music. I also thought it sounded like India in a non racist way. I also believed it sounded like techno robotic music. I also agree with what the picture looks like. It does sort of look like lightning I never thought of seeing it that way.
The first thing that comes to my mind when I see the picture is the fire coming at me. The blend of orange and black makes it look Halloween related and cool.This would be a cool picture to have as a desktop background.
ReplyDeleteThe music definitely sounds like it comes from some oriental place. I personally have never heard music like this before because I only listen to rock. So I admit that I do not really like the music because it is different.
The first thing I felt near my computer was a pen. The pen reminded me of the hard work that I have put forth in school.The pen did not necessarily give me a connection though.
Sight, sound, and touch are extremely important for an actor to be successful on stage. He or she has to be aware of their surroundings to adapt to the specific scene in a play.
Response to Nathan Allen: I totally agree with the music coming from some oriental area. I also liked your image of the photo.
The first thing that jumps off the page and I notice was the smaller swirls of orange fire looking things. They really caught my eye when I first looked at the picture. I think this picture could represent hell. It is very fiery and comes from an object that we cannot see. Hell is somewhere but we do not know where it originates just like the flames in this picture.
ReplyDeleteAt the beginning it sounds like music from way back in an oriental place but then it keeps adding different pieces and it makes it more interesting. The way I think the first part was put together was that it started with a very old piece and kept getting to newer and newer music until it got to a beat that people might listen to today. I didn't like the beginning but towards the end it got a little more interesting and therefore I liked it.
When I went to touch something near me I touched my cell phone that was sitting next to me. I have a case on it so it felt grip like on the side and on the back it felt like glass. I had an immediate connection because I have my phone in my hand a lot.
Sight, sound, and touch are very important to an actor. They have to know what they are dealing with, when to deliver their lines, and where to stand. Sight, sound, and touch give them the ability to do all of this.
Response to Merritt Jacks: I like that you also saw the fire and I understand how you could see the fire coming out at you. Your thoughts on sight, sound, and touch are very true. The music only sounds like oriental for a small time and then incorporates newer beats but it's understandable to dislike the music clip.
This picture says alot to me. The interconnecting parts of orange represents a similarity or community that binds us as humans. There are small interworking symbols inside the orange lines and I can't really tell what it is. Therefore, it gives me a sense of secrecy as if there's part of this picture that the artist didn't want anyone to know about. In this sense, the picture as a whole seems to me to be that despite all of our "secrets" or differences, we are all a community and should stand together.
ReplyDeleteThis piece of music is unique to say the least. To me, it goes through quite a few different styles of music. It starts off tribal-ish, then goes into techno, switches back and forth between techno beats and motown-type horns, then back to tribal with a little bit of classical-sounding violins thrown in the background. It seemed to cover a broad range of peoples and generations and it therefore just reinstates my previous statement about the artwork about community.
The first thing I grabbed was a calculator. It reminded me of the effort I put into studying algebra 2 and chemistry because I am not naturally good at either and it takes a lot of effort on my part to make good grades in those classes. I didn't really connect with it though because it just made me feel like I had more work to do.
The three senses; sight, sound, and touch are very important for anyone but especially for actors. It gives them the motivations and the insight to be able to give a convincing performance.
In response to Tyler Pelts:
ReplyDeleteI can definitely see how you would feel like you're falling into the picture. I also agree with your statement "That without sense, an actor wouldn't make himself be real to the audience".
When I see this picture, it brings an image of how something can just come out of nothing. The picture is just a black background with an orange or red tint to it that could be looked at in many ways. People could portray it was fire coming out of the ground, or a dragon coming out of a cave. I think the true meaning of this picture is that something can come out of anything, and that is our goal for acting class this year.
ReplyDeleteThis music piece reminds me a lot of what the music would be like in an Asian moving while the climax is going on. It reminds it to me that way because it has the same main beat with a bunch of additives as the song progresses.
The object I felt was my cell phone. It gave me a deeper thought of what a cell phone can really be used for. Yes, I use it mainly for getting a hold of my friends or just socializing, but here is a deeper meaning to the cell phone. It is able to build up our social skills and confidence of what to say. I never though that a cell phone was much more than something to communicate with friends until I did this exercise, I realize a lot of more thing can come out of the littlest things.
It is very critical for the actor because without these things he cannot really react to anything. If there were something that he needed to see past the actual image, he wouldn’t be able to. With these three senses, an actor can think of something deeper than it actually is, and that is a main tool for a good actor.
RESPONSE TO MATT MURPHY:
I felt the exact same thing you did on the touch exercise, and agree with you on that. I like how you went into detail with the picture and the song. Good Job
The first thing I think of when I look at the picture is that there has just been a huge explosion that has created a great fire. The first detail to catch my eye was the large orange spot on the left side of the picture. Also I the small images are dragons that have just been brought out and are angry because of the explosion. The orange color makes the picture very energetic and exciting. When I saw the black I thought of a very dark and scary place that no one would like to be in. I think the black makes it a little depressing. I think it shows that in life there are sad parts and exciting times.
ReplyDeleteThis piece of music was unique. I have never heard anything like it. For about the first minute it was very oriental and sounded like Indian music. Then it went further on and it turned to more modern techno music. To me the peice says that you can join anything together and make it into one
When I closed my eyes and grabbed a tv remote. The front was bumpy because of all the buttons and the back was smooth. I don't think I connect to it.
The senses are critical beacuse an actor must know how to use each sense in a certain situation while performing
Response to Corbin Carter: I agree with you that the colors show our life and sight, sound, and touch are very critical for an actor
When I looked at the picture I saw many things. I saw fire dancing, it was like a field of flowers burning in the fire of the sun. I also saw dragons playing, like multiple dragons dancing to the sound of children's laughter. To me the picture also gave off an asian vibe, like it had an asian background, in my opinion. The picture also reminded me of a movie I watched and that is what the guy saw when he was high. When I listened to the music I also thought it seemed to have an asian background. Or maybe more of a middle eastern background. When I listen to the song it is telling me a story about to men just sitting in an open field doing nothing, but waiting on something. When I closed my eyes the first thing I touched was and held was a pen. Mr. Williams I tried and thought really hard, but there is no way I could tie a pen into this blog. I think that these senses are important to an actor because you can not just say your lines you have to be able to feel them. When you act in order to capture the audience you must give it your all, physically and mentally. You have to feel the set, hear your co-actors and see the performance in your mind every time. If you are able to accomplish all these things you should be able to become a great actor.
ReplyDelete1.Well this picture is saying I am confused and I need help my life is turned upside down. There is evil the dark and there is evil in the bright. You are trying to go some where but you can't.
ReplyDelete2.Someone that is running and can't get away from something bad but is trying so hard but just is sucked back in by this thing. That controls him. He does not no what to do because he finley realizes that there is no point of running it is going to get him no where. So he stops and is just going to be controlled.
3.No I really don't get this one.
4.Well all of these thing r great to have. But if you r an actor you need to no how to use them and go in to your own world. Just like number 3 I do not now how to take my self in to that world yet. But actors no how to do it and that is how they can cry and then go right back to happy. It is all in there inner body is trained. To be able to take there body to that place of comfort.
To Jason Haag:
ReplyDeleteI really loved your post it was really interesting and full of detail. Your post made me want to finish reading it it was really good.
In this picture I see, someone looking through a kaleidoscope. As if they are looking at something bright and dark. The orange ninja star looking thing in the left was the first thing that caught my attention. The bright colors make me think of something loud and exciting. The darker colors help bring out the brightness of the orange ninja star things. The darker colors also help show a dark side to the image. There is the bright, which could be happy; and then there is the dark, which could represent a sad or mysterious. The contrast of both colors help each other come out and are more prevalent to the human eye.
ReplyDeleteThe song was very interesting. At first it had a tribal and what could be considered an Eastern sounding song; maybe Indian. I could feel it building up and then right at the climax it changed to a more modern techno/trance style of music. I was a good change, but very unexpected. Once that started I noticed a pattern and also could hear it building up and then going right back into the tribal/Indian style until the end.
When I closed my eyes and grabbed the remote. I could feel the rubber-like buttons, which made it have a strange feeling to it. It was very bumpy and when feeling the back it was a sharp change. It all the sudden became smooth. I did not have a connection with the remote. It is hard to connect to an inanimate object, in my opinion.
These senses are important to an actor because, if they can feel an object and really connect with it the audience will react in such a way, as if they had a certain connection with the object, or picture, or even some music.
Response to Chad Steward: I agree with that the music, any music, can be joined together and make it into one.
When I looked at this picture the first thing it remined me of something that Mr. Williams would have hanging in his house. Secondly i saw what looked to be fire, like it was a burning hatred for something, or maybe a burning desire for something..or someone. The song made me feel like I was some where in India. Sent on a mission from the CIA. Also it reminded me of being in a taxi in NYC. The first thing i grabbed was news paper. The sports section ofcourse. It felt rough and dry, like the sands of a desert. It also left a sticky feeling on my fingers from the ink.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Colin Raferty: I also aggree that it is very hard to feel any sort of connection to an inanimate object.
ReplyDelete1) This picture is a mixture of bright orange swirls and dark spots in between the swirls. The orange swirls seem to be coming from a central point; and from there on out they get larger. There are also white feathery tendrils connecting the swirls of orange.
ReplyDeleteI think this photo could portray symbolically the Big Bang, or the beginning of the universe and life itself. In the center, you have the swirls meet at a point which appears to be black, representing "nothing". Then the swirls explode with vibrancy and color and begin to fill the blackness in an instant. Then the swirls themselves get bigger and begin to branch off into other swirls in the blackness. The white tendrils connecting and propelling the movement of the swirls could represent God, constantly moving and helping His creation, the Universe. You can see in the picture that the swirls continue outside of the picture, representing that time continues, and so the white follows, constantly helping and pulling it along into the new world it has created.
2) In the beginning of this song, there is one instrument or group of instruments that sound like it is Indian or something of the like. As the song progresses, this Indian type group is joined by other types of instruments and music from all kinds of different areas and genres. Soon, the song is a wonderful medley of all of these things, and it fits together perfectly. About halfway through the song, it fades to just one group. Then that group is once again joined by the others in the harmonious melody. In the end of the song, it fades back to almost just the Indian music again, but it is carried out, almost like a water mark, if you will, by the other instruments.
This piece is interesting, and it could stand for a variety of things. The first thing that came to my mind was America. This song could stand for the progression and development of the United States. In the beginning, it was just the new country of Englishmen and some French and Spanish settlers. Over time, more and more peoples from varieties of different places came to America and joined in the building of the country. As time passes, several different groups become dominant, but it always leads back to it being a group effort. No one is anything without the rest. America is nothing without its peoples. In the end, it all comes back to the fact that it is America, with its entire people supporting it.
3) The first thing I grabbed is some kind of a cable. It has two ends that are different from each other. One end is a USB input. It is rather long, and a little twisted. Te other port is shaped like a U. It could connect to my life in that I connect with other people through specific ways. I know what one end is because it is me. However, I don't always know what the other end is. I don't know what the other person is feeling. Sometimes the connection two people have can be long and complicated, like the cable. When I look at the cable there are many things that I could not tell by feeling it. For instance, it is red and silver. The casing over the cable is clear and you can see the web of silver inside.
4) These senses of Sight, Sound, and Touch are important because you have to be able to tell what is going on around you, and then own it. You have to take what someone else has made and make it your own. An actor is nothing if he just copies someone else. He may be able to take ideas from another person, but copying them is no fun for anyone. The main thing that actors need to have is originality. Without this they are just projector screens. With this they are a synthesizer. They take what someone puts into them, and put their own spin on it.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteResponse to C. Graeter...
ReplyDeleteA) Yeah, Mr. Williams probably would have that hanging in his house somewhere. Nice idea about the orange of the picture looking like a fire burning something.
B)Interesting thought on the song, that sounds fun.
C)Nice description of the sports section.
D) You didn't actually do the fourth part....
E) If you read this before Mr. Williams checks it, I advise you to go back and write an additional 82 words, because you only wrote 112 words in this blog. You will most likely lose points if you don't, just saying.
Blog 3
ReplyDeleteThe picture on the page really stands out with the colors, swirls, and the designs in it. But what I see in this picture is fire like hell and the blackness seems like it is darkness. The reddish with yellow light looking star looks like the Devil since he is red and God since he is light fighting or something to me. It could represent the darkness and fire taking over like hell and the star looking thing could be God trying to put it all out.
What I hear in this piece of music is like sort a back in the day type of stuff or like Japanese type of music. As it goes on it gets better and more like music today and you actually get into the beat and you start moving your head with the beat. What it means to me is that times are changing and music is changing dramatically like rap is becoming big and the oldies are becoming no more. It tells me that life is a beat and we are just along for the ride just moving with the flow as it goes.
While closing my eyes at my computer I grabbed my Gatorade bottle. What I felt when I grabbed it was the ridges and the grip of the bottle threw the plastic wrapping. I also felt the Gatorade symbol the lightning bolt. It connects to me by quenching my thirst and giving me energy to stay up. And it also helps keep me hydrated for baseball because staying hydrated is very important in baseball.
Sight, sound and touch are very critical to an actor because they have to use all these senses because it helps them act. Sight helps them see were they are going and to see who they are talking to. Also it helps them stare into the audience. Sound helps a actor by listening to other actors say their lines and audiences emotions they show and all. Also it helps them hear things that help them remember their cue to say their lines. Touch is critical to a actor because when the stage goes dark they can’t see so sometimes they have to rely on touch to get them backstage.
I see plants and life springing up from a dry and arid wasteland. A picture like this can show that life and creativity can spring from the bleakest of places. The all black background sets the tone of a dank and dreary place, while the golden plants can symbolize life and energy taking place. The picture says that no matter what may surround you, or what you’re given; the ability to create life and vibrancy is always there.
ReplyDeleteThe music is interesting; it starts off with a kind of old sitar sound and develops into a techno-remix thing before it returns to sitar. It’s much like the evolution of our culture, it’s old and deep with roots but it slowly branches out and pushes the boundaries, but never quite escapes its core values. The piece is a lot like people; we’re used to what we know when we’re young and as we grow we develop our own ideas and taste, but can’t ever truly escape those core values we’ve received from our parents. It means that no matter how much we expand and change; we always have a foundation we can attribute our personalities to.
I feel the ridges and lettering of my class ring. This is a very special item to me; it represents four hard years of academic and social work so we can attain the role of Senior. We’re the new guard, a group of individuals that oversees traditions and ways that were set long before we were born.
Our senses are of utmost importance in acting. The character you’re playing can’t seem hollow or blank; many a time you have to build backstory and even a personality for your character to give you some way to relate to the role. Many actors spend weeks creating the link to their role and it pays off in their performance.
RESPONSE TO NATHAN TARVER:
I could see where you’d pick hell as your description of the picture the gray background and immediate explosion of the orange-ish “flames,” is an interesting way to look at it. As for picking up your cell phone, that was pretty expected, but you’re right it’s a big way for us to feel connected to our friends and family with just the touch of a button.
In that picture what strikes me first is how well the colors dont go together. I think the dark kind of throws the picture off and makes me think of sad thoughts. The designs are kind of cool but theres not much about the picture that attracts me.
ReplyDeleteWhen i listen to the song it makes think of Slumdog Millionaire. That's also one of my favorite movies so that means that i like the song. Its pretty catchy and upbeat. I like songs like this, kind of.
The first thing i grabbed when i reached for something was my keys and i felt the lanyard which is kind of soft yet durable. The keys are hard and cold but it makes think of driving to a place far from here.
I agree with cameron and colin
What I see in the picture is the peak of an explosion of fireworks. It looks like a series of bottle rockets that are going in different directions yet exploding at the same time. I can see the sparks from each firework. On the fireworks that are closer I see one large spark for each. On the ones that are farther away from me, I can see the spark break up into several smaller sparks. To me this shows how much detail is in something that seems so simple. If one sees a firework explode, he does not notice all of the little details that go along with it.
ReplyDeleteI was not able to click on your “click here” tab to hear your link. I tried to go straight to your link and my computer was not able to hear it. Please do not take away points for this.
The object that I picked when I closed my eyes was a pair of scissors. The handle part is plastic. The cutting part is obviously metal. It is extremely sharp and one blade overlaps the other blade. The blade connects to me in that I have used it many times to cut things into shape. I use it to shape an object to the way that I want it.
Sight, sound, and touch are critical for an actor because he needs these things in order to connect with an audience. The actor must use his senses in order to make the act seem real. In order to make his part believable, he must convince the audience that what he is saying is true. In order to do this he must use his senses. When an actor uses his senses to connect with something, he will connect with his audience.
To me, the picture is saying that there is so much variety in life and especially art. With its different formations and dimensions, it signifies that the world is a big place with a lot of different things. Its red flames resembles the passion that people have, especially in fine arts. It's saying that life is limitless in the things that you can do.
ReplyDeleteI heard many things in the music. I can't identify how or what was making some of those sounds, but it definitely was relaxing. A lot of music makes people very energetic; that music is like a lullaby. I heard something similar to Middle Eastern music in its culture.
As I sat there and closed my eyes, I felt a pillow, the closest object within my reach. In a way, there was a connection between me and the pillow in that I was very sleepy after the music and the pillow had an irony in it. However, disregarding any of that, there was a connection of its presence. It simply connected in that it affected my thoughts and actions.
Sight is an essence to an actor. Without sight, the actor can't create posture, positioning, or even have the ability to enhance his acting with his sight of where and what he and others are doing. Sound is vital to an actor. With sound, the actor can react, listen for a cue, etc. Touch is also critical for an actor. By using the sense of touch, the actor can control what he does in response to what he feels, know what he's feeling, can examine how to feel something, etc.
Paul Banks reaction:
ReplyDeleteI think it's interesting how he said the picture was depressing.
I've seen Slumdog Millionaire and that's pretty accurate.
In this picture i see sort of a dark abandoned old age world being took over by the newer more enlightened/more exciting world. Where the good overweights the bad also like good vs. evil. When the music first started i felt that old india type sound where people are dancing in their indian type ways praying to theri Gods or what not but when the beat dropped i got the feeling of a sort of pop genre.I think the meaning to this selection is like a journey into the unknown. This nusic also brought me back to exploration videoes i used to watch about geography and ect in middle school.
ReplyDeleteI didnt connect to my object at all.
I think sight, sound ,and visuals are important to an actor because all these could possibly be que's to an actors part visuals help paint a picture to not only the actor but also to the audience, sounds can bring out emotions that the make a play what it is, sights help the actors accurateness because you dont want to be in the kitchen in one place and then turn around and you're in the kitchen in a whole different spot. these three are things that have to be felt for an actor to sell the audience.
RESPONSE TO CAIL:
I( agree with the asian background and that it is important for the actor to not only be able to identify these three butthe actors have to be able to feel it themselves.
When looking at the picture I see the sun. Streaking in strange rays this symbolizes the power of the sun to me and how much we as a whole on this earth depend on it. The picture to me is the universe too and the way it revolves and surrounded the midpoint called the sun. The peice of music said diverse to me. It has soo many different sounds and styles of music. Some sounds are foriegn while others are main stream it seems like a piece that as a little bit for eveyone to enjoy. The object I picked up when I closed my eyes was a teddy bear. The bear is soft and has a hard nose area. This connects to me because it was given to me by a friend when i moved from my hometown of Detroit, Michigan to memhis.
ReplyDeleteThe picture reminds me of weird flames. It also makes me think of someone falling down an endless pit. In the endless pit, the flames are swirling, and they almost seem mesmorizing. The flames look orange with little white details on the inside. There are also shiny, little purple things in the flames. On the orange flames, smaller orange flames flow to make cool designs. The design is pretty "trippy."
ReplyDeleteThe music was pretty awesome. It started out kind of slow, but it began to get faster and faster. It kind of pumped me up. It sounded like something I would want to listen to before a wrestling match.
When I closed my eyes, the nearest object I felt was my pencil. I felt all of the different sides of it. I felt the eraser and the lead. I think it connects to me in a way. I can use a pencil to express myself, and I love expressing myself.
An actor has to be in tune with his surroundings. He has to be aware of sight, sound, and touch. If an actor is comfortable with his surroundings, he will perform a lot better. Being able to perform better is great.
My Response to Patrick Krog:
I agree with you about the cable. I also connect with people in different people in different ways. The cable is a perfect example of how one connects with another.
This image represents to me the passing of time in our lives and how fast things move from day to day. The orange curved things are all in a synchronized form, forming a tunnel I think and I feel like it's sucking me in into another part of my life which is fastly approaching, called manhood.
ReplyDeleteWhen the beat first starts off it reminds me of a primitive form of music somewhere in a small Indian village. But as the beat progesses I uncover a hidden gem of nicely looped beats. These beats make me want to go to a club and have some fun and dance a bit. I think the meaning of it is dont judge a book by its cover, because as I said before the primitive indian beat turned into a nice beat.
I reached for a glue stick and I did have a pretty solid connection with the stick. At the bottom were it twists I put my finger in that hole and there was a block, this block which blocked my finger is what i feel like when a wall it put in front of me from moving forward in my life. When i can see the huge tunnel right in front of me but i am blocked a by this stupid wall.
In response to Blake Hataway
ReplyDeleteI agree with you when you say thepiture looks like an endless pit with flames, that is what life seems like sometimes.
In the picture is see exploding suns that are being sucked into a black hole. On the sides of these suns are demons and angels that dance in happiness as the suns disappear into the black abyss and light seems to never exist again.
ReplyDeleteThe music reminds me of something out of India with some slightly hypnotic trance kind of techno in it. As for the scene it game me in my head it made me feel as though i were in some fast pace Indian market possibly running away from some people or trying to get through the massive crowds. The sense of feeling for an actor is extremely important because for an actor he must understanding feelings like touch, taste, and smell for many different scenarios that help bring a pay or sketch to life. Emotions come from these feelings and every actor knows that emotions are the tools used on stage to make a master peice.
When I see this picture two images jump into my head. The first of which is a never ending hole of fire. The darkness of the picture symbolizes the endlessness and the orange symbolizes the fire. My first image of this is very dark and gloomy. My second image of this is somewhat better. My second thought that came to mind while looking at this picture was fireworks during New Year’s Eve. A time for happy celebration and the complete opposite of an empty dark and hallow abyss. It was a single picture that showed me two polar opposite images. The music was also very interesting. It sounded Middle Eastern or possibly south Asian. It was very relaxing either way. It took for a trip around the world in the same way a well written novel does or well produced movie does. In closing my eyes to touch something near to me my hand fell upon the mouse of the computer. However something was different about the mouse in being calmer the mouse felt much softer much easier to hold on to almost as if it wasn’t even there. The sense of sight, touch, and sound are crucial to good acting. It gives the actor the ability to place himself directly into the scene and the character he is trying to portray.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Alec Johnson:
I have to agree with certain points Alec made about the picture reminding him somewhat of red flames and how the music was relaxing
As I perceive it, the picture looks like an elaborate spiderweb bursting into flames in some short amount of time. The picture could represent deception: when an elegant lie is crafted, one error can destroy the entire lie. Therefore, something as simple as a spark could have caught the spiderweb and sent it burning out of control.
ReplyDeleteWhat I hear has feelings of great tension, suspense, and energy. The music makes me think of an epic chase, one in which the runner is confident of an escape, but the chaser is equally confident of a capture. Specifically, what appears in my head is the image of two people jumping across rooftops in a bazaar of some kind, in the middle of the day as many of the local people watch in disbelief.
The object I feel near me has a rectangular shape and has a smooth covering which pulls back into several, seemingly never-ending sheets of great fragility. Alas, as I open my eyes, I see that the object which I have been describing is indeed nothing more than a textbook: and english textbook, to be exact.
Based on what I have perceived from this exercise, I can conclude that the senses are vital for an actor to imitate so that an emotion can be derived from the soul to make the acted actions of that emotion pure and believable, as to masterfully express the artistic significance of everyday ideas and situations.
In response to Ami Arcot:
ReplyDeleteYour perception of the picure as resembling fireworks is very interesting, especially consider the fact that I see it now that you've mentioned it.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWhen I look the picture i see rings of fire in the middle going in swirling motion. I also see grayish feather looking things and the rest of the picture I would say is a reddish hot orange almost like if the entire picture is on fire with feathers falling from the sky.
ReplyDeleteWhen I listen to the music I first start off by feeling like I'm in Bangladesh during the movie Slumdog Millionsire. I like the music it seemed to be like an up beat, hip music from like an eastern hemishpere civilization.
when I close my eyes I picked up a glass, I wouldn't say that I connected with it. But the texture of the glass was smooth and cold and the sound that it makes when i put it on the desk is a loud clinging type noise.
In reply to Andrew Kasner: your insights about how you felt toward the music peice that we had to listen to is very cool, and I can see how you felt that way.
When I see the picture I see many assortments of different feelings. Happy, sad, angry, and destressed. The picture reminds me of differents things like fireworks, I also see flowers spreading from the end.
ReplyDeleteThe picture is inspirational in many ways. It reminds me to keep doing as well as I can to make sure nothing bad will happen to me.
The audio reminds me of the film Slumdog Millionaire in the internation sound of the music and vocals. The singer is a very good singer and this genre of music is also one of my favorite kinds to listen to. I believe that the music is very inspirational in the way that it sounds positive and negative all at the same time. I enjoy this music and I love listening to most international genres.
1. To me the picture represents the fireworks on the fourth of July spinning as they explode in the air and the sparks fall down like rain. This picture is inspirational in a way because when I look at it I see parts of my own childhood, because as a kid the fireworks after a long hot Fourth of July day are the best. Every kid watching the show is in shock and aw over the beautiful display of pyrotechnics that to them seem impossible as the explosions fill the sky. 2.The piece of music sounds like a mix of Indian and techno blended together to make a fast paced techno jam. I’m really not a fan of techno so the piece of music really doesn’t speak to me. 3. I feel cold and hard plastic that is in the shape of a piece of paper with metal dividers running down the side. The object next to me is my binder because I am sitting in the library at school and there is nothing else around me. I personally don’t connect to the binder because it has no sentimental meaning to me other than getting my work done. Thought the binder does serve a purpose and it does help me keep track of my papers I feel no connection with it. 4.The greatest tools an actor has are his perceptions and the ability to make sense of his surroundings. Without sight an actor would not be able to move around the stage and interact with the objects and actors around him. An actor’s sight is his greatest tool because when giving a performance the actor must convey emotions in his eyes to the audience for the emotions to look real. Sound is also a big part of acting because if the actor can’t project and let the audience know how his character feels and thinks, then the show is ruined. Also touch can play a large role in a play because when to characters are touching each other if they are not doing it right it can display the wrong emotion.
ReplyDeleteI see a black dragon, with fire coming out of it's nose. The black represents the skin of the dragon, and the different tones of the color represent the reflections of light off of the skin. The orange swirls represent fireballs and the lethality and destructiveness of fire. The large oreange line on the side represents, to me, a wall that the fire is being thrown against, but cant be penetrated.
ReplyDeleteThe music makes me feel as if I'm in an Indian marketplace, or a Muslim mosque. It is definitely a "World Beat", and the feelings it evokes are feelings of freedom, while at the same time making me angry. With all of the controversy surrounding the Ground Zero mosque, and whether it should or should not be built, this music makes me angry. I hate what the Jihadis' did to our country and our monuments, so therefore, this music brings out some anger in me.
I feel a woven basket sort of texture, almost like a wicker. It doesn't really connect with me through the sense of touch. Touch isn't really a sense i use much, i use sight and sound more than anything else.
All these senses are critical to an actor, because acting is just that: acting. To be able to act, one must be in tune with all of his senses, and to be able to identify things with senses.
In response to Sean Denley:
The black hole and exploding suns idea is very creative, something i didn't see. The music i agree with, it seems like an Indian type of music with techno and dance mixed in.
Comment on colin cody
ReplyDeleteI agree with colin that the picture does look like a ring of fire because of all the mixed colors. Also when i listened to the music it rem=inded me of the movie Slumdog Millionsire.
Kevin J. Murphy response to Blog 3
ReplyDeleteThis picture, to me has many possibilities as to what it might be. It could be a firework shooting off into the night sky and lighting up and then just as quickly as it caused light it could burn away till no light remained or gunpowder burning away. It could be an enhanced image of and a molecule or element or even a crystalline or crystal like object. It could also be light refracted through a multi lensed object, or it could even be something anything viewed through a refractive lens. Its saying to me that it is something that could change your view or it could be something that lights up the night sky.
The music that was played had an almost exotic feel to it. I couldn’t identify what country or region was its origin but I could tell that some parts seemed to be produced by machines rather than by human hands and human instruments. It had a rhythm that made you want to move and that reminded me of action style movies and other suspenseful music.
The first thing that I touched was my iPod, I could tell it was my iPod because of the smooth, metallic surface which is on the back of it, and because of the cracks of the Plexiglas front that have been created by anything from a heel stepping on it to a simple drop from a desk or bed. I am connected to the iPod because I use the iPod for almost anything, ranging from listing to music to checking emails and even storing papers on it.
An actor needs to be able to use his or her senses to project what they are feeling to the audience, you need to be able to place yourself in a position that the audience can feel hear and even see the seen unraveling in their mind. That is good acting when the audience can have their sense enthralled by the idea of the scene.
To me the picture is like a fire color with midnight black on the outside of it. It looks as if Im looking downward at somebody just from how the designs are made. Maybe this could be representing a struggle in someones life. How they started from nothing and made it to the top and is looking down on everyone who discouraged you.
ReplyDeleteThe music sounded like a song you would listen to if you are celebrating a victory of some sort. It sounds like a family or group song that symbolizes a struggle into success or a loss then a victory.
The object that I grabbed with my eyes closed was a pen. The pen was strong and firm. This pen connects to me in many ways because I like to write whats on my mind. When I put the pen to the paper, its almost like I cant stop and I just keep writing and writing until I feel better about whatever it is.
This picture is what I would say is “trippy”. I feel like I am moving very fast in a burning building and I am trying to get out. I also think It looks like butterflies in the night sky like shooting stars. I look and them and think man I wish I could have a have a wish right now. It is a good picture and I like how it is reminiscing the piece of work on your website.
ReplyDeleteThis piece of music says a lot to me. I really enjoy listening to this kind o music. I feel like im in the heart of India and that I am surrounded by belly dancers. I love this feeling. I feel like the meaning of this music is to be very active and to keep moving. The music feel motivating to me and I like how it makes me feel. I feel very positive listening to this music
The object I felt was long and it was a dense object. It was thick in the back of it and got narrower as I felt. The top of it seemed to have rubber things on it. I started pressing the “buttons” and the TV came on! I guess I was holding the remote. I did not really feel any connection or emotional relevance to the remote.
This picture gives me a feeling of like some one would see this if they were on shrumes. It is very wild and random. in some ways it gives me this feeling that it might be fire or somthing hot. THis picture does not put off a negative feeling but one that is nutral.
ReplyDeleteOk i just listen to that song and as soon as it stared playing i began to fist pump in my chair. this song has a build up that is kind of anoying at first but then it grows in to somthing awsome and fun to listen to. this music say to me to go and party it up in jersy shore.
so i reached out and i picked up somthing that was almost a square but it was metal and somthing could be pulled out of it and sucked back in. this was a measuring tape i dont no why this was beside me but it was. I had not atraction to it.
walker benz i like the way you quoted a song hahahah