A place where Education and Theatrical Arts merge with Student Thought to foster greater understanding of the World of Acting.
THE RULES of THIS BLOG SITE
Any response that uses inappropriate language, content, or anything else that Mr. Williams would deem offensive will receive an automatic grade of "0" with no hope for resubmitting the post. You are expected to respond in a mature and Godly fashion. Content can talk about topical things (drugs, drinking, relationships, family, sex, God, emotions, etc.), but the delivery of the information should be in such a manner that well represents yourself, your parents and family, CBHS, Mr. Williams, and most importantly, God. I really look forward to your posts. -- Mr. Williams
December 6, 2010
Acting I Blog 15
DUE MONDAY 12/13/10 BY 9:00 AM! For directions, please visit BLOG15 at the CBHS Theatrical & Choral Academic Activities website. I look forward to your posts!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1. The most impressive theatrical elements that stand out the most to me are definitely projection and the fact that they are being big on stage. Everything they do is exaggerated, which we all know looks normal under those lights and on stage.
ReplyDelete2. I think Turandot would be very interesting to watch, I’m not a big fan of opera but the small clip did get my attention in that I was curious as to what the final riddle was which is never really mention throughout the entirety of the scene.
3. If I were to watch in opera, I would prefer to watch a tragedy. I’m a huge fan of tragedies on stage and one of the first opera’s I had been introduced to and like is Tosca. And since Turandot is also written by Giacomo Puccini, I don’t see why I wouldn’t enjoy watching the entirety of it.
4. The set is amazing, the effort and design reflect how much time was spent purely on making the set look impressive. Same could be said about the costumes. Although many characters were not principles and were simply minors, they still had on an impressive wardrobe which helps to illustrate the lavish richness of Turandot’s palace.
1) The theatrical element that stands out the most to me is that the scene has a lot of actors and actresses. One more thing that catches my attention is that it is on an extremely big stage.
ReplyDelete2) My overall impression in the Opera is that actors and actresses were speaking in a different language. I also like the costumes. They make the actors and actresses stand out a lot in the scene. It shows who has the major role and who doesn’t and it looks really nice and professional. Also the makeup changes everything. I can’t tell who is who and it is a big part of the play of the scene.
3) If I had to watch an opera, I think I would prefer comedy opera. I just like to be funny and I like to see funny things. Funny things that make me laugh make me want to stay longer and I can get more attached to it. Like movies, I like watching funny movies because it makes me laugh and makes me interested. If it is about drama and had nothing comedic to it, I would be bored to death and fall asleep because I have no attention and interest to it.
4) I think that after watching the video, it shows that this is probably the biggest show I have ever watched. The big thing is the stage and everyone wearing costumes that stand out. This is by far the biggest play I have seen so far in this semester. It takes a lot of effort, hard work and time to put this big play together.
My response to Andrew Malic:
I believe that the stage was extremely big. It could probably fit about a hundred to hundred and fifty people on the stage.
The first thing that stood out to me immediately were the acters/singers and how well they could project themselves. They were able to make everything they did with emphasis on a gigantic stage.
ReplyDeleteI think the Turandot would be pretty cool to see even though I am not a fan of opera. It was cool how actors would speak in different languages, and could switch back and forth. This must take hours of practice, and it paid off. The show looks like it would be great.
If I had to watch an opera, it would be a comedy. I would choose a comedy because I like comedy movies and play better. I wouldn't want to watch a tragedy because I like to know whats going on fast. With the opera, it would delay the audience finding out the end.
The set is awesome. The stage is huge, and the actors were able to utilize the big stage/ The actors costumes were pretty extravagant to. I think this is one of the best clips for show you've showed us this year.
Response to Max Chang
I agree with you on stage. It is huge. I also like how you also would choose to watch the comedy, and I agree with you.
1. The thatrical elements that stand out the most to me are the costumes. The costumes are bright colorful and out of the ordinary. The colors are bright and give you a feel of an exotic theme. My favorite one is the blue one with the things coming out the top of it. It is really different to see these things. The set also stands out to me. It is a lot bigger than other ones that I have seen this year. The final thing is all the movement and props on stage. It must have been a ton of work.
ReplyDelete2.I am not a big opera person, actually you would have to force me to go to one. However that does not mean that I do not appriacaite and understand the hard work and dedication that goes into it. I am impressed at this work. There are a bunch of people dressed up and people playing instruments in the background. The woman seemed to be in one place or just standing up and not moving or dancing much. I also have a lot of respect for people who put this together especailly the writers. I do not understand how a person can invision this entire scene way before it takes place and design it.
3.If I had to watch a opera I would want to watch a comedy. I would want to watch a comedy because it seems that it would be easier to follow than a drama. A comedy would lighten the mood and hopefully I would not be counting the minutes until I had to leave. A drama would probably be to long and I bet I would lose interest in the story. A comedy would keep me laughing.
4.The set is much more grand than anything I have seen in class this year. Even through the broadway shows, this set appears to be the biggest and have the most action going on behind the scenes. I can see how some pople love watching it. The costumes are also different. However I think I remember watching the broadway movie and there being exotic costumes in one of the plays mentioned. Cats had some crazy outfits and these are just another form on crazy. The movement is what impressed me. There were a lot of people on stage doing deifferent things or just being there. It gives the audience more to look at.
Response to Max: I agree with max that one thing that sticks out is the large casts. Curtains had a large cast also. There was also a lot to follow. The set is also extremely big in this one but it still appears as iif they are stuck together or smushed.
1) What stands out to me the most as I wathed this scene is all of the different case and all the great costumes and great make up. They had wondeful movements and voices.
ReplyDelete2) I think this work is very well put together. If anything out of all the arts opera is probably my faorite. It doesn't bore me as much as all of the other kind do.
3) I think I would prefer to watch a comedy because i love to laugh. You dont really have to pay that much of attention in a comedy either because you can kind of catch on. But in tragedy you have to pay attention the whole time or you could get lost.
4) The set looks like one of the more expensive one we have seen all year. They whole set goes into great detail and it looks all authentic.
In Response to Geordy
I agree with you that it is more grand than anything we have seen all year.
1. What stands out the most to me is their costumes and how much symmetry they had together. It ended up working out great.
ReplyDelete2. My overall impression is how broad and thorough the actors voices are. I really enjoyed this work, and was very impressed by the lady's thick voice.
3. I don't want to be cliche like everyone else and say comedy, so I would pick a drama, because I get the most out of it, and it can change the way I think about certain people/ideas.
4 The set is so much more complicated than anything I've seen. It is truly magnificent. When I saw the costumes, I was amazed because it looks like so much work went into making and designing those.
Response to Brock: I agree that the work is very well put together and comedies are good because a laugh is always good.
1) The things that stand out to me the most are the costumes that were worn as well as how well the singers voices were projected throughout the theater.
ReplyDelete2) I am not a fan of opera, but when I watched the video it surprised me because of how well the singers or actors put forth all of their effort to make the opera sound great.
3) If I could choose what type of opera, I would easily pick a comedy. I like everything to be funny like movies as well as plays, so I would like the opera to be a comedy.
4)The set looks very impressive to the eye. The costumes also look very cool and probably took a good amount of time to make. Everything in this set in my opinion looks great and similar to sets that you have shown us throughout the year.
Response to Andrew Malic: I completely agree with your answer to number four about the set being amazing.
1. The costumes stand out a lot to me. The time and effort to create such elaborate costumes must have been very great. They have enormous amounts of detail and are very grand and showy. Not to mention the large amount of fabric that had to be worked with to make the costume flow as they do.
ReplyDelete2. I have never seen opera before so it is a little odd seeing it for the first time. It is much different then a play or musical however it shares many of the same characteristics as both. That concept is a little misleading. How can something have the same characteristics as something else yet be so different? The way the story is told is bizarre yet very creative at the same.
3. I would probably rather prefer a drama. I feel this way of performance would best be showcased in a drama rather than a comedy. A tragedy would also be very interesting to watch in this way. This particular opera reminds me of a tragedy.
4. Throughout the year I have seen numerous examples of sets from the sets of Broadway to our school sets and even to the sets we have seen in blog assignments. This set is very grand and overdone. It gives the feeling of extreme importance and extravagance. The costumes also display wealth, power, and nobility.
Response to Merrit: I agree with Merritt on his answer for question four. I also think this set looks very impressive and also i noticed the extreme complexity of the costumes.
The theatrical elements that out the most to me are the makeup, the costumes, and the numberous actors and actresses. The makeup makes everyone seems so un-realistic, in a good way.Like you are in a fable of some sort with cartoon charaters. The costumes put you into the time period in which the play would take place. The actors and actresses make you feel like you are really at a court meeting with royalty.
ReplyDelete2.My overall inmpression is that this is a extremely well put together opera. The singers are fantastic and the music is very heart felt. You can feel the hardwork put into the play everytime a main character sings their part.
3. If i were to watch a opera i would choose drama, because in drama I can feel the actors voices while they sing. I can feel they are singing something meaningful and true to them.
4. The set is very elaborate and that is what theatre is all about. There are many people sitting in the back of the audience who need to see whats going on so they have to make everything extra large. The costumes are also elaborate, huge in all aspects.
Response to Ami Arcot: I prefer a drama, there is much more action in a drama. The costumes do display a sense of wealth that has to be portrayed to the audienece.
The costumes and the set stand out to me the most, vbecause the costumes were "one of a kind". I have never seen constumes that are so over the top or just eccentric. I can honestly say that things are bigger and better in the opera. The scenary was just crystals and gold everywhere and all the people with the really huge hats.
ReplyDeleteMy overall impression on the opera, is that it is decked with elegance and very prestige. The opera isn't meant for every type of person to enjoy. It takes a certain type of class to enjoy an opera, especially one that is not in English. And the presence of the actors there voices are so strong and great, its amazing. I really wish I couldv'e seen Mr. Williams in action on stage one day. If I were to choice an opera it would have to be drama or either comedy, because my favorite type of movies to watch are dramas and comedies, because everyone likes comedies. Anything that can get a crowd to laugh is a good story, and dramas I believe really draws the audience and the actors closer together during the opera if the audience can relate their selves to the situation in the opera. the opera is diffrent from the things that we have watched and visualized this semester because everything in the opera is more grand and way bigger and over the top than regular acting and musicals.
In response to Caylon Thomas: The sets are way more elaborate and it tops most theatre.
1. There are a lot of elements that go into this opera. First of all to have to presents a play that has a story line and a plot while singing is very hard. Also to remember where you have to be in the opera is very difficult as well. For someone to have to sing the whole time can hurt there voice and they could possibly lose it.
ReplyDelete2. I am very impressed with the opera that i saw it had many different elements that i liked. I also think it would be very hard to do a whole opera and it would take a lot of practice to remember all the lyrics and movements that go into making a good play.
3. If I were to watch an opera it would have to be a comedy. I cant sit threw anything that is depressing and sad I think it would be a lot more fun to watch a opera that has a comedic twist to it.
4. These costumes and makeup are very similar to other works and past blogs that i have seen. they are very colorful and meant to tell a story before anyone says anything. The makeup helps you see what the actors are trying to potray and see what the actors are trying to tell them.
In response to Merritt
ReplyDeleteI agree with you about watching a comedic opera and how much more fun it would be to watch a comedy and then it would be to watch a drama.
There are many elements to an opera. I mean the first and main element is that each actor pretty much has to sing each line. The entire performance is singing. The actors must have extremely powerful voices in order for the audience to understand them and for the story to make sense.
ReplyDeleteI mean opera is not exactly my thing but I did appreciate seeing the work these people put in. It was put together well and I can also appreciate the talent of these performers.
I would prefer to see a comedy because i usually think that operas are mainly about tragedy and it would be interesting to see one that is not depressing.
Most of the set pieces do look like the ones in the past blogs. They are all larger than life and extremely colorful. they also help portray what the actor are acting.
response to Shawn Ryan
ReplyDeleteYes I agree, A comedy would be better to watch.
1. The main theatrical elements that I see in this piece are the magnificence of the set, the smoothness of the performance for the amount of people that are doing something on stage at one time, and the great use of make up and costumes for the time period that the set produces. This set is so large and grand that there must have been a few technical problems in the creation but could be fixed. It also seems that a lot of research went into the structure.
ReplyDelete2. My overall impression of the work is that it was amazing, and though it was an opera, which I cannot usually follow, this piece made sense for me. My main fascination is how all the actors were positioned on the stage so that no one ran into each other, and everyone had such focus.
3. If I had to watch an opera I would have to say it would be a comedy. I am not all that sure why it couldn’t be any other style, but I would just like to watch an opera that tries to make me laugh and succeeds.
4. The set, costumes, etc in this piece are different from others that I have seen in that they are much more elaborate. They have more of a royal and noble sense. It seems that the only way that the stage could be this elaborate would be if it never changed.
In response to Connor Payne:
I agree the thing that was most dominant in the entire thing was the projection that the singers had.
What stands out to me most is the costumes and the set. They are really extravagant. I remember how long Mr. Williams worked on the costumes for "Curtains" but this is even more extreme. This must have taken over a year to put together.
ReplyDeleteMy overall impression of the work is that it was very hard work. I am not interested in opera but I can appreciate all the hard work that goes into it. This was very well done. The singing is very good too and took a lot of practice.
If I had to watch an opera I would watch a comedy. I don't like opera so this would probably be the one that kept my attention most. However, It is often hard to understand what the singers are saying so I may not be able to know what is going on or being said. Still, I think comedy would be the most interesting.
They are very similar. I've seen a lot of strange costumes and sets and; this just goes with everything that I have seen. However, the fact that it is opera makes it different.
Response to Ben
ReplyDeleteI agree that operas are generally hard to follow. The people are singing in such high pitched voices I can't tell what they are saying. The captions on this one helped though.
1) The theatrical elements that stand out the most in this opera are the costumes and the set pieces that bring so much attention to the things that are going on in the play. I also see that the movements that are incorporated in this opera must be very difficult solely because of the amount of people that are on the stage at one point in time.
ReplyDelete2) My overall impression of this scene in the opera was that I really liked the costumes and I liked that they sang in different languages. It really made the play different from any other that I have ever seen before. The only reason that I wouldn't want to watch this whole opera is because I don't like the type of singing and I would probably end up getting mad that they were talking in a language that I don't understand.
3) I definitely would rather watch a comedy style opera than anything else just because I am not into most dramas. I like to laugh and have fun when I watch a show because then there is something that can make the audience drawn in to the show and make them feel like a part of it.
4) I really don't think that the costumes or sets are anything like what this show has. Other than maybe the fact that it looks like it involves a royal family I honestly don't see anything that would resemble things that I have seen in the past.
Response to Ben Pratt:
We agreed on most of the things that we said other than that you said that it looked amazing.
1. The first thing I notice is the detail that goes behind creating the set. I understand that it takes months in order to create hte sets for the Brothers On Stage performances. With that in mind, I cant even begin to imagine how long it took this crew to construct such a detailed setting. It is really cool how it comes together.
ReplyDelete2. I was very imperessed with the opera itself. The actual singing and the magnitude of skill and talent that goes into singing an opera is outstanding. Even though operas are not my biggest form of enjoyment, i can still completely understand how someone would find this fascinating.
3. If I could watch an opera, it would have to be a comedy. I chose a comedy because I feel like, if the singing doesn't exactly win me over at least I can enjoy something funny happening. Although, I do not understand how funny it could be with people singing, but then again, i've never experienced going to something like this so my view is not very broad.
4. The way that everything pops out at you is what really differintiates things in my opinion. The setting itself is so remarkable. Then the way the actors move in coalition with one another. I would say that the costumes is really what finishes everything off and puts it all together.
RESPONSE TO CHRISTOPHER PIETRANGELO:
I understand why you too would want to watch a comedy.
The best part of the opera is the actors ability to sing so loudly and still be able to pronounce words clearly, the singers are so overly dramactic and larger than life.
ReplyDeleteI am very respectful of the show, I think that all the time and effort and talent that goes into the shows are something of great talent but it is still nothing I would pay good hard earned money to see.
If I had to watch an opera I would pick a comedy because I am not mature enough to sit through a serious opera
The set and costumes are similar because they are grand and elaborate and bigger than life
1. To me, the sets and the costumes stand out the most. It is very over-the-top and gives a strong feeling that I'm not watching the play, I'm actually there. The movement also is very precise and systematic. This must have been hard to pull off.
ReplyDelete2. My overall impression of the play is that it took a lot of time and skill to pull this off. It is obviously done on a large scale and the fact that this was all in a different language was incredible for two reasons. One, they had to learn to pronounce everything precisely and they had to somewhat learn the meanings of the words so they could know what emphasis to put on what.
3. If I had to watch an opera, I would pick comedy because everything else would be too boring. Tragedy would take too long and I would lose interest and drama is just unappealing to me.
4. The way everything flows on a grand scale makes this work different from any other this semester. I just get a bigger sense of effort from this than I do anything else.
In response to Cameron Graeter: Yea, I agree that I'm not mature enough to sit through a serious opera.
ReplyDelete1- The larger than life aspect of the performance. You weren't lying when you said Opera was huge. The costumes were huge, the set was huge, and most importantly the voices were huge.
ReplyDelete2- The work is very impressive and I can tell that it took lots of preparation to get it to the level it is now. The most impressive part is that amount of volume there voices are.
3- A drama would probably be the most interesting to watch. I would hope that the suspense would keep me into the show.
4- The sets and costumes are very similar to what you have described to us over the semester. Maybe even more over the top. Everything in Opera is so big that it is hard to compare other styles to it.
1. I think the theatrical elements that stand out to me the most are the set, the actors, and the singing, and the way everything is positioned in the set. It is interesting how the set fixates on the back at the thrown thing. The costumes are also ridiculously elaborate. Everything in the whole opera looks really ornate and elaborate.
ReplyDelete2. My overall impression of the opera is that it is very overly dramatic. By that I mean, it talks a lot are sad things and troubles and it is very dramatic sounding. Without the subtitles I would still get the same impression but that’s probably because that is the impression you are supposed to get from an opera like this.
3. Well normally I would want to watch a comedy- because I like anything that has to do with comedy -but I don’t know if I would even like it because I wouldn’t be able to understand anything anyone was saying.
4. I think the set and costumes are a lot different from other works we have watched because this set was huge and elaborate. It was very flashy and sparkly. The other works we have watched have had a much more simple set with less elaborate costumes.
Response to Mario Gagliano:
Yea, I agree with you on wanting to watch a comedy. I think it would be a lot more enjoyable than a really serious opera.
1. I think the costumes stand out most for me. They are are really big and expensive. Thy also made people look asian with all of the makeup. They made the man who sang first seem to have creepy long fingers. I guess he was the bad king. Also the set is really big and made me feel like I was in a asian castle.
ReplyDelete2. This work doesn't seem like the work for a typical teenage boy to see. I would go see it if the price was right, but I am guessing that the tickets are expensive to pay for all of the props and costumes. I would watch it though, because I have never seen an opera.
3. I would pefer a comedey because it would keep the audience engaged. I would want to laugh the whole time. I don't know how to tell a joke while singing opera though.
4. All the scenery and costumes are over the top. They are symbols for something greater in the play. I am impressed that a lot of plays go the extreme when it comes to decorations. They want to give a shock to the audience.
RESPONSE TO Nathan Allen: I agree that a lot of time was put into making the opera.
I think what stands out the most to me is the amount of people in the scene. There are more than a hundread people on the stage. Also the size and mass of the set stand out to me. The size of the arches on the set and the amount of people on the stage, the stage must be massive. The final thing that stood out to me are the colors they chose. Almost everything is the same color accept for the person sitting in the chair that is dressed in white. I think because that person stands out so much she is the first thing that you see.
ReplyDeleteAs i watched the opera I was able to admire the music but I was also thankful for the subtitles. Without the subtitles I would not have been able to understand anything that was happening in the scene. Thanks to the subtitles i was able to undersand that they were actually telling a story. I was able to understand the way she felt and actually understand what she was saying.
If I watched an opera I think I would prefer a comedy. The reason I think I would prefer a comedy is because I think even if there were not subtitles i would still be able to understand some of the comedy. In any other kind of opera I feel like I would get lost.
I think that everything about this is diferent from anything we have studied in acting this year. The costumes, emotions, style, language, music, make up, and the size of the preformance are nothing like waht we have studied. But I do find this type of preformance interesting, and I would like to learn more and understand it better.
In responce to Max Ching Chong Chang I agree with you on how the amout of people on stage in the element that stands out the most.
ReplyDeleteThe things that stood out the most to me in the play was the singing I thought it was done very well. The costumes were unbelievable they were very good to. My overall impression of the work was good, but I’m just not into Opera so I couldn’t enjoy it fully. The work was done really well, it just wasn’t for me. If I had to watch any Opera it would probably be a comedy, and the reason why would be because I would at least laugh and I wouldn’t have to follow it all the way I could just laugh at it. The set is done very well, because it looks amazing and very real. If I was watching it in real life I would swear that the set and all was real. The set reminds me of Japan and Chinese people and there way of life style. There costumes are masks and robs, but it is all colorful. It is like a Chinese or Japanese parade or celebration. And the lighting is very cool, but the thing I liked the most was the different language they used it just brought that play to life and gave it a different meaning when I started watching it.
ReplyDeleteTo Sexton:
ReplyDeleteI liked your post and I agree with you on that the costumes stood out the most but I thought the singing was very good to.
1) What stood out to me the most was the overall projection. They looked larger than-life if you ask me. Obviously, this is not how they look, but it sure did make a big contribution in its theatrical elements.
ReplyDelete2) Overall, it was just a fantastic opera. The singing of those in the play were astounding.
3) If I had the option to choose an opera to see, then I'd probably go with a comedy. I mean who doesn't like to laugh whether it's a play or anywhere? I think a watching constructive ways to make me laugh is a great thing in which a comedy takes a lot of great work to do so.
4) The stage itself is absolutely incredible. The colors, the architecture, and the art is magnificent. To be honest, it's one of the best works of art in Acting I to me.
Response to Nathan Allen: I absolutely agree with you on how everything portrayed is so big and 'larger than life.'
1) As I watch this scene I see the lights, the costumes, and the music and singing. They stick out to me.
ReplyDelete2) As I watch this scene my overall impression of the opera is that it is very well done and is portraying a deep story that we would better be able to understand if we saw the entire opera which I am under the impression that it is probably a great opera.
3) If I had to watch an opera, personally I would prefer a comedy, this is due to the fact that I prefer comedy to anything else no matter what. My favorite types of movies and tv shows and tv channels are all about comedy and I like them the most.
4) This video is the same in nature to just about all of the other videos that I have viewed this semester in this class for blogs in that it is very well done and eye-catching and is very interesting and I would like to see more of it.
In response to Austin:
ReplyDeleteI too enjoyed the change of language and scenery from what we are used to. I thought it was pretty cool to get a glimpse at another culture.
1) The one element that really jumped out at me at first was the costuming. The costumes were big and exquisite, and they fit the theme perfectly. The next thing was stage presence. The person doing the action at the time absolutely commanded the stage. They were big and loud. However, the others on stage were important at all times as well. It seemed that taking up the stage's space made the main character even bigger and made them stand out even more even though they were in a crowd.
ReplyDelete2) My overall impression of this work is that it is a story of one man's love for a princess who is convinced that no man will ever have her, and he thinks otherwise. The story is about this man going through all hell and back (possibly literally, you never know with opera) to get the beautiful princess. It seems like a fantastic opera, and the actors in this performance were more than great.
3) I think I would prefer a drama. I would like something that was more of a story than a joke or a death. I like stories of heroes and adventure more than jokes and stories of people dying and being sad about death.
4) Many of the costumes are similar to some of the things we have seen, but not many of the. The quality and genre of the singing in this performance was good and it was a big step from Sweeny Todd. The choreography seemed to be largely costume based. The movement was either led by the costumes or it led the costumes into doing something.
Response to Jason Haag
The costuming and singing stuck out to me as well, and it is true that it is hard to grasp the whole picture of an opera while only seeing a few minutes of it.
1. The theatrical elements that stood out to me the most were the costumes and the volume of the peoples voice. I know it is an opera, but the volume at which the actors and actresses are able to project their voices are amazing. The voice projection is the main theatrical element that impressed me, along with the costumes, those were very impressive too.
ReplyDelete2. The overall impression of the opera was the costumes. The costumes are very elegant and sophisticated. That really portrays the time period that they are in and it kind of gives me an inclination to believe that the people were of great importance because of the elegance of their costumes which portray to the listener the importance of the different characters.
3.I would prefer a comedy. I do not think I would be able to understand an opera any other way. I feel like the only way I would want to try to understand is if it were a comedy. I will do a play if it is tragedy, but an opera can sometimes be hard to understand, but I am a comedy fan so I think that a comedy would be the best type of opera for me.
4. The set and costumes are similar to other sets and blogs I have done this semester because they portray elegance. It seems like all of the blogs I have done about blogs or costumes, they have all portrayed elegance. I remember one particular blog that I remember about the different pictures and what they might portray. It has really opened up my eye and taught me to look at different things involved with a play like the set or costumes and props and try to figure out what they represent in the storyline or plot.
Response to Patrick Krog:
I agree with you about all of the stuff you said about the costumes. All of the costumes in the play are amazing and they really provide the audience with something to look at and something to try to figure out what they represent. I dont know about the drama opera, but I do enjoy the stories of heroes and death, but just not in an opera.
1) The theatrical elements that stood out the most to me were tone, facial expression and set design. The tone of the actor’s voice really captured the audience’s attention. It set the mood for the Opera. The facial expressions were the key to discovering how the characters felt about the situation. It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words; here the actors’ facial expressions act as pictures. The set design for this Opera was magnificent. Is was very elaborate and showed the wealth that the characters had.
ReplyDelete2) My overall impression of the work is one of great admiration. I always praise someone who can do something that I cannot do. I definitely cannot do what those actors did through voice or body movement in order to convince the audience.
3) I think I would prefer to watch a dramedy. I love comedy, but drama can be entertaining as well. The mixture of the two would be something that could be very interesting. Comedies, obviously, make people laugh while dramas really draw the audience into the scene.
4) The set and costumes were similar to other works that I have seen in that they all have to make a believable set for each play, performance, or opera. You have to make the set “fit in” with all other aspects of the theatre. Otherwise it would not allow the audience to suspend its disbelief.
Response to Jason Haag
I agree that the lighting sticks out a lot in this performance and helps to bring focus on the set.
1. Definitely the theatrical element that stands out to me the most is the costuming. All of the actors are wearing costumes that are so grandiose and ostentatious, and yet they are so expertly designed that a certain quality is retained to provide for an effective suspension of disbelief. The set is also very elaborate, and it goes very well with the costuming. The costumes almost seem like extensions of the set.
ReplyDelete2. My overall impression of this work is one of deep respect. While watching it, I kept thinking about all of the many things that came together to make it and how much work probably went into making of what I saw. I now have a deep respect for whoever put this together, since I can imagine that great vision and willpower were needed to craft this work of art.
3. I would probably want to see an operatic tragedy, since the presentation of the dark emotions involved are even more gripping and tragic. I know this because I saw an opera version of Faust a few years ago. I was very impressed by what I experienced, and the emotions in the actual story were incredibly intensified by the grandiose presentation.
4. Quite honestly, this work of art stands out among any other works we viewed this year. The presentation of this work is astounding because of its intricate and grandiose nature.
In response to Hunter Shipley:
I agree with you that it is something to be admired. It's also something that I could only dream of doing.
In this opera i see elements of costume, projecting, facial expression, and always facing the crowd. These performers did a very good job in the video.
ReplyDeleteI am not in to musicals much but it looked like the people on stage had worked hard and I respect that.
If I had to go see and opera it would have to be a comedy because I don't enjoy shows that are to serious. When watching a show there has to be some comic relief.
I don't think that we have watched anything quite like this show because this is very unique. We have watches plays and musicals but nothing like this.
1) Just the epicness of scale really connected with me first. Then of course the preparation it must've took to get all of those people in order and in sync. The arts in this area never cease to amaze.
ReplyDelete2) I like it. I've never been an opera fan, I've seen a couple in nashville, but never really enough to gain any interest. I guess it's like Br. Chris says when you do something well it's hard not to like it.
3) Comedy. I like laughter and jokes and the overall energy of comedy. I like to laugh and if someone can get me laughing I will be paying attention the whole time.
4) The set is very intricate and big, unlike that of "Sweeny Todd." Here we get archways and staircases and backgrounds, where in Sweeny Todd you would only get a staircase or a door. I like setting and the way it's used here is great.
RESPONSE TO Malic:
You wouldn't see many people be more interested in a tragedy. Or know the author for that matter. The fact that you know this is amazing to me.
The first thing that stood out to me immediately were the acters/singers and how well they could project themselves. They were able to make everything they did with emphasis on a gigantic stage.
ReplyDeleteMy overall impression in the Opera is that actors and actresses were speaking in a different language. I also like the costumes. They make the actors and actresses stand out a lot in the scene. It shows who has the major role and who doesn’t and it looks really nice and professional. Also the makeup changes everything. I can’t tell who is who and it is a big part of the play of the scene.
If I had to watch an opera, personally I would prefer a comedy, this is due to the fact that I prefer comedy to anything else no matter what. My favorite types of movies and tv shows and tv channels are all about comedy and I like them the most.
The set and costumes are similar to other sets and blogs I have done this semester because they portray elegance. It seems like all of the blogs I have done about blogs or costumes, they have all portrayed elegance. I remember one particular blog that I remember about the different pictures and what they might portray. It has really opened up my eye and taught me to look at different things involved with a play like the set or costumes and props and try to figure out what they represent in the storyline or plot.
1. The biggest theatrical features of this opening scene are the costumes, set, singing, and preparation. The costumes and the set are ridiculously detailed and. exquisite. The singing is great as well. With it being opera, the performers must be projecting their voice amazingly. Finally, the preparation required stood out greatly. With the large number of performers doing so many things, it must take tons of time to prepare for something and perform it with such accuracy.
ReplyDelete2. I believe it is a great work. Although it would be better if I automatically knew what the people were singing about, rather than reading it in subtitles, I still enjoy the performance. The singing is wonderfully projected with no mess-ups.
3. I would choose a comedy. It is not because I am against tragedies, dramas, or anything else; it is because I enjoy comedies the most. A comedy would do the best at grabbing and keeping my attention.
4. The costumes are much more intricate and detailed. They are also somewhat from a different time frame. The set is far bigger and better than anything I can recall from earlier in the year. There also seems to be a much larger group of people performing.
Response to Rhodes Lauck:
I agree with basically everything you said. The projection was outstanding, the different language made it difficult, the costumes were amazing, and many more points.
1. I like the costumes and projection of the opera singers. The costuming of the woman revealing the riddles was very elaborate, as well as the emperor and the women behind him. They are also projecting very well and are being big on stage, and noticeable.
ReplyDelete2. I like the work, and believe that I wouldn't be too interested in it though. I really don't like operas, or productions in a foreign language, but it does seem cool.
3. I like comedies the most. Comedy holds my attention the most and i don't really like tragedies. Drama is up there on my list, but pulls a far second to comedies.
4. The costumes were what I noticed the most, and they seem very similar to the costuming of Ziegfeld's Follies in their elaborate nature.
RESPONSE TO MALIC: The fact that you know the producer/writer and have seen at least one of his other operas is really cool.
This seane looks like it was done in china and was in the older times. This work looks like ut took alot of time to put together and get everything correct. I would have probly perfered a comedy because i like comedys more than ido any of the rest of them. Theyare simular to the ones we have seen on here before because they are all old and plays we have never herd of.
ReplyDeleteResponce to swatts it does look like the the costumes in other plays we have seen
1. The elements of projection stand out the most to me. The size of the stages is absolutely enormous therefore making me believes that the audience’s theatre is even bigger. It would be hard for someone in the back row to hear someone else on stage if they don’t project and in the video I would actually tell that they were trying to project loud enough for everyone to hear.
ReplyDelete2. I think that they did a magnificent job in their play. They all projected, looked like they knew their lines, and knew where to go when they needed to be there. Overall I think that they did a great job and it looked a lot like a play that I would not mind going to see in the theatre.
3. I would prefer a comedy because comedies are my favorite kind of plays, I would rather prefer to see a comedy play because there are so many movies now a days that are always serious throughout and these movies are great, don’t get me wrong, but I see them all the time and a comedic play would be on my list of to see in a theatre.
4. The set and the costumes are similar and different in many ways. The stage set is absolutely humongous and is possibly one of the largest set pieces that I have ever seen. The costumes look like they took forever to make and the make-up is almost perfect. The actors all knew their job and they knew their lines and where their supposed to be at the specific time. Overall I think that this play would have been a huge success in the box office and critic reviews.
1.) The thetrical element that stood out to me the most was the very projected and clear singing of the cast. The singing was flawless as acts moved across the broad stage which is probably very hard to do. The cosutmes also were excellence all of them very elegant but powerful.
ReplyDelete2.) My over all impression of the work is it is very well done. Each character does thier role with out a single hint of flaw. They really seem to make opera look easy.
3.)I think I would prefer a drama. I like to to stay on the edge of my seat and be very intertwined in the plot iof a story.
4.) The set is much different from other works that I have seen so far. The stay is HUGE and it is very complex and really draws the audience into the seen. Also the costumes are very elegant and have extreme detail on each individual charater making them all more apart of the show even if thier role is small.
Throughout the video all i could think about is how do these people practice singing that loud but yet sounding great while doing it. The projection was incredible and holding notes is very hard but yet they make it look so easy.
ReplyDeleteMy impression of the work is a job well done. This is a pretty old video in my standards and i was surprised at how well done it was.
I would probably prefer some type of drama because the plot usually keeps you entertained I'm not sure i would like a comedy because it seems like it would be a different kind of humor but then again you never really know until you find something out.
4. i think its similar to other works that we've watched on the many videos you have showed us. But at the same time it was new because i have never watched one like this before.
ReplyDeleteRESPONDING TO: DJ Swatts i agree with the projection and just power these people presented.
1.The theatrical element that stood out the most was the acting of the cast. I was very powerful and well done. It was alsio done with wondeful singing probably making it a lot more difficult to do.
ReplyDelete2. My overall impression was that it was awesome. The show was perfectly acted and sang by the cast. You can clearly see how much work and effort was put in to the show because of the perfection of it.
3.I think i would prefer the comedy i would prefer it because i like to laugh and i like to be entertained so it would fall right into being my kind of show.
4.The costumes are very different. All the costumes are put together with great detail and each individual character is made to look and feel apart of the show.
1) The most impressive elements are the costumes, projection, lighting, and preparation. The costumes are extremely detailed and realistic, which in essence makes the entire production seem more realistic. In order to stand out and be heard, the singers' projection had to be near perfect, and in this production it was pretty close to perfection. The lighting is unique because it makes certain features stand out. Finally, with so many performers doing so many things, preparation must have been long and hard but worthwhile (no, that's not what she said).
ReplyDelete2)The quality of the production is great, with everyone being heard and each part executed flawlessly. However, I found the plot a bit confusing, mainly due to the subtitles. I did enjoy the performance.
3) I personally am not a fan of operas, but if I had to choose one style, it would be comedy. A comedy would best keep my attention and make me laugh on occasion.
4) The set and costumes contribute much to the production. The details of the set really reflect Turandot's palace, and it probably took long hours to recreate this environment. Like I said before, the costumes are extremely realistic, which makes the viewer feel as if the entire scene is real.
Response to Mark: I agree that the amount of preparation is shown by the quality of the production.
1.the theatrical element that stood out to me the most was how grand everything really was. There were so many actresses and actors at once on the stage. And the stage itself was huge and the costumes and props were very extravagant.
ReplyDelete2.It looked amazing to me everyone was on their job and it really showed. You could tell by the people that they wanted to be there and loved being there.
3.I would probably prefer comedy. I know the comedy in Opera's and the comedy in movies are probably very different but it's what i am in to.
4.you could tell even through the video that the costumes were magnificent. You can see that there was much effort put into each costume so that they would have an individualness to them. The same with the stage, there was so much put into it it is hard to believe.
1. the Theatrical element acting of the cast costumes, projection, lighting and the cast sang very well it was elctrifying. And they all had strong voice because i think that everyone was able to hear them.
ReplyDelete2. The quality was good to me everyone did what they had to do. Dedication and practice paid of for this performance.
3. Operas arent my type but i really would prefer a comedy. simply beacuse i like to laugh and some other forms of theatre are to serious and boring at times to me.
4.The costumes are very very different.everything is bid and overdone different from some of the other elemets. You could tell that hardwork and dedication was an important part to this play.
response to bruce: i agree that there was alot of time and effort put forth to make this a success.
ReplyDeleteOut of everything that impresses me is their costumes. There costumes, makeup, and the men’s facial hair look so abnormally realistic. They did a great job of blending in the actors with the scenery. They also did an amazing job with the set and the scenery. They made it look like and old Chinese fish pond with the multiple bridges all over the pond. I am very impressed with this work. They did a great job singing and they also did a great job in keeping their lines and their notes. I was overall very impressed in how they accomplished this. If I had to watch an opera it would have been a comedy. I would like to watch or listen to something that will give me a good laugh or a nice happy ending. I like walking out of a theatre with a smile on my face or some jokes in my head. I haven’t seen anything really besides Sweeny Todd that has anything to do with what I watched. I think that both of them are absolutely incredible especially the costumes and the sets and also the actors singing. They both sound absolutely amazing and they both are outstanding at what they do. I think that Blog 15 video was a bit more prestige than anything we have seen or studied. It is a work of art and hopefully sometime in the near future I will be able to see that play in real life and not over YouTube.
ReplyDeleteIn response to KJ:
I comepltely agree that their costumes, acting, and the lighting had a huge elctrifying effect on the audience.
1) The theatrical elemnts that stand out the most are the lights and the costumes that the opera people display throughout the cast also sang very well.
ReplyDelete2)the qualityt of the performance was very well rehearsed. I tohught they put alot of time and hardwork into it and it payed off very well.
3)i would prefer a comedy opera just because i prefer to laugh instead of be taken serious i love to laugh so comdy is a plus.
4) the costumes are very different in that they are dressed very beautifully and well thought out. Very well designed.
Reponse to Paul Banks:
Yea man i thought the singing was very well done and the acting.