THE RULES of THIS BLOG SITE

Any response that uses inappropriate language, content, or anything else that Mr. Williams would deem offensive will receive an automatic grade of "0" with no hope for resubmitting the post. You are expected to respond in a mature and Godly fashion. Content can talk about topical things (drugs, drinking, relationships, family, sex, God, emotions, etc.), but the delivery of the information should be in such a manner that well represents yourself, your parents and family, CBHS, Mr. Williams, and most importantly, God. I really look forward to your posts. -- Mr. Williams

September 25, 2010

Acting I Blog 7

DUE WEDNESDAY 9/29/10 BY 9:00 AM! For directions, please visit BLOG7 at the CBHS Theatrical & Choral Academic Activities website. I look forward to your posts!

68 comments:

  1. 1. I can say that Adam is extremely sad and that he couldn’t name his animals the way he wanted. He has been forced to move away from his shelter by this new creature that was unknown and unnamed. He feels as if he is not supposed to be around the place where his shelter is. He moves away from his old shelter to somewhere deeper in the garden, but somehow the unnamed creature sends a used to be beast, now known as a wolf to move again. The new creature has named everything the lazy way as in it looks like it or sounds like it way. It has also put up signs that are offensive and execrable. At first it seems like Adam’s words mirrors what he is trying to express, but at the end, it seems like he wants death to come faster.
    2. As an actor, if I was performing this monologue, I would think that the scene behind me is like a big great garden. Basically like a rain forest but a little drier and brighter green. But with a lot of trees and grass and a river and all sorts of wild animals, from small insects to frogs, to snakes and turtles and to tigers and elephants.
    3. As and actor, if I was performing this monologue, I would think that I will be wearing a green cloth to cover my private parts. And that’s pretty much it. I wouldn’t need a knife or a sword to protect myself because after all I am in the Garden of Eden. I would think that my face would be completely dirty and dark with dirt because I’m out in the wild and my hands and feet would be dirty from climbing trees and rocks.
    4. I would say that the animals and snakes would be on stage. Some big boulders and rocks would be around. Some big flowers and big ferns would be around the setting. Also a sound of insects naming cricking noises and river flowing sounds.
    5. I would act as I was abandoned and had to be expelled from where I created my own place. I would be so sad to see how a place was good but now it is corrupted and animals are given their instincts to kill each other. I would say that “this is foolish, because to do that would be to kill each other, and that would introduce what, as I understand, is called "death"; and death, as I have been told, has not yet entered the Park. Which is a pity, on some accounts.” is the most important line in the monologue because I believe that at the end Adam realizes that everything has changed and now it is all corrupted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) I think that Adam was angry that he had to share this land that he thought was beautiful and perfect in every way with a long haired person who was always naming things before he could put in any input. I also think that he was very annoyed that the girl followed him around and insulted him by making signs that indicated where to go to get to certain islands or caves. I actually think that he feels the opposite of what he is saying. Many people say that are feeling on way in order to cover up something else. We all know that in the story of Adam and Eve they both loved each other. I think his words contradicted the things that he actually felt.
    2) I would have a very vivid and colorful background that would depict the "perfect" world. A nice blue sky with green trees, green grass, and beautiful flowers would be put into the background. I would add a few small animals that could possibly add to the scenery.
    3) If I were performing this monologue I would probably have just a cloth that covered my genitals. For the makeup I would just put on something that would make me look much tanner because I'm sure that Adam was very tan since he was outside all the time. He was outside at every moment of light so he probably also had dark hair and a beard. This might add to the detail of the monologue.
    4) Also on stage would be some of the things that were described in the monologue including maybe some of the signs that Eve had put up according to Adam. Maybe some of the beauties that you see in everyday life would outline the set and compliment the rest of the scenery.
    5) I would be very annoyed when I was in public but when I was portrayed in private then I would do the exact opposite which would show his real feelings but also add a little humor. I believe that the most important line in this monologue is, "and death, as I have been told, has not entered the park." This is obvious because it represents that there is no sin in the garden and so far everything is going as planned by God.

    Response to Max Chang:
    The most important quote to me is also the same as yours because I thought that it was a very obvious choice. I also like that you said that you would put some animals such as snakes on the stage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. From what I read, this new creature has changed Adam's whole mindset. He is very upset about his animals and everything else that has changed due to this new creature. He doesn't want this creature with him, for Adam does not want company.

    2. If I was an actor doing this monologue the background would be outside and having to do with nature. It would be very plain and green. I think there would be a big tree that is hanging over me with smaller trees around it.

    3. I would be a very tan person, with very hairy body parts and very awkward movements. I would use my surroundings as clothes. I would have scrapes from having to sleep outside. My hair would be all tangly and gross.

    4. There would be bushes around it. Definitely have animals, like bears and deer and lizards. Many trees and leaves surrounding the stage and maybe a wild garden on one of the sides.

    5.I would be disappointed in this place I created. It would be hard to see the animals mess the place up. I would be a mix of sad and disappointed. "She has littered the whole estate with execrable names and offensive signs: THIS WAY TO THE WHIRLPOOL; THIS WAY TO GOAT ISLAND; CAVE OF THE WINDS THIS WAY." is the most important because it really explains what the creature did, and really shows me how bad it was.



    Response to Max chang; I can agree with all you said. Most of it was good, and I like the line you picked. It really was an important one, and very significant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adam is upset and not happy that there is a creature following him around. In Adam's life, it seem like the creature is interfering with his social life. Adam built a shelter and it seems that he is disappointed that he had to welcome the creature in. Adam wants the creature out of his life and he is mad and upset with the creature. In Adam’s head, he feels that the creature is in the way of Adam having any peace within his life. Adam can’t have any time to himself because the creature is in the way of Adam’s life. Adam’s words mirror the way he feels because Adam is really emotional about everything that he says and he means everything he says. While Adam tries to ignore the creature, the creature has too much power and is getting into Adam’s head.

    As an actor, if I were performing this monologue, the scenery would be in the woods during the night. I like the idea of dark set. There would be trees and a lot of leaves around the scene. Also, I would include a lot of holes and ditches around the woods. The woods would be dark and brown. There would be some trees on the ground and a lot sticks in the way. The scene would be interesting with a full moon and some noises in the background. An owl would be on a tree and the scene would look pretty scary. When I talk about the Garden of Eden, then I would enter a garden that looks like a paradise. Flowers and a beautiful sky would be surrounding the garden. A rainbow would be in the sky and the grass would be really green. A few little birds would chirp and fly around the garden. There would be plants growing and the blooming flowers would make the garden beautiful.

    As an actor, if I were performing this monologue, than I would wear a plaid long sleeve shirt with holes and wrinkles on it. I also would wear some beaten up blue jeans and they would be dirty with holes all around them. I would be wearing boots with mud and dirt on them. I like the idea of me being a country boy who spends time outside. My face would have scratches and some dirt on it. My face and hair would be dirty and there would be a leave in my hair. My fingernails are dark and full of dirt inside them. My costume is worn out and wrinkled. The make-up on my face would look like I spend a lot of time outside in the woods getting dirty.

    On the stage, there would be trees and a lot leaves all over the front of the stage. The ditches would be visible and there would be a moon hanging down. Dirt would be all around the stage and some sticks and trees would be on lying down. Rocks and stones would be at the front of the stage. In the woods, a deer would cross the stage and there would be deer stands in the trees. When I go to the garden, there would be beautiful flowers and plants. A rainbow would be hanging down and the scene would be very bright.

    In the monologue, I would be emotional and upset. For most of the monologue, I would look down on myself and look sad. The only time that I would look happy and thrilled would be when I talk about the Garden of Eden. This makes me happy and makes me feel safe and peaceful. The audience will think I am in pain and in emotional sadness. I would have to transform from being sad at the beginning when the creature follows me and then I would become happy when I talk about the Garden of Eden. When Adam says, “ I get no chance to name anything myself” I believe is the most important line because it symbolizes the conflict of the monologue. The creature won’t go back to the other animals. The creature has to stay with Adam. This line tells how sad Adam’s life is and it describes the reason for Adam being sad. Throughout the rest of the monologue, the creature has been a negative influence on Adam and the creature gives Adam no hope. This line describes the whole purpose to the monologue and it gives the reader an understanding of the monologue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Response to Corbin Carter:

    I agree with you that the creature is getting into Adam's mind and taking over his life. I like your description of yourself and the bushes describe the outside of your scene. The monologue is sad and I like the quote you used. Your quote showed what the creature did and it made Adam into something he is not. You were creative with your description of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My response to Corrbin Carter:

    I totally agree with what you are stating too. It was good and i also have to agree with this new creature did changed Adam's mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. I feel that Adam is confused and annoyed. He is confused because he doesn't know why the creature is around. I think the creature is a women, becuase Twain says it has long hair and is called "she". He is annoyed becuase the creature follows him around and names everything, Adam has no say. I feel when Adam talks about how he kind of wants death to enter the park, that is not how he really feels. He is just over reacting.
    2.I would have a nature background. I would have a forrest that has not been interfered by man. I would have lions and sheep living in harmony, becuase like Adam said, there is no death yet. It would be peaceful but the creature is creating faults in it.
    3. I would just have a cloth covering my private parts. I would not shave, so I would look ancient. I would also look clean and the cloth would be white, becuase I have not been touched by sin yet. I would also have really long hair.
    4. I would also have the creature, or I believe the woman, on stage. The creature will be puting name tags on the animals when he talks about it. The creature would also try to get creatures to fight. An audience will be able to hear Adam's words, while watching the creature's actions.
    5. I would act annoyed and confused. Also I will have great emotion when I am talking. I think the most important is, "death, as I have been told, has not yet entered the Park. Which is a pity, on some accounts." This shows how annoyed Adam is. Adam would rather take death, than spend another secondt with this creature.
    RESPONSE AT Browning Stubbs: I would agree that the setting would be woods. It was a good idea to have the woods be dark, becuase it adds a sense of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. In this passage I think that Adam is confused and upset that someone else has intruded into his own private world. Since he has never seen a woman before he refers to Eve as a beast and doesn’t like how she has the ability to name the animals he has grown to love. As she begins to cultivate and modernize the area he can’t stand it because she is killing the beauty of the untamed wilderness
    2. If I had to act out this scenario I would have to be in a forest setting with wild animals and huge trees untouched by man. Then I would also show how the world around me begins to change as Eve keeps messing with things.
    3. I would be wearing clothes that look as if they were made by hand out of nothing but nature with long uncut hair. My face would also have to be dirty and look as if I had been living in a forest for a long time.
    4. There would need to be animals on stage to get across the point that all of the animals and I had lived peacefully before eve had showed up.
    5. As an actor I would need to very distraught with what was going on around me and try to avoid Eve. Then as she begins to change thing I would get very angry and sad about what she is doing to my world. “This is foolish, because to do that would be to kill each other, and that would introduce what, as I understand, is called "death"; and death, as I have been told, has not yet entered the Park.” This my favorite line because it show how death did not exist before Eve decided to eat the fruit of evil, and that the world used to be a beautiful place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. I think in this passage that Adam is jealous that the woman seems to be making the decisions and even at this time man still had pride and had to be number one even if deep down he did have feelings for her. He wants to harm her but knows not too harm her and deep down i feel as though he doesnt really want to harm her he just wants to be better than she is.

    2. The set that i would imagine around me would be every color imaginable. I would have all types of animals of different shapes and sizes. I would have a beautiful actress to play the role of Eve. The set would be absolutely breath taking and the audience would be in awe.

    3. For my costume i would use nothing but my bare essentials because when this took place they wore nothing and i think that i would only need something to cover up my private area.

    4.

    ReplyDelete
  10. On stage there would be lots of movement that would keep the audiences attention throughout the play. But not so much as to where they lose focus on the true identity of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 5. I think the most important line of the play would be for Adam to admit his true love for eve. He would admit it in such away that he felt as though he didnt want to but knew that he had too.

    Max: I agree that adam was very sad that he couldnt name the animals the way he wanted too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are many emotions that are running through Adam’s mind at this time. The one that he is most likely feeling is he is confused. He has been the only human and then all of the sudden he is accompanied by another just like him. He might also feel betrayed, as if God did not think he was good enough so he had to create another human for his pleasure. He is feeling a little annoyed, because all that she is doing is nagging him and following him around, nothing has changed. He might also have some feelings that he has never had before, like feelings of attraction toward Eve. Imagining that I am an actor, I would have many things that correspond to this time period behind and around me. The first thing that I would have in the background would be the big apple tree, because this is the main visual image that is in people’s heads when they hear of the creation story. I would also have live animals on stage like lions and what not, because that would create a real sense of scenery and imagery. I would also have vines hanging down, and stars as the lighting. As an actor the costume and makeup that I would have would be that of old times. At first I would be naked; this play is for mature audiences only. Then after I would have on a leaf. I would also look dirty and managed. The emotional choices, would first be confused, then annoyed, then attraction.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with paul the woman is just jelious and got adam in a lot of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. After reading the passage, I got the feeling that Adam is a bit confused with himself. On the outside it looks like he’s angry and mad, but I think that deep down he likes this “new creature” (which we can assume is a woman from the physical descriptions given). He insinuates that he doesn’t like how this creature has become an authoritative figure and he secretly admires her curiosity. His escaping from her is an outlet for him to get away from this feeling he doesn’t understand which I believe is love. This may not necessarily apply only to Adam, but all men. Especially when they are confronted with their first love.

    2. I imagine the scenery of a modern park. Complete with signs and fences, picnic tables and barbeque stations.

    3. I would keep my costume plain. Clothes that a late-teen or early twenty year-old would wear. I’d try to portray myself as a normal guy, simply struggling with this strange new feeling of love as well as this other person who has entered and affected my life.

    4. A tent should either be painted into the background or perhaps just set up behind me as a symbol of escape. It would symbolize a feeble attempt at running away from something that will catch up with you sooner or later.

    5. To try and portray the combination of anger and love I’d think of my backstabbing former friend. Whenever I think of her, it’s obvious that I she hurt me and that she robbed me of someone important. And that someone she robbed me of would contrast with that anger in the form of love. In my opinion, the most important line is “This new creature with the long hair is a good deal in the way. It is always hanging around and following me about. I don't like this; I am not used to company,” because this is a great example of how uncomfortable Adam is with another person of equal intellectuality.

    My response to Paul Banks:
    Wow, it never even occurred to me that Adam might actually have thought of the idea of hurting her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1. I think Adam is very angry in this passage because he does not know this new creature and he is afraid of it. I do not think Adam really hates the creature I think he is scared of it because he knows that it is a lot like him. It ca talk like him it walks like him and it even can think like him and he has never seen anything else that can do all those things.

    2. If there was a background in this scene I think it would have a lot of plants everywhere and there would be animals there in the background. There would also be a little shelter like Adam has in the passage.

    3. In the scene I would be wearing something made out of animal skin because that was what people wore in such early times like where this passage took place.

    4. If I could put anything else on stage I think it would probably be some kind of God figure looking down at Adam because I think that is what he did when he first made man and woman. Also I might put some kid of sake around the stage to show how the devil was present in this story.

    5. If I were Adam in this passage I would act confused and a little scared. I would also act annoyed at the woman. I think the most important line in this passage is the first one. Because I think he does not really think she is getting in the way I think he likes her and he has ever felt that feeling so he is scared of it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I responce to Andrew Malic
    I agree that adam is confused and I also think he actually likes the new creature. I never thought of being in regular clothes in the scene but I can see where you're coming from trying to keep it simple.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1.I interpret the emotional state of adam as worried, angry, and upset. He says that he will not fret about the names of the animals any longer but yet he continues to talk about them for a lot more sentences. He is angry because the person naming the animals names them as what they look like and not what they are. He is upset he doesn't get to rename them.I think he feels under- apprietaited and neglected. I think he is telling us how he feels for the most part.
    2. If I were an actor acting this out on stage I would want a very small, half built shelter. I would also want it to look like my quality of living was rough. A rain machaine to get the full picture would be nice.
    3. If I were an actor performing this monolgue, I would want to be dressed like a homeless man. This man feels neglected and so he should look that way. I would have deep black spots under my eyes and never smile to much. I would want a little bit of cloth over my front and back side to get the full affect of the time period. He may have not been wearing anything at this point becasue death hasnt entered the garden yet.
    4. I would also want cut out of live animals on stage. They would be around a water hole having a good time and adam would be by his lonesome in a jealous sort of way looking at them. I would want this to take place at dark. This means the lighting would be dim and there would be a black painting along the back of the stage. The animal side would have more light.
    5. My emotional choice would be to look angry and upset with were the actor is in his life. hE would have to look neglected like a school boy sitting by himself. Which is a pity, on some account is my favorite line in this story. To me it is the most important because this brief desciption tells how adam really feels about the animals.

    My response to Shaun: I also think adam is scared of the animal. It could be fear of the unknown because adam does not know what this creature is capable of, of it could be the opposite because he has seen this creature in nature. I would be scared if I were adam.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1) Adam is depressed because he could not name anything on his own. He is also depressed because the new creature names things before he gets a chance to. He does not feel as happy as he did before the new creature came along. He is angered when things are named by the new creature without the new creature consulting him about the new name. He describes exactly how he feels about the new creature.

    2) The first thing that I would imagine if I were performing this monologue on stage would be the tree of good and evil. The second thing that I would imagine would be a beautiful garden with all different kinds of animals in the garden. The scenery would look kind of like a smaller type of forest.

    3) If I were acting out this scene I would be wearing underwear made up of leaves and other things.I would not wear anything above my waist because I am a man. If I were a woman I would have to wear something to cover my breast.

    4) The only other things that would be on the stage that I can think of would be all the animals that live in the forests. Like monkeys hanging from a tree and different kinds of birds.

    5) I would have to act like someone who is depressed because another person has taken over their power. I would also act angry towards the woman and kind of scared.

    Response to George Douglas: I like your creative idea about how you would be dressed as a homeless man on stage. I agree with the cloth as the clothing of your person.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 1.) In this story, Adam feels angry and depressed toward "the creature". He highly resents her and just wishes she would go away. He thinks that she is just too high-strung and controlling for him to live his life the way he had it going. He acts kindly towards her, but on the inside he can't stand her.
    2.)If I were the actor performing this, I would have a set that resembles what I think the Garden of Eden looked like. I would have rolling hills, waterfalls, trees, flowers, a lot of sunshine, and animals running around.
    3.) If I were acting out this scene, I would have to go with the general fig leaf or a loin cloth to cover up genitalia and that's it cause they didn't have clothes at this point and its illegal to be naked on stage unless the entire audience is 18+.
    4.) I don't think I would put anything else on the stage. I mainly covered everything I would want in number 2.
    5.)The emotional statements I would make would be to show weariness, disappointment, being fed up, and irritabilty. To me, the most important line is the end when Adam is talking about how death has not entered the Garden yet and that is a pity. I think its the most important because it shows just how badly he wants the "creature" gone.

    ReplyDelete
  20. In Response to Merritt Jacks:

    I agree with your statement about showing that you are a man by not wearing anything above the chest, and if you were acting out the woman, you'd wear something to cover the breasts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. In the passage Adam is very upset. He is upset because an intruder has come in, and she has been naming all of the animals without consulting Adam. He is also very upset that he has to share the land. The land he is on is beautiful full of unknown species that are waiting to be named. Now, Adam has to share this. Now Adam not only has someone coming into his land naming the animals, the woman is following him around on everything he does. His words say he is annoyed, but I think he really likes all of the company with another life form but does not want to admit it.

    If I were performing this, I would have a garden like stage set up, but with dimmed lights. I would spotlight myself so I could emphasize that I was reading from the journal. I would have the lights dimmed because the passage is kind of sad and gloomy.

    For my costume, I would be wearing minimal clothing that was made out of animal hides. I would have a great tan and a lot of chest hair. I would be sort of dirty, and have some cuts and bruises.
    I would have a whole lot of animals on the stage, and have someone play the character of the intruder. This would make the point clear that it is an Adam and Eve scenario.

    The emotions I would use would be greed, annoyed, and nervous. I would use greed because I did not want to give up any of my possessions; annoyed because I would be annoyed that she is taking over every thing I was doing; and nervous because I did not know what to think about.

    I escaped last Tuesday night, and traveled two days, and built me another shelter in a secluded place, and obliterated my tracks as well as I could, but she hunted me out by means of a beast which she has tamed and calls a wolf, and came making that pitiful noise again, and shedding that water out of the places she looks with. I was obliged to return with her, but will presently emigrate again when occasion offers. She engages herself in many foolish things; among others; to study out why the animals called lions and tigers live on grass and flowers, when, as she says, the sort of teeth they wear would indicate that they were intended to eat each other.
    This is the most important in my opinion because it shows that wherever man goes, women will follow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Response to Carter
    I agree with you on the set of your choice. I think you idea for the attire was great

    ReplyDelete
  23. Adam is upset because he cannot be creative enough to give the creature a name. He is upset and angry at this because he lacks creativity and also the raining doesnt make his situation any better.I think what is going through Adams head is confusiontoward. the creature and his emotions intertwined with confusion forces him to be mean and spiteful toward the creature.

    if I was the actor in this story I would I would be in setting resembling a grassy terrain resembling a rainforest and the Niagara Falls. Something very grassy, that's just how this story pictures in my head. My costume and makeup would be my face would be dirty just from being outside living in a shack and my costume would be old worn out and torn up. I would have in stage a massive amount of flowers! Trees clouds to picture storming that was going on.

    ReplyDelete
  24. 1. I would interpret Adam's emotions as being angry and upset. The creature follow him, which he does not like at all.. Also he is upset that the creature is naming all the animals, and he cannot even try to name then. He becomes mad when the creature renames the Garden of Eden. I believe he fells unappreciated.
    2. If I were an actor performing this scene I would not want it to be similar to a jungle. Plants and ani mals all over the stage that Adam metioned about. Also maybe one of the signs the creature made.
    3. If I were an actor performing this monolouge my costume would be quite simple. Something made out of soft animal skin.
    4. If I were to put anything else on the stage I first would put the creature to show everyone what is making all the toruble. Possibly a few more animals and the signs the creature made. This would make the scene be more realistic of the passage.
    5. If I played Adam in the passage, I would choose to portray anger. Throughout the entire passage Adam is upset abput something different that the creature did. I would say the most important line would be "I don't like this; I am not used to company" beacuse right then he tells us that he has problems living with the creature.
    Response to George Douglas: Your ideas throughout the answers were very well thought out and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Would have a lot of animals in stage like tigers girrafes and animals. With a river showing animals grazing the terrain. My emotions I would portray would be anger, going on with a rant towardthe creature I woukd be selfish because I didn't want to share my shack and slightly out of my mind because of the lack of human contact.

    ReplyDelete
  26. n this passage Adam is scared and angered by the actions of this new "creature." He feels that he has no say in anything at all. All he is supposed to do is tend to his things and not worry about what this "creature" is doing on her own. His words vividly mirror how he really feels. I could feel the anger and rage in his voice as I read it. He uses strong words that help the reader figure out how much he despises this new thing; and how much he wants it to let everything be the way God had intended it to be.

    I imagine a cave like area with trees and shrubbery all around. Somewhere where Adam can say this alone to himself. I see him pacing thinking of what to do and all of these things that has happened. It would be dark because he cannot do this during the day, otherwise she will find him.

    I would wear little clothing. I would want to look dirty, as if I travel a lot; Have long flowing hair, facial hair; Be harry in general, very tan because of the conditions I live in.

    Lots of wild and exotic animals on the stage. I would want it to look as life like as possible, so maybe a creek or cave something I could hide behind if the woman comes along looking for me. I would want vines hanging from the ceiling. I would want the works.

    I would choose emotions like anger and fear to portray the actors true emotions. "This new creature with the long hair is a good deal in the way. It is always hanging around and following me about. I don't like this; I am not used to company. I wish it would stay with the other animals. I get no chance to name anything myself. The new creature names everything that comes along, before I can get in a protest." This part of the passage is the most important because it helps set the scene and shows how upset Adam is with Eve. It also shows how pretty much in every relationship the woman wears the pants in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  27. She engaged in many among other things, the study of animals like lions and tigers why they live on grassy terrain. Meaning that there's. Reaon why human and animals differ In society.

    I also agree with Connor payne with his quote that women will follow wherever mangoes

    ReplyDelete
  28. 1.
    I think he is annoyed by Eve and it seems funny how he tries to escape her but can’t. He acts like everything she does it foolish and unnecessary, like naming everything. He doesn’t seem to enjoy all of the comments she makes on everything and how she challenges things that are already set in the surroundings. What I mean by this is she challenges the fact that the area is called a garden and she challenges the way the tigers and lions eat flowers not each other. She acts as though she has to put reason to all of the things around them. He doesn’t exactly get what “the creature” is all about. He doesn’t understand why she gets upset when he tries to escape her. I would say that he feels upset with the fact that she came into his world and tried to modify everything he was accustomed to.

    2.
    I feel like the scenery in the background should be the Garden of Eden. It should have animals running around and lions eating flowers. It should have trees, fields, rocks, and bushes everywhere.

    3.
    I think that the man should have like a loincloth on and that the woman should have under wear made out of like deer skin or something. It should be the traditional attire for the Adam and Eve scene.

    4.
    I feel like the tree of knowledge needs to be on stage. There should also be a bunch of fruit trees and animals.

    5.
    I feel like Adam should be really confused, distressed, and sad looking and that Eve should be really happy, playful, and clueless sounding. Adam would be walking away from Eve and she would just be following him constantly pointing at things and saying the names. I think the most important like of the dialogue would be Eve saying to Adam, “looks like a dodo.”

    Response to Colin Rafferty:

    I do think that Adam would be very upset and angry with Eve and I do think that there would be a lot of exotic animals everywhere. The image of the background taht you said reminded me a lot of my image.

    ReplyDelete
  29. 1. Adam is very depressed and distraught. The "new creature" is taking over the Garden. The "creature" is doing all of the things that Adam wants to do, such as naming the creatures. Adam also has been a very private person up to this point; he has done everything by himself up to this point and he enjoyed being alone. Now, everything has changed and he doesn't like it. He feels annoyed and pressured. He just wants to get away from the "creature". His words mirror the way he feels. His actions show that his words are the true way he feels.

    2. I would imagine a lot of trees behind me standing in fairly tall grass with patches of taller grass, boulders, and bushes scattered around as well. I would also think that some animals would be placed on the set, for example, birds in the trees, or lions hiding in some tall grass. The background scenery should also included a waterfall.

    3. I would wear basically nothing. Obviously just something to cover the lower body, but not much more because this is suppose to be portrayed at the time of creation. My character would look like a modern hobo, including long hair and a beard. I imagine my character as someone covered in dirt and crime as well.

    4. There has to be a female character as well because the story suggests that one is present. In addition, there would be many animals and things that would be found in a forest.

    5. I think the most important line in the monologue is "I was obliged to return with her, but will presently emigrate again when occasion offers." It shows that he knows he is connected to her someway and he knows what must be done, but he is also still annoyed. My character has to look as if he is being heckled or yelled at. The character should look like someone that has lost his way and is just trying to find a home.

    My response to Colin Rafferty:
    I agree with the description of Adam. But instead of being harry, I say he should be hairy, but that's just my opinion. The main agreement is that he should be dirty. I disagree with the cave of his scene description. I don't remember a cave discussed in this monologue or the original creation story, but more importantly, this is described as a forested area and not many forests have caves.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Adding on to #5..

    I think that "looks like a dodo," is an important line because it really shows her rambling and it shows how she is persistant with what she beleives the names should be.

    ReplyDelete
  31. In this passage Adam is very sad because he does not get to name any of the animals, nor does he never get to get away from the beast. It also seems like Adam is almost kind of depressed in this passage, he is so sick of everything he tries to run away but he still gets brought back by the wolf.
    2. If I were performing this monologue I would imagine the set behind me being very dark and dreary, and I would make it very depressing and sad looking.
    3. If I were performing this I would be much smaller than the beast and have short hair and I would be clean shaven. I would be wearing clothes made out of leaves and other stuff like that.
    4. Everything else that would be on stage would be other animals and the beast, and I would make sure there were a lot of trees on stage, and I would but clouds above the stage blocking the sunlight.
    5. If I were the actor in this monologue I would make myself seem very sad and look like I am constantly being overpowered by the beast. I think the most important line in this passage is “My life is not as happy as it was.” I think it was this line because it shows that Adam had fallen ever since the beast came around.
    Response to Colin Cody:
    i like your choice of animals. i think it is very creative and fits the story well

    ReplyDelete
  32. 1. The most obvious emotion to me in the passage is not sadness or even anger, but confusion and frustration. Adam has been confronted with this new "creature," which we now know is Eve, and rather than trying to adapt and compromise to something new he is confused and scared and frustrated about change. His words mirror his emotions perfectly; Adam had a set routine, a way of naming animals and places and someone messed it up. As humans, we enjoy our routines and the way we set up things and having to share that with someone and change the way we do things to accomodate others is scary. Adam mentions things like death that he doesn't truly understand, but he's merely seeking out a way to become less confused.

    2. As for scenery, I'd want the set to be as sparce as possible. Maybe a dark, rocky setting with water sounds and mist in the background depicting some kind of hidden waterfall cave. I'd want the lighting set low so an aura of silence goes over the audience. The lack of lighting and the seclusion of the cave could help set the mood for Adam's insular behavior. Why make a wide open area for the audience to see when a closed off insular area would help set the tone better?

    3. Costume and makeup would again be minimal. Probably a loincloth of some kind and enough makeup on my face to lighten the cheeks, but sink the eyes maybe from lack of sleep. I'd want the look of being naive, but the sunken feeling of a person that's had enough of a problem that he's ready to deal with it.

    4. I could see rocks and small bugs and maybe even a water snake. A snake would be key as a symbol of evil because of the biblical tone. Again, this would need to be sparse to set the tone for the monologue.

    5. I'd focus on confusion and maybe even rambling. I read this monologue and see something that could be turned into something darker if someone put in enough effort. I'd ramble and rant like a madman, rarely taking pauses to distinguish sentences. I'd culminate with the last line insinuating that maybe the new "creature" would be the first to experience death.

    RESPONSE TO MR. FLEMING:

    Your choice for emotion is spot on. I got the feeling of frustration and tiredness from the monologue as well. I believe if the actor doing this could take his own perspective on the story and not just go with the vanilla pretty background and smile scene it could be turned into something quite fun.

    ReplyDelete
  33. 1) In a figurative sense, Twain is expressing his distaste with women; perhaps such distaste is a result of a bad experience with a girlfriend. In order to help the audience/reader better understand his feelings within the monologue, Twain uses the biblical Adam and his feelings about Eve, who led him to the temptation of sin. By stating that this "creature" gives everything names by mere appearance, Adam suggests that he thinks women only judge people by the outside and not the content of character. He also believes that women are too clingy; as stated, the "creature" shed water - or tears - out of its eyes and wiped the water away when it was told that he needed peace. Finally, Adam's references to the "park signs" suggest that he views women as too controlling - women try to dictate what he does. In regards to the aforementioned, Adam's words figuratively mirror how he feels.

    2) Since the figurative setting involves animals and natural life, I would incorporate much plant and animal life as scenery. Most things mentioned in the monologue should be included, as this would give the audience a better understanding of the point Adam is trying to make.

    3) As the actor performing the monologue, I would try to portray some sort of plain man, as Adam was; nothing extravagant is necessary. Although portraying Adam as an animal would parallel Adam's usage of animals to express his pain, it is necessary for the audience to view Adam as a man due to the biblical references. No makeup or other appearance-enhancers would be necessary, as this would be too "womanly" - this entire monologue is set on deriding these types of things.

    4) The only "extra" element of setting I would suggest is room for Adam to run, due to the fact that he wants to stay away from the "creature."

    5) "She engages herself in many foolish things; among others; to study out why the animals called lions and tigers live on grass and flowers, when, as she says, the sort of teeth they wear would indicate that they were intended to eat each other. This is foolish, because to do that would be to kill each other, and that would introduce what, as I understand, is called "death"; and death, as I have been told, has not yet entered the Park. Which is a pity, on some accounts." This quote accurately summarizes Adam's feelings - he views everything the "creature" does with question and/or scorn, and he implicitly wishes death on this "creature" in the very last sentence. In order to effectively portray these feelings, I would use the emotions of discontent, frustration, anger, and stress - basically, I would have the feeling of "get me the heck out of here!"

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think that Adam is feeling annoyed and angry at the creature that is constantly following him. He gets aggetated when the creature begins to name the animals in the garden before he can. The other thing that makes Adam mad is the fact that the creature wants to rename the Garden of Eden. If someone was acting this out I think that they should have jungle type scenery. Plants, trees, vines, a vast number of animals, and maybe a small pond would be nice to have on the stage. A costume that would best fit this would be something simple. Something made out of animal skin would work. It should have an ancient caveman type look to it. The main characters that should be added are the creature for sure and maybe a few extra animals in order to portray the garden in a better way. The creature is necessary because him and Adam have a conversation. If I were the role of Adam, then I would try to show the strong annoyance the creature is being to me. I would also try to show the anger he has towards him due to his constant changes.

    ReplyDelete
  35. RESPONSE TO BROWNING STUBBS

    Yeah I agree with the leaves being on the stage to show what kind of setting you are in.

    ReplyDelete
  36. 1. Adam is completely annoyed by the creature that is always talking and following him where ever he goes. I would have to say that would be the emotional state of this passage. Adam tries to escape from the annoying creature, but some how she finds ways to find him and begs him to stay with her. Deep down inside, he will try to escape again. His words as well as actions completely mirror how he truly feels.
    2. The scenery for this passage would have to have a wilderness theme. Trees and grass everywhere.
    3. If I was Adam, my costume would have to be nude with just a leaf covering my manly parts.
    4. Animals hidden behind the trees. Adam and the creature following him walk together through the wilderness naming the nature as they walk by it.
    5. After reading this passage, I would have to say as an actor my emotional choices would be pretty simple. Deep down inside, I would be annoyed by the creature following me, but I would have patience to deal with the creature. I believe the most important line(s) would have to come from the very end of the passage. I think this because everyone has their own outlooks and beliefs on “death.”

    ReplyDelete
  37. RESPONSE TO MICAH FLEET:

    Although I think Adam's feelings are due to thoughts about the opposite sex, I can see why you percieve them to be related to change. Adam was used to having the world to himself, then God created woman - now he had to share it. In a sense, Adam could have been selfish.

    I like your details of stage scenery, especially the water snake. Each element you mentioned has a symbolic meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  38. To Torpoco:
    I like your blog it is really interesting to me. And Adam and the creature haveing a converstaion is weird and all don't you think. And by the way you have to do your eye thing in class tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  39. After reading this I would say that Adam is very upset with what is going on. He feels like he is stuck with a creature that will not leave him alone. In his head he thinks that the other creature is very annoying and that he would run away from it at any chance he got. I think that his words mirror how he really feels. I think he really does feel trapped by the other creature.

    If I was an actor and was doing this monologue I would imagine a wonderful background full of trees and grass and with water and waterfalls and animals as far as the eye can see.

    For a costume and makeup i would not want much. I would imagine being in next to no clothing and if i had any makeup it would probably just be to make me look beaten up. I would probably also have long hair and a large beard.

    I would also have dinosaurs on stage. They would be there because it would be out of the ordinary. There would also be larger scale sized animals that still exist today and wooly mammoths.

    As and actor the emotion i would choose for this would be distress. This would be because he feels like he is in a predictament that he cannot get out of being stuck with the other creature. The most important line in this monologue is "I was obliged to return with her, but will presently emigrate again when occasion offers." I think that is the most important line because it shows that he is unhappy with the other creature.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Response to Austin:
    I agree with Austin in that Adam is very annoyed by the other creature and I like how he also tied in the whole he tried to run away but she found him thing

    ReplyDelete
  41. 1. The emotional state that Adam is is he feels kind of betrayed. He is also getting very annoyed with the creatures actions, and how the creature thinks he can just budge in and make new names for things after Adam had already made them. Alot is definately going through his mind, It is obvious by some of the clues in the story. Adam talks about how he cant stand when the creature budges in and all of the sudden has all of these new plans for the things that Adam has already thought out and he isnt going to be happy until he gets his way. The whole story you can tell that Adam is very annoyed and he is trying to get away from the creature, as it says when he tries to escape to build his own shelter. His words mirror what he feels exactly. All of the clues give the reader the perfect idea of how Adam feels and what he is feeling deep inside.
    2. As the actor performing this monologue, I would definately have alot of props and sets to accurately display what was said in the story. I would have grass all over the floor to let the reader know the setting. Also, I would have other props to let the audience know that it was meant to be a garden. Also I would have all of the signs that the creature speaks of about the directions to the whirlpool, etc.
    3. If I were the actor performing this monologue, then I would not really have a bunch of makeup or costume on. The story doesnt really let the reader know in the begginning that they are really dressed up or anything. I would put Adam in some raggedy clothes and maybe some dirt on his face to show the audience that he is in the outdoors. Maybe some sweat. If I wanted to be creative, I would probably put the new creature in something that made him confident or seem confident to the audience. The creature comes across as being very arrogant and that the only thing that matters is his opinion. I would maybe put a crown on him and a king's suit.
    4. There would be a few other props that would be on the stage. Maybe something to let the audience know that there are caves around. Also, I would maybe have something to represent death, because death is mentioned a little bit in the story, I think it is significant enough to be represented as far as material things go. Also, maybe some tools used for killing people because it talks about the possibility of death in the story.
    5.The emotional choices that I would choose to portray if I were the actor preparing this monologue would be I would have Adam in a very disgusted and pissed off manner. I would have him speaking in a normal tone, and then as the story went on I would have his tone get a little bit softer and with the tone that he is getting annoyed. I would also have Adam do some facial expressions to make sure that the audience knew he was upset and annoyed, it is very important to get across to the audience that Adam is getting annoyed with the creature and is trying to get away from him. The creature would be speaking in kind of tone and walking around with his "chest" out like he was the man. Also, he would always be in a good mood because everything is going his way and he is almost like the king. I would have him talk in a very arrogant manner and make some unique movement to prove to the audience that everything revolves around him and he is acting like he is the only important one in the story.

    RESPONSE TO JASON HAAG:
    I agree with you on the costume part. I feel the same way because there is not much that is told in the story that tells the reader that they are looking like anything special. I like the wooly mammoths on stage also.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Adam is ranting about how much he hates Eve. He seems angry and frustrated. He seems to be in the state of anger where you don’t really mean what you say. He seems to be very closed minded, and he is not letting any other idea enter his head other than, Eve is bad.
    If I were to act out this monologue, I would want to be in some sort of cave to symbolize that I was trapped in my own state of mind, and that caves are dark, and Adam seems to be in a dark place mentally.
    Adam is traditionally portrayed as being nude, but since most theaters would not accept it, I would stick to what is usually accepted and just wear a loin cloth and no make-up at all.
    I would be away from Eve when I perform this, for obvious reasons. I think it would be creative if the actor playing Adam would present this monologue to many animals near-by. It would make him seem less crazy for talking to himself. Because Eve is not around, he can only talk to animals.
    When this is acted out, the performer would have to show a lot of intense emotion like anger. My favorite line is the last line, which is a pity, on some accounts, because it implies that he wishes to kill things sometimes. I think that is a very clever and thoughtful line.
    Response to Matt Murphy…
    I agree with your statement about representing death. Something dark would add a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  43. 1.In this passage Adam is very irritated and angry because first of all he does not get to name the animals and second of all Eve follows him everywhere he goes. Adam mirrors how he feels by leaving Eve and trying to cover up his tracks and even trying to push her out of shelter when it is raining but she just keeps coming back.
    2. If i was doing this monologue as an actor, i would probably make the scenery into a modern day park. this would obviously go with the theme presented towards the end of the monologue and plus it would be hilarious.
    3. Also, if i was performing this I would wear modern day gentlemens clothing. This clothing would go along with Adams snobby ridicule towards Eve and the naming of animals.
    4. I would also put a bench in the set where i would be sitting down and two signs. One thats old saying the garden of eden. and one new one saying niagara falls park.
    5. emotionally i would make alot of angry hand gestures and have a scowl on my face. the most important line would be "she engages herself in many foolish things" because this shows partly why im wearing what im wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  44. 1) I think Adam’s emotional state is that of irritation and disappointment. His life was going perfect until this new “creature” showed up. Now it talks all of the time and wants to name the animals with him. It bothers him and makes it where he can never be at peace. Even when he leaves to be by himself; she follows him. And no matter what he somehow always makes her shed water from where she looks out of. His feeling mirror and contradict what he is saying. He does really feel irritated, but he also mentions death which he has no idea what that entitles.
    2) I would set a very large river with many trees on its banks. I would make sure to have colorful fruit on each tree. I would display many animals all living together in harmony. I would show a waterfall somewhere falling from a large mountain. I would also show a lot of sunlight beaming down on the garden.
    3) I would have only leaves or some sort of vegetation covering me. It would leave most of me bare. The makeup would have to be quite simple. I would want to look like I was curious about everything and knew very little about it. My hair would be a little long to show that I do not know that I am supposed to cut it.
    4) There would be a little home or fort that I built on the stage. There would also be a large fire pit right in the middle of my camp. I would have made a small boat to travel the river with. I would also have a horse at my camp that I have trained to take me on rides throughout the garden.
    5) I would choose to be very emotionally curious about everything but at the same time be very irritated, even angry, with the new “creature that ruined my paradise. To me, the most important line in the monologue is when Adam says “she shed water out of the places she looks with”. This shows Adam’s lack of knowledge about crying while also showing how naïve he is about women.
    Response to Mr. Fleet, AKA, Monday Night Football.
    I like the idea of introducing the snake in the setting in order to have a sense of the evil, Biblical tone. This would, in a sense, be a foreshadowing within the setting because one would be aware that the biblical story will come into play eventually. Nice thought, you have quite the mind. Did you play high school basketball or something?

    ReplyDelete
  45. 1. I think Adam is kind of annoyed by the girl. She talks a lot, and Adam doesn't get much input about anything. He also seems mad at the woman because of the names she gives to the things in the Garden of Eden. Adam has many creative ideas for names to give things, but the girl keeps naming things.

    2. I would imagine that there would be many trees and a lot of grass. The green from the trees and grass would look great. There would probably be plants with vegetables on them and flowers. There could even be a small river, too.

    3. I would go with a very basic costume. It would probably be a costume that shows a lot of skin. The costume would also look a little dirty.

    4. There might could be bird nests in the trees and maybe some small animals. I also think there could possibly be a tree with many tasty-looking apples.

    5. I would probably be a little confused about the situation. I would also get pretty jealous of the girl. I think the most important line is the very first line. He is not sure what to think of the woman.

    In response to Shaun Ryan:
    I also agree that the first line is the most important.

    ReplyDelete
  46. in response to matt murphy.......
    i really like the idea of the kings outfit and crown for arrogance. good idea. i also like the signs to the whirlpool.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I believe Adam's emotional state is one of distress and confusion. He feels like he can't breath with this new "creature" following him around everywhere. In his head he is really tired of this woman always changing things he has alread come to establish as true. His words don't contradict the way he feels because he is saying what he feels.
    If i was on set the scenery I would want, would be trees, grass, rocks, and animal props. I would have a woman next to me staring at me the whole time as I recited my lines.
    I would have on a tunic with no shirts, some hemp sandals. I would have dirt all over my body and long hair.
    There would probaly be something on stage that symbolised God. There would be a woman up there watching my every move and acting things as I say them. Because that's what is in the text and what should be ons tage is what's in the text it would make sense.
    I would sound in distress and annoyed. The most important line is
    "as I understand, is called "death"; and death, as I have been told, has not yet entered the Park" because this shows us how little a concept of life and death Adam has. He thinks deat is a play thing but it is not.

    In Response to Nathan Allen:
    I agree that Adam is angry and frustrated because he has someone there telling him what to do, even though he's been doing it on his own in the past. I think the actor should also have anger in their performance it would make it seem believable.

    ReplyDelete
  48. 1. It seems that in this passage, Adam is genuinely angry with the woman. He doesn’t like it because the woman is changing all of his decisions, despite how he really feels about them. Adam seems to really be tired of the woman, and due to his dislike of her way of going about things, he leaves. He doesn’t understand that he is making the woman unhappy. He wants to be able to do things his way.
    2. In the scenery of this piece I would probably use many different signs, saying where to go for what and so on. I would have waterfalls painted on the background, since the woman renamed the land Niagara Falls Park.
    3. As a costume I would probably have like animal skins, because that was all they would have back at that time. Adam would probably have some sort of beard.
    4. Also on the stage would probably be the woman crying because of Adam leaving her, along with some animals that she had tamed. There would probably be a shelter that Adam was hiding in.
    5. The main emotional choice would most likely be his anger; the actor would have to act like he was completely pissed at the girl. The most important line in the passage would be about death where he says, “what, as I understand, is called "death"; and death, as I have been told, has not yet entered the Park. Which is a pity, on some accounts.” This is because he is showing what he really thinks about the woman, and what he would be willing to do to change her being there.

    In response to:Micah Fleet
    I agree that he would definitely like to be without the new creature even if it meant killing her.

    ReplyDelete
  49. In the passage Adam seems like he is trapt. He would like to escape this new creature with long hair(a women), but is unable to. It seems to me women have not change much since the day they were created. Even from the first day she had complete control of the relationship. She came in and did what she wanted, named the animals how she seemed fit, and would not give Adam a moment of pesce. He seems annoyed, invaded, and angry that someone could just come in an start naming the animals and changing his whole way of life.As an actor I imagine a magestic and beautiful set with lots of plants and tamed animals. The whole set would be full of happiness and light until the women came. After she arives the set would still be beautiful but in a more gloomy way. The mood would shift from happiness to more of an angry or frustration filled sence. As an actor i would like to be naked. I feel that thi would capture the mood best. Makewise maybe a little to give me a more musty or outdoors look.There would be many animals to show Adam naming all the animals.The most important line would be," The new creature names everything that comes along, before I can get in a protest". Because portrays the great deal of stress, unhappiness, and anger that she is placing on him.

    ReplyDelete
  50. To matt murphy and patrick knight
    i agree with patrick

    ReplyDelete
  51. 1. Adam is not happy at all with the new creature. He is confused and angry that it keeps following him around and it upsets him that he no longer gets to name the animals; the girl does. What's worse, she picks really good names. She tries to get her way in everything and destroy what Adam has built up and she cries when she doesn't like things. His words mirror how he feels.

    2. The scenery for this monologue should probably look like The Garden of Eden. Trees and green plants and plenty of water, maybe a waterfall because it has been renamed Niagara Falls Park. And a lot of animals. In the bible, the garden was a paradise so I think that the background should look like it.

    3. In the bible story, Adam ans Eve did not wear clothes. But people usually don't go on stage like that. I would probably wear one of those animal skin pants, or some kind of clothes made from leaves like it's always depicted in picture books. My choices are limited because they did not have much to choose from way back then. I would not wear any makeup. I would have a lot of hair because Adam probably didn't ever cut his.

    4. I think that to get the point across, the things that Adam is discussing would be on stage somewhere. Eve would definitely be there because that is the center of the monologue. She could be moving around in the background looking at animals and naming them. Or she could be crying like Adam said she did a lot. The shelter that he built could also be present. And the signs that he talks about, "Niagara Falls Park," "This Way to the Whirlpool," (etc...).

    5. The emotion that I would choose to portray is frustration and anger. Adam was doing just fine on his own. When the girl enters his life she just complicates things and gives him aggravation. He makes this clear and says nothing positive about her. The whole monologue is him complaining about the things that she does. I think that the most important line is: "My life is not as happy as it was." This wraps the whole monologue up in a nutshell. He was happy until Eve came along.

    Response to Ben Pratt:
    I agree with pretty much everything Ben says. Adam is definitely angry and upset because the girl is trying to change everything around. And the main emotion displayed is anger at the girl.

    ReplyDelete
  52. 1. In this passage, Adam seems quite frustrated at the creature who is more than likely implied to be Eve. Adam has essentially been given the freedom to make the world what he says it is, to give a name to everything as he sees fit. This would be quite a privilege if Eve was not so pesky in impulsively trying to classify everything that Adam was entitled to name. Adam's frustration is quite understandable, since his great honor of naming the world has been taken away all of a sudden by an incessantly whiny Eve.
    2. For a stage production of this scene, I can imagine numerous floral arrangements made to look less organized and more lush and primordial. Several types of rocks and stones could be used to add an extra element of the very beginning of creation, along with something to represent a spring or a river or a stream of some sort.
    3. In order to successfully create a costume for the character of Adam, I would probably use different elements of the scenery based on which part of the scene would be taking place at the time. This could also be used to symbolize the close connection between man and nature at the beginning of creation, essentially showing man and nature as one entity.
    4. Other actors or various props could be used to represent the various animals that would exist and be misnamed in the Garden of Eden. There could also be various desecrations to the garden itself, such as the many tourist signs set up by Eve or any other props that could symbolize this switch from sacred place to vacation destination.
    5. As an actor portraying Adam, I would have to show the frustration of Adam towards Eve because of her annoyance, but I would also have to express the sadness inside of Adam at the realization that his great honor of naming everything has been suddenly taken away from him by Eve. In my opinion, the most important line in the monologue is the very last line, where Adam reflects on the idea that it is a pity that death has not entered the park yet. This is important because it shows just to what degree Adam is frustrated at Eve.

    In response to Eric Cail:
    I can understand Adam feeling like he is trapped. It's quite interesting to feel trapped in a place considered paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  53. 1. This passage is a very different interpretation of the story of Adam and Eve. Adam seems to be very uneasy about the arrival of Eve and doesn’t want her anywhere near him. Twain tells us that he sees Eve simply as an annoyance he has to deal with. Now the story of creation however contradicts Twain’s interpretation. Twain being more of a realist showed what would be going through his own mind if he were Adam, however the Bible has always told us that Adam loved Eve.
    2. I would imagine trees and lots shrubbery. I would also imagine a water source of some kind. A very green set that was quite overgrown full of exotic looking plants and animals. A large great garden the stereotypical picture of the rainforest would probably fit best.
    3. There would be very little costume to consider. Very little clothing. My hair would probably have to be very long and unmanaged. I would probably have scraped and cut up from living in the wilderness. Clothing was unnecessary we are told in the Bible in the Garden of Eden so my costume would be very limited to just make up effects.
    4. I would have to show annoyance any time Eve was near me. Trying to avoid her at all possibilities. I would have to show anger when she entered a scene and disgust when she named a new creature. The most important line of this passage in my opinion is the last line. It shows the audience how much Adam truly doesn’t want to be with Eve. He even wishes death upon her which shows the ultimate for of hatred.


    Response to Andrew: I agree with Andrew on every one of his answers the set would definetely have to be very floral and like his idea of the nature playing into the costumes of the characters

    ReplyDelete
  54. 1.Adams emotional state would have to be jealousy in this passage.Adam is annoyed with the new creature and is bothered that the creature follows him around everywhere.It also names everything for him he cant name anything for himself.
    2.the scenery i would have for this theme would be an open field or prairie if you will and have the actor and this creature acting out the story.
    3.If i were an actor for this story i would ware overalls, a straw hat, and a corn cob pipe. I don't know why but that is what comes to my mind for this passage.
    4.The other props i would have on the stage would be giant paper mache trees all over like ones in the jungle kind of sorta.
    5.the emotional choice i would make would be angry towards the creature and jealousy towards the creature as well.

    Response to George R. Douglas III:i feel as if you dressed up like a homelss man and tried to act this passage out it would fit right in with the story.

    ReplyDelete
  55. 1. Adam tries to run away from Eve but it doesn't work because she tracks him down. He hates that she is there and that she names and renames everything he already did.
    2.There would be a lot of trees, a type of waterfall, maybe a few eddy pools, a lot of domestic and wild animals, and an annoying woman.
    3. I would be naked and only wearing a loincloth since that is close to the original account the Bible tells us was what happened. There would be nothing to hide since I haven't eaten the fruit yet.
    4. Other things on stage would include a waterfall, maybe Jesus sneaking around behind a scrim curtian, maybe the tree of knowledge of good and evil bearing it's sneaky fruits.
    5. The most important line in the monologue is this: When I tried to put it out it shed water out of the holes it looks with, and wiped it away with the back of its paws, and made a noise such as some of the other animals make when they are in distress. This shows that Adam may not have originally liked Eve or wanted her there, because he tried to put her out.

    RESPONSE TO S. MCGOWAN: I think your answer to number 5 is correct and a good description of the passage's emtotions.

    ReplyDelete
  56. 1) Adam is most likely confused in this passage. There is a new creature, but it is not like the others, and it is always following him. He is intrigued by it but it also gets just a little on his nerves. His words portray only the annoyed factor of his state of mind, not the confused.
    2) If I was the actor acting out this monologue, the scenery would include a cave, most likely, because Adam would at least try to write this in seclusion. There would be vines and trees outside the cave. There would be grass on the stage floor, and the lighting would have to be as if it was filtering down through the trees. There could be a sky of blue if the stage allows, with a few clouds.
    3) I would need some makeup darker than my current skin color, and my costume would probably be some stitched-looking plant material. It of course couldn't be animal skin because that would be as a result of death, duh. My hair would need to be longer, or at least a mess.
    4) There would most likely be some animals on the stage, but not really interacting with me, they would just be there, moving in the background. Some artificial rain would be nice, so that I would have to go inside the cave to avoid getting wet. I would have rain to show that it is outside without a doubt, and animals to show that it is the Garden of Eden. I would have to have some opposing animals together or something of that sort. At some point Eve could walk through and I would have to hide in the cave, maybe peering out as she walks past.
    5) Emotion wise, I would be just a little perturbed, and slightly confused. I would be thoughtful, but too much because I really haven't figured out what the heck this thing is yet. The most important line in this monologue would have to be "And always that same pretext is offered--it LOOKS like the thing. There is a dodo, for instance. Says the moment one looks at it one sees at a glance that it "looks like a dodo."" This line is important because it points out a major difference between the mind of a man and the mind of a woman. A man would just name something what it is, or what name came to him randomly at some point. A woman would name it almost the same way, but she has to add a reason for doing it, so she says it "looks" like the name.

    ReplyDelete
  57. response to D. Swatts.
    I do not aggree that Adam legitimately hates Eve as such, but he is definitely upset that she is there all the time.
    I like all the scenery you chose, it really captures the feel of Eden.
    That could be an important line, but I think that Adam didn't mind Eve being there at all, but he didn't just want her gone.

    ReplyDelete
  58. 1. Adam is confused to this completely new subject that has been formed from his own body. To realize that such a being could exist due to the power of supernatural forces is almost unbelievable and would scare me due to the sudden nature of the existence.
    2. I would have the stage set at a forest, trees, bushes, and have the upper part of the scene and maybe some of the ceiling painted to create the form of nature and everything that exists in a forest. I would have a few actors as animals and have extra sounds playing through the sound booth in the back.
    3. As a costume I would have, instead of that single flimsy leaf that Adam is portrayed with in almost every picture ever of him, a sort of skin color painted under armor suit that would give the impression that the actor wasn’t wearing anything but they really are not naked in front of a hundred or more people. The suit would have painted on it the single leaf that would make it easy to distinguish the suit as Adam’s costume.
    4. I would have other actors on stage as animals to help give the idea that it is in the Garden of Eden. I would have the sound booth producing several other animal noises and maybe the sound of one of the four rivers that supposedly pass through the garden.
    5. I would have the main actor be surprised and confused on the new sudden existing creature in his new land and he would be very curious to who it may be and why they look alike due to them being the first humans that ever existed according to the bible. He would have to be creative with his emotions and also he would have to act like nothing he has seen is the same as Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  59. 1.in this passage, adam seems to be very annoyed by the "other creature" because it seems to take away his freedom to do what he wants when he wants and how he wants to do it. Whenever adam gets away from the creature it follows him and begins to cry. This new creature seems to takeover the way adam does things, and he does not like that.
    2. As an actor, I could imagine green scenery behind me, trees, jungle like, animals of sorts. Also, there would be a grassy, plain area because they speak of lions and tigers. Also, adam speaks of a gardne of eden which implies fruit trees, plants, and abundances of other trees and wild animals.
    3. For my costume I would wear what I think adam would have worn during those days, which is a sort of cloth to cover the midsection. . 1.

    ReplyDelete
  60. For makeup, I would focus on looking as uncivilized as possible in the sense that my hair is messy, I am kind of dirty, and I look like someone who is the only person of his kind.
    4.

    ReplyDelete
  61. 1.) Adams emotional state is definately one of distress he feels like he is being intruded on. In his head he find the new "creature" he is with is not necessary at all. Adam's words do not at all mirror his thoughts instead he keeps what he feels to hisself.
    2.)The stage would be a wooded area with lots of scrubberry and it would have animals as apart of the scenery. and signs of things that the "creature" or woman has named.
    3.)As the actor in this monologue i would have a loin cloth on most likely and and some type of sandal.
    4.) Thier would also be sings on the stage indicating what the woman has named. The would be things indicating That they were at niagra falls park.
    5.)As an actor i would really try to show Adam's frustration with the woman. The most important line to line monologue would be Adam trying to explain to the woman his thought and opinions about the names and why he tryed to get away from her.

    ReplyDelete
  62. 1. Adam is confused and annoyed by the situation with Eve. She seems to be doing his job that God gave him which was to name all the animals and since Eve seems to be doing the same thing he's wondering why this other animal is doing his job.

    2.If i was the actor in the play i would imagine that there were lots of trees, animals, and mainly just nature. I also would imagine that there were different sets on stage for example a few trees in one area but in another there was a cave for another scene and if God were to speak to Adam and Eve then there would be some sort of light that shines down to represent that.

    3. If i were the actor i would have some sort of either neatly cut or shaggy hair. I also would most likely be almost naked so i would probably be wearing some sort of loin cloth. I also could have makes all over me to represent dirt or splotches to make me look dirty.

    4. What also would be on stage are props to represent animals or tools. There also could be a tree with a snake in it to represent the forbidden tree. There also could be the essentials like lights and maybe even a narrator.

    5. If i was an actor and wanted to represent Adam I would portray myself as a male who was given a task by God so in a way I would act high & mighty but still humble. With Eve I would show confusion mixed with being stand-offish to her trying to be away from her as much as possible. Although I would show slight interest in her because of who and what she is along with what she is doing.

    In Response to Lyndell Re'nard Mitchell 2:
    Your idea of what the scene would look like is much like mine and I agree with the idea. I also agree that Adam is being "intruded" on by Eve and that is the main reason he feels confused and annoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  63. 1. Adam in this passage is acting very weary. He acts as if there is something in his head. He has no control over what is going on in his head. I have no clue what is in is head I think he is going crazy. His emotions I think mirror how he is feeling. He keeps talking about how he is going crazy because of the new creature that is bugging him. And he really never says anything that would contradict what he is saying.
    2. I would see myself in a large garden looking area with some beautiful scenery, but then on the other side of the stage it would be a dark and gloomy shadow part. That is really the only thing I can think of doing for it.
    3. I would be wearing little garments and not much of anything else. I would probably have some pale make up on and dark circles under my eyes because the creature has been keeping me up lately. I think that would give off the sense you’re tired and haven’t been able to sleep in days.
    4. I think like a little small evil looking creature could be on stage just saying random things and following me around the whole time and never leaving me alone. The creature could look like smeagles from the Lord of the Rings.
    5. I think I would give off the emotion as annoyed and about to kill the little creature so it will finally leave me alone. I think the most important part of the monologue is “ My life is not as happy as it was. She has littered the whole estate with execrable names and offensive signs: THIS WAY TO THE WHIRLPOOL; THIS WAY TO GOAT ISLAND; CAVE OF THE WINDS THIS WAY”. This shows how annoyed and messed up the woman has made his life.

    ReplyDelete
  64. 1) Adam feels very sad and stressed in the passage. He thinks there's a new creature that has arrived and stressed him out to the maximum who takes all of Adam's ideas. Adam's words mirror the fact that he was jealous and stressed by the new creature.
    2) If I were performing this monologue, there'd probably be a forest or woods of some sort containing trees in the background.
    3) If I were an actor performing the monologue, I'd be wearing a tarzan suit and face paint. It'd just match something similar to caveman days.
    4) There would also be a God or prophet of some sort to enhance the power of the way Adam is talking about a new species.
    5) I would portray the emotion of anger to promote the scene of me being upset with the new creature.Line 2 portrays the overall conflict of the story making it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Response to Sean Denley:
    1) Very true in which Adam is frustrated by Eve.
    2) It makes sense since this is the setting on the foundation of the beginning of time which definitely involves nature.
    3) I agree in that he couldn't he look sophisticated because he was a simple man
    4) Props would make the play very interesting
    5) Very good way to make it surreal

    ReplyDelete
  66. Kevin J. Murphy Response to Blog 7
    1)Adam seems, to me, to be angry that this other creature which is similar to him is taking over his job, which was naming things, he also seems confused as to why she is studying the animals, re-naming the garden, and also why she is following him around and constantly taking up his space.
    2)If I was an actor and I was preforming this stage I would have several different things set up around me. I would have the signs she created set up on a little crossroads, then I would have animals in the background while I was in a shelter. I would also have a waterfall and caves to one side of me and to the other there would be woods and the other creature would be hiding behind a tree listening to what I was saying, if I was speaking, and if not listing she would just be spying on me. If I was speaking she would be crying about halfway through the monologue.
    3)If I was preforming this my costume would be a little out there since I am supposed to be impersonating Adam. I would be in a shelter I would be dirty but not extremely I should be darker than a white male usually is. I should have something covering my crotch area but otherwise be naked.
    4)There should be animals on stage. Rocks, trees, a waterfall, it should look like there is a lot of land surrounding you.
    5)I would try to look frustrated and irritated that some random creature had invaded my home and has started to annoy me. The most important line of the monologue is when Adam says “She engages herself in many foolish things” this is where Adam blatantly points out to the reader or listener, that he thinks she is doing some stupid and pointless things.
    Kevin J. Murphy response to Mario
    I have to agree with you Mario when you describe the scenery that would exist behind you during your monolgue.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Andrew Turner
    1,. Well I think Adam was really mad that he could not name the animals and he was like just someone that no one cares about. He is just like just because the animals are coming in he is not that happy. Yes the words he said is not that good.
    2. Well I would have to put me in the middle of a grassy field with a tree with animals all around me.
    3,. I would be a old man in a rob with a wood stick and he would get really depressed and the animals would walk passed him.
    4. I would put a path that I would walk down after I was done with the play and then some more trees that were dead and had a grayish look to them.
    5 .he would just be say and happy. He would be happy when he saw the animals but sad that he could not name them and when the animals would over take him

    ReplyDelete
  68. Adam seems irritated that he is not being able to do his job which was name the animals and other creations.

    If I was the actor, I would set up a scenery with a garden and animals all over the place surroundiing me. The lighting would be dim so that it looks as if the morning has just started.

    I would wear as few articles of clothing as possible to make it more realistic towards how it was in the Bible.

    Also I would have a background that shows trees, fruits, and waters flowing everywhere to make it seem like you are really there.

    If i was portraying Adam, I would try to make myself sound dominant and manly to show Eve that I make the rules.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.