A place where Education and Theatrical Arts merge with Student Thought to foster greater understanding of the World of Acting.
THE RULES of THIS BLOG SITE
Any response that uses inappropriate language, content, or anything else that Mr. Williams would deem offensive will receive an automatic grade of "0" with no hope for resubmitting the post. You are expected to respond in a mature and Godly fashion. Content can talk about topical things (drugs, drinking, relationships, family, sex, God, emotions, etc.), but the delivery of the information should be in such a manner that well represents yourself, your parents and family, CBHS, Mr. Williams, and most importantly, God. I really look forward to your posts. -- Mr. Williams
October 26, 2010
Acting I Blog 10
DUE WEDNESDAY 10/27/10 BY 9:00 AM! For directions, please visit BLOG10 at the CBHS Theatrical & Choral Academic Activities website. I look forward to your posts!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It is hard to say what the most memorable moment is that I have witnessed on stage. Because I have been a play and musical aficionado for so many years, there are so many productions that come to mind when I think of great and memorable stage performances. Ever since I was a young child I have liked the musicals, because it brings together two wonderful aspects, music and the theater. I have seen many productions in my time. Ever since I was a wee little kid, I have always liked the movie Annie. It was one of my favorites; I watched the movie almost every day. So naturally when the play cam to the Orpheum, then I was very excited, to say the least. I went and saw the production and was blown away. The intricacy of the costumes and the set was amazing. The fact that almost all of the actors were children was great, because they did a wonderful job. I t was very good, better than the movie. It made me feel as if I were really living in that time and was part of the musical. Also the fact that the musical has a great message is wonderful too. It tells the tale of a little girl that has not known her parents. She grows up in an orphanage and is really mistreated. But she finds Daddy Warbanks that adopts and loves her and gives her a happy home. This shows that there is still hope.
ReplyDeletePersonally, the best moment in any movie or stage performance was when Rudy in the film "Rudy" ran out onto the field at Notre Dame, with the band playing the school's fight song. The particular scene is full of emotions, especially joy and pride. It serves as the climax of the movie's plot, and sums up Rudy's objective - to be able to consider himself part of the Fighting Irish football team after working tirelessly and persevering just to wear the gold helmet one time. I teared up the first time I saw this scene. Not only did it mean a lot to me as a Notre Dame fan, but it also taught me important lessons about perseverance and hard work. To me, it teaches us that no matter how lofty our dreams are, we can reach them through our efforts.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Lauck: Favorite movies are always a bit better when you see them on stage. I remember often watching The Lion King as a young child then being blown away by the stage version.
The best acting performance I have seen in a movie would probably be the last major scene in Scarface. In this scene, the main character Tony is full of mixed emotions that are all expressed excellently. He is sad due to the death of his best friend and he is mad due to the hit squad sent to kill him. The character of Tony is a man who does not like to be messed with. He is a man with a short temper. Many people would say that he does have some anger management issues. At this time in the movie Tony had worked extremely hard to get where he was and he was about to loose it all. He had already disconnected himself from his family and he had lost his best friend. The thing that truly inspired me about this scene was the fight he put up. There was absolutely no chance Tony could have made it out of that mansion alive. Yet he kept on fighting, he took down as many people as he possibly could. He never gave up the fight. Eventually he did fall, but even so, the dedication and commitment still inspires me.
ReplyDeleteRESPONSE TO LINDEMANN
ReplyDeleteYeah I know exactly what you are talking about. When I saw Rudy I felt the same way, it was really inspirational.
When I was reading this post I immediatly knew what I was going to pick and it is the final scene in Braveheart. I just watched this movie a few days ago and so the scene is fresh on my mind. This scene is set up throughout the entire movie. Once Mel Gibson is brought out to the torturing stage the scene is set. On one hand you have the tyrant king who is about to die and the freedom fighter Mel Gibson who is about to die. The king is sitting in bed coughing and getting pleasure hearing the townspeople yell at Mel. Mel is taking all the pain that they are giving him and he still will not apoligize to the king. They do unforgivable things to him. They tie him to a horse and stretch him, cut off his nuts, and cut open his stomach. Throughout all this he gains the sympathy of the townspeople. The props are good and the person torturing him makes you feel uncomfortable just looking at him. Finally at the end Mel Gibson gathers all the strength that he has and yells freedom for everyone to hear, even the king. Every time I watch this scene I get goose bumps. Then the last bit of breath goes out of him and he dies. The king also dies and is angry. In real life the king died a few months later.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Zakk:
I also enjoy the last scene from scarface. I have seen it many times. Tony Montana is high as anyone can be and has a huge gun. People are breaking into his house trying to kill him. He does not like that and ends up basicly killing himself by walking into gun fire.
Although I have watched my fair share of movies, I have not had the chance to watch many plays or musicals. Since I have not seen many plays I guess I will have to make my decision by looking back at the movies I have watched. It is very hard to just pick one movie that I think deserves this prestige, but I would have to go with an older movie about an Indiana basketball team. I am sure most people have seen this movie. It is called Hoosiers. This movie is one of the best movies, in my opinion, of all-time. I would say this because it involves many different aspects of life. A sport, a family, a man who has screwed up in the past and is trying to redeem himself, and most importantly an underdog are involved in this story. I also think that the cast in this movie make it even better. I would say that the main theme is, like many other sports movies, that anybody can succeed in the world of sports.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Zakk Torpoco:
I agree with you that Scarface is a very good movie and the storyline is epic. I think it is one of the best movies of all-time. The last scene is very well thought out and makes the movie much better.
The best performance that I have seen in a movie would be Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight. Heath Ledger played the part of the Joker so well that I had no clue who the actor was at first. The crazy like voice Heath Ledger used while acting as the Joker was perfect. Heath Ledger scared the hell out of me while acting as the Joker in the Dark Knight. The scene in the Dark Knight that surprised me was when the Joker says he wants to make the pencil disappear. He slams the guys head into the pencil and then the Joker says " Its gone!" There is no actor out there in the United States of America that could have put on a better performance than Heath Ledger did while playing the Joker in the movie The Dark Knight. The Joker is the main reason why the Dark Knight is such a great movie in the first place. Plus he won an Oscar Award at the 2009 Academy Awards. I think that it is very sad that Heath Ledger died recently after The Dark Knight was in theaters because Heath Ledger overdosed on some kind of medicine.
ReplyDeleteResponse to George Douglas: I have to say that Braveheart is one of my favorite movies that I have seen. The scene when Mel Gibson is tortured to death is sad but also performed well.
I think one the best acting performances was Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump. He plays the role perfectly. He plays awkwardly stupid man who ends up succeding in life. Hanks is a bigger than life character in that movie, and that is what Mr. Williams says we need to be on stage. I think the best scene in the movie is when Forrest lets his son on the bus after his wife died. Then he watches the feather float away. It is a perfect metaphor for life, we just float like a feather. Tom Hanks led the audience to believe that he had all the answers to life, even though he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. That takes a lot of talent. People want to believe that Forrest Gump was a real person, and Tom Hanks shows them that world.
ReplyDeleteRESPONSE to George Douglas:
Braveheart was a pretty cool movie. Mel is is pretty tough at the end and takes the torture. It sent chills through my spine too.
The best acting performance I have seen would probably have to be Billy Bob Thorton in SLing Blade. He knows how to portray a kind of slow person. He talks and walks and even does small things in the movie that make his character so much more believing. I think that is one of t5he best movies he has ever done. At the end of the movie when he kills the womans boyfriend because he beats her and the little boy is my favorite seen even though he knows he will go striaght back to the mental hospital he is fine with that as long as the woman and her little boy are safe. That was the only way they would ever be safe is if he killed the boyfriend.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Mitchell Sexton:
I agree with you 100% Tom Hanks plays an amazing part in Forest Gump. The first time i ever say it I thought it was a documentary on someones life.
I think the best acting performance I have ever seen would probably have to be Billy Bob Thorton in Sling Blade. He portrays the kind of slow guy perfectly. He does all the big things that any actor could do, but the way he acts the very smallest details of a slow minded person is unbelievable. He does everything right. He followed the saying it's the small things that matter. My favorite part of the movie is when he kills the womans boyfriend because he is beating her and her son. He asks the boyfriend right before he kills him how to dial the police right before he kills him. He know the only way the woman and her son would ever be safe and happy was if he killed the abusive boyfriend. He knew he would go back to the mental hospital for the rest of his life, but he did not care because he knew what had to be done.
ReplyDeleteIn Response to MItchell Sexton:
I agree with you a 11% percent TOm Hanks plays the perfect role for Forrest Gump. The first time I ever say the movie I thought it was a documentary on someones whole life.
The most memorable scene in a movie to me was Samuel L.Jackson's recital of verses from the bible. What makes the moment so great is the irony it presents, he is reciting something that is supposed to give life not take it away. He takes the quote and turns it around into something totally different. I think he is say he will lead the weak through the balley of darkness because the weak are those who have wronged his boss Marcellus. He also quotes "the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of selfish and evil men" I think he is saying that the men that he is sent to kill are evil and selfish for not obeying Marcellus. When he says he will "strike down upon those great venegance and furious anger" he is meaning to kill the person he says it too. Again these are words that are supposed to give life unto the righteous, but Samuel or Jules in the movie is the righteous and the sinner is the betrayer of Marcellus. The other aspects of this quote that makes is great isthe setting in which he says it in. A slightly dim apartment room, a man sitting down in a chair whimpering before Jules like he is God. I think Tarantino was trying to givethe impressions that Samuel was a form of a God in human form.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Nathan Tarver: I agree with the redemption of a man through turning his life around. In my movie Pulp Fiction there is no turning your life around when Samuel and John come after you. It's a done deal.
I would have to say that the best acting performance I have seen is the D-Day scene in Saving Private Ryan. Its not so much as a great scene of acting except for the character of Captain John Miller played by Tom Hanks. Through him, you get a pretty heavy insight into the life of a soldier and the hell it really is to be one. When the gunshots drown out and the scene slows down, its pretty ominous combined with the pictures of soldiers being killed. The acting does play a large part in this scene though. Tom Hanks' character is giving out orders and overcoming his anxiety to pull off a great victory over the Germans and you feel like you're actually on the battlefield from the great sense of urgency and honor displayed by the other actors. I think Tom Hanks played a great role in this movie but in that scene especially. It really makes you respect and honor American soldiers even more. This scene, running about 20 minutes, has a lot of themes that we have talked about in class. For example, the use of foreshadowing, camera lenses, and eerie music to set for a foreboding scene, and the juxtaposition of different events occuring at the same time.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Brock Gaines:
ReplyDeleteYea, I think Billy Bob Thornton plays Randy really well in Sling Blade and I agree he has the slow guy impersonation down
When I saw this topic, I automatically knew what I was going to pick. It comes from the movie 300. It is when King Leonidas is killed. He is calling out his last words to his wife Queen Gorgo. There is alot of fighting scenes and this one stands out to me the most because of the importance of it. It was at the end and when King Leonidas went into battle, and then the screen was overcome with arrows and then the next scene was his wife's sad face. He does such a good job with the facial expressions and movements with his hands, because we all know in real life that he is not really killed. It takes alot of talent to be able to do that even though it isn't really happening. He truly exemplifies the fact that an actor, in order to be successful, needs to become one with the role of the character he is portraying. It is not going to seem very real if the actor does not portray the character really well, and that is exactly what King Leonidas did. Mr. Williams always told us to become one with the character we are portraying and that we need to make the hand motions and any other movements or expressions very precisely in order for the audience to enjoy the show and actually understand what we are doing.
ReplyDeleteRESPONSE TO MERRIT JACKS:
I agree with you that Heath Ledger was the perfect one to portray the role of the Joker in the Dark Knight and I agree with you that the joker is one of the main reasons that the Dark Knight is such a good movie.
I think that I have seen many great examples of fine art in movies and stage performances but one sticks out to me the most. I think my favorite performance is by Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump. He is one of my most favorite actors and he also performed really well in The Da Vinci Code, Saving Private Ryan, and Cast Away. I think that his performance in Forrest Gump is not only brilliant, but extremely convincing. I think that many movies have come close to taking the place as my favorite movie but Forrest Gump is still my favorite. Tom Hanks played his part perfectly; from the very beginning of the movie I was impressed. I think one of many favorite parts of the movie is when he runs across the country and gathers like 100 followers that just start running behind him. I also think it is really impressive how he acts so well and is incorporated in so many historic events in the movie. The main reason that I think that Tom Hank’s performance in the movie is so good is because of how absolutely convincing the movie was. I think that it is a great movie and great performance by Tom.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Brock Gaines:
Yea, I agree with you on how well Bill Bob Thorton plays the part of the slow guy. He really does act like a slow person does and it is pretty convincing, but I wouldn’t say that it is the best performance by him.
My personal opinion about the best acting performance was a hard one to choose from. There are so many good scenes, but one that really stands out to me is in the movie "Titanic", when Cal and Ruth are in the freezing Atlantic water, and Cal keeps her up with a float and his help. That really stood out as one of the best scenes in the whole movie. I think that this scene makes the movie great because everyone else on the boat is being selfish and thinking about themselves. It is also based on a true story, which makes it very inspirational.
ReplyDeleteresponse to Tyler Pelts: I can totally agree that Forrest Gump is a great character to pick and it is very inspirational. I also agree with everything else you say.
ReplyDeleteWhen I first saw the topic, I had to think of which performance I was going to do. I was going to choose from the actor who plays Timo Cruz in Coach Carter, Adam Sandler in Reign Over Me, or Johnny Depp in Blow. I decided to choose the performance Adam Sandler did in Reign Over me. When I think of a work done by Adam Sandler, I think of some comical or not very serious. This was the exact opposite in this movie. I have never seen Adam Sandler act like this before. This movie was made to show how families were effected by the attack on New York on 9/11. Adam Sandler showed so much passion in this movies, it gave a normal person like me the feeling of losing someone in 9/11. Adam Sandler was able to change his emotion from happy to sad in the blink of an eye. No one in America could do a better job in this movie than what Sandler did.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Matt Murphy
The scene where Leonidas dies is one of the best scenes I have ever scen also. He shows so much passion in this scene, and that what makes the scene. The facial expression couldn't of be done any better and you mentioned that.
When I saw this topic I knew it was going to be a little harder than others because I have seen many great acting performances. It is hard to pick out one but I would have to say my favorite would be Denzel Washington in Remeber the Titans. Remember the Titans is one of the greatest movies I have ever seen. No one could play the role better than he did. It was based during the time of discrimination of blacks. Washington shows courage, strength, and power to overcome anything that stands in his way of succeeding. One of the best scences in the movie is when the entire team is running through the woods and they come to the site of The Fight at Gettysburg and he gives a wonderful speech to the team. Denzel Washington is an amazing actor and he made this movie amazing by his performance.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Tyler Pelts: I also agree that Forrest Gump was an amazing story and greatly played by tom hanks
Well my response to this blog has to do with the CBHS Brothers on Stage. The thing I witnessed that struck me and amazing was William Bowling acting. I didn’t know that he could act like that he surprised me big time. I didn’t know he could act. Anyways he showed me that anybody can act it doesn’t take a professional. The thing that made it great was that he was really good and it was shocking because looking at him you couldn’t even tell that he acted or would ever act. That moment right there when I saw him first on stage I was like WOW I can’t believe he is up here acting. When I saw him I was like I should get up there and act. It told me that if he could I could and I was so surprised with the way he acted and did his part in the play. I look at him and don’t even see that out of him I see a kid that sits at home and studies and pays attention in class no offense. But he is a really good actor and a really good guy and if I ever need help with homework or to talk to about politics this is who I would go to get the help or talk to.
ReplyDeleteTo Andrew linderman: I agree with you on the Rudy thing it is a really good movie and its really moving to people. Shows hard work and dedication.
ReplyDeleteThere are many acting moments that I would consider worthy of high praise. I think, for example, any Tom Hanks movie is sure to have superb acting in it. I would also say that Mel Gibson has two stellar performances in The Patriot and We Were Soldiers. But I would have to say that the most impressive acting performance I have ever witnessed would be Heath Ledger as the Joker in the Dark Night. This character, although very dark and evil, captures the attention of his audience instantly. He messes with the viewer’s mind. He wants Batman to try to kill him because he knows this is the hero’s only rule; he refused to kill. He does whatever it takes to make Batman hurt him. But the more Batman hurts him, the more the Joker laughs and mocks the hero. This is sort of like an act of reverse psychology. Also it is Ledger’s body movement that helps make him so convincing. Particularly the way he walks displays his craziness. Another thing that can make an actor more “believable” is his facial expressions. No character uses this tool more than the Ledger as the Joker. Throughout the movie, Ledger licks his lips for no apparent reason. He seems to lick the lipstick that has sunk into his scars. His voice is another tool that he uses. Within this voice is a laugh that can send chills through the spine. It is an evil laugh.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Matt Murphy
I agree that king Leonidas had a great acting scene when he is dying. He is able to capture the audience belief. The audience is willing to suspend belief and believe that he is really dying.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThe shower scene in Alfred Hitchcock’s “Psycho” is one of the most memorable acting moments in the history of film making. The scene had the suspense and the terror for a memorable moment. A violin creates the music and it creates the intensity in the scene. A woman, named Marion Crane, hops into the shower and eventually is murdered by Norman Bates. Norman Bates used a knife to kill her. Marion screams constantly and is in severe pain from the beginning. After Norman Bates stabbed her, Marion lean against the wall and slowly fell to the bottom of the shower. She grabs on to the curtain and she pulls it off. The blood travels through the drain. The camera zooms in on the blood spinning down the drain. Then the camera zooms in on Marion’s eye and then the audience sees her dead body. The water continues to poor on her and the scene ends in horrifying fashion.
ReplyDeleteThe flashes of skin, the knife, screams, and the screeching violins make people nervous to take showers by themselves alone at their homes to this day. When people think of memorable moments in cinema, this has to be one of the moments at the top. The scene has terror and this was the beginning of the scary scenes in movies today. The actress was taking a shower and out of nowhere, she is murdered and the music is the key piece that makes this scene unforgettable. The art of the scene is based on the woman’s facial expressions. Immediately, the woman screams and her face is in complete shock. When the woman hears the curtain open, she turns around and screams. Her face will always be remembered and she is the face of horrifying moments in cinema history.
In Acting class, I can relate this moment to the class. The woman reacts to a man killing her with terror and shock. This scene could be a perfect improv scene or even a pantomime. Although this scene has not been acted out in class, the scene is very critical to an actor trying to act afraid. In this class, I have learned to go on the stage and use all of my energy to act out a good scene. Energy is a very important factor into being a successful actor and I’ve done a good job with that. The woman has a lot of energy and she slowly falls to her death in the shower. When I was acting as if a cop was chasing
me, I used a lot of energy and made a siren noise. Then the cop crashed into me and I was in pain just like the woman from “Psycho”. I have used energy and dedication in this class and the woman shows this in the scene.
Response to Corbin Carter:
ReplyDeleteThe last scene in the Titanic when the ship crashed was a very powerful scene. Leonardo DiCaprio was outstanding and he saved Kate Winslets' life. That was a memorable moment in cinema history and it will always be remembered.
Stage performance and acting have been a major component to the development of modern American art since the late 1800’s. Throughout the years theaters across the nation and predominately on Broadway have produced unforgettable theatrical performances. With little experience with acting and theater it’s hard for me to pick the most memorable acting experience I have ever witnessed. If I had to choose one however, it would without a doubt be when I saw the musical Wicked on Broadway in New York. I went into the Wicked not expecting much and a little disappointed I was forced to be there. I came out completely surprised and thankful I got the opportunity to witness such a performance. Everything about the musical was spot on and perfect. The set was incredibly creative, the music set the mood, the singing was great, and the acting was without a doubt incredible. Each actor portrayed his or her character so perfectly you began to believe that you were watching an alternate reality of fact not an artificial story of fiction. The play was so engaging with the audience. It was as if you were watching a fantasy novel being reenacted in life. Acting will always be its best at its major origins and Broadway will always be a center of acting and performing for the entire world
ReplyDeleteResponse to Browning: I can see why the shower scene in Psycho stood out to Browning so much. Psycho is the original true horror film and it will always be a symbol for good acting.
Denzel Washington's performance in "Jonh Q" is one of the most motivational and inspiring performances I've ever seen. The performance is so great because he fights for whats right. this movie is jam packed with pride and joy. Denzel even goes to extreme measures to do whatever to help his family.He plans to give his own life in order for his son to live a happy and fulfilled life. He was essentially a hero in this story he encouraged others throughout the movie. The performance gets the viewer not only physically but also emotionally intact. This type of movie would be A drama in a play form.
ReplyDeleteResponse to matt Murphy: that was a great scene that I had forgotten about but i agree with you 100%. This scene was not only inspiring but also sad due to the fall of a soldier in battle.
ReplyDeleteFor me, the best acting performance I've ever witnessed was in the movie 3:10 to Yuma starring Russell Crowe. Moreover, the most fascinating moment I've ever witnessed in acting was at the end of the movie. In the end of the movie, Crowe playing Ben Wade has arrived at the train station to be sent off to prison for murder in which he was a true western cowboy brought by a group of a few men on a journey. When he arrives there, the man who had gotten him there safely simply doing by his orders was killed by his cowboy buddy. At that point, Wade instantly kills him because he made a bond with the man who got him there knowing he would escape prison once he arrived there after the train station. He does this out of sheer anger towards killing an honorable man for no purpose even if it meant killing one of his own men in his gang. That to me was the most intense and blind-sided moment I've ever witnessed in acting.
ReplyDeleteIn that moment, Crowe's action is done through anger and revenge. This scene is very emotional, especially for Crowe as well as the audience. Crowe displays no verbal justification for his actions; however, the movie's events display the justification for Crowe killing his fellow cowboy gang member without words.
reaction to Hunter Shipley:
ReplyDeleteI agree in that Ledger's performance in the Dark Night was incredible. I saw the movie and all the things Hunter described portray his acting to make him very convincing to be mentally ill and psychotic.
When I think of great acting, the movie "Braveheart" comes to my mind. This movie is about the Scottish people trying to fight to gain independence from an oppressive England. Just by that, you can tell it makes for a good movie. But Braveheart turned out a great one. For good reason. All throughout this film, there is incredible acting, especially by the main character played by Mel Gibson (William Wallace). A good amount of the movie is fight scenes, which are very well done--very convincing and realistic compared to some other movies that I've seen. But the film has just about everything else too. I've seen Mel Gibson in a lot of other movies so I already knew that he was a great actor before I watched Braveheart. I also knew what his natural voice sounded like. For this production, he had to use a Scottish accent. If I hadn't seen him act before, it could just as well have been his actual voice; it was flawless. And when he uses it to say lines like: "Every man dies, not every man really lives," and, "We all end up dead, it's just a question of how and why," it makes all the more brilliant. His intense facial expressions are also well done. It is easy to tell his emotions: anger, happiness, sadness, (etc...). Especially in the scene where William Wallace is tortured and killed. It is clear that he died an excruciatingly painful death. This scene is very well done. But it is not just the lead actor who does a good job, everyone else is really good too. There is not a trace of bad acting, or shortcomings in the script in the whole movie. All the costumes are really good too. All the Scots wear those kilts like they did back then (and sometimes still do today) and it was all true to the setting, which was, for the most part, Scotland. Everything was done just the way it would have happened at the time. One of the best movies ever made.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Nathan Tarver:
A agree. Hoosiers is one of the best movies I've ever seen. And the acting in it is very well done, especially by the main character. The storyline is also good.
The Best acting moments I have ever seen on stage was during the production of Sweeny Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street. The reason that I say that it had some of the best acting moments is because it is something that I have never seen before on stage. When you think of blood and gore you think of war movies not plays. I though the best part was when they acted out cooking and eating the people he would slaughter. To me I think it is incredible how they could do this on stage and get away with it. The next best moment I have ever seen was during the movie Saving Private Ryan when they are loading onto the beaches of Normandy. It is so raw and it is so savage that it makes you hurt on the inside because you actually for the first time get a glimpse of what was is really like and how absolutely terrifying it is. It really opened my eyes and made me realize that war is not just fun and games, it is a terrifying experience and the actors could not have acted it out any better than the way that they did.
ReplyDeleteIn response to kj:
ReplyDeleteI completly agree that Denzel Washington's performance in "Jonh Q" is one of the most motivational and inspiring performances I've ever seen. It really shook me up but it made me realize what a good actor he really is.
My favorite acting performance is from Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting. It's one of my favorite movies of all time simply because he is the main character. St the time, Damon was a new actor, nobody knew who he really was. He wrote this amazing script and pitched it to a director as long as he could play the main role. I like this role because it shows how much range of emotion and control an actor has to have. In many scenes, Damon is happy and joking, then brooding in moody, before finally collapsing into anger. Love comes into play with his major interest along with themes of what should be really important to us in the world. I like movies and acting that speaks to its audience and Damon's performance did that to me.
ReplyDeleteRESPONSE TO Mr. Shipley:
Wow, I didn't even think of including Heath Ledger in my discussion of great performances, but I'm glad you did. His performance in The Dark Knight was signature of his other work, dedicated, proifessional, and completely convincing. It's hard to play someone clinically insane and violent and make it seem real, but there were times in that movie where I genuinely asked myself if he really believed what he was saying. Great pick, Josiah.
Ironically enough, I have to agree with the Micah Fleet in the comment directly above me. My favorite acting performance of all time is easily Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting. When the movie came out, Damon did not have much experience and was not that well known. But after the movie was a different story. This performance catapulted him as a name in Hollywood.
ReplyDeleteIn the movie, he allows the viewer to understand how feels and go through what he is going through. The wonders of his mind, the hardships of love, and the friendships he had are played out on the screen wondrously. He could take on many personas. He could joke around in the bar; he could be tough in the street fight; he could be intelligent, well, throughout the entire movie; and most of all he could be sad in Robin Williams' arms. Those are many different feelings that he was able to display accurately in a matter of hours. He made a connection with me as a viewer. I was able to feel his pain and relief at the end when he was crying in Williams' arms.
In response to Corbin Carter Cal tried to kill Ruth. Jack was the one who gave up his life for Ruth.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite acting performance of all time would have to be Chris Tucker in the movie, Rush Hour 3. This certain role is very influential because Chris Tucker is able to single-handedly turn a movie into a comedy. A lot of how Chris Tucker acts is not written in the script; what he has is intangible. Only a number of people are able to bring something to the table that defines them as an actor. It comes from many different aspects: his voice, physical features, demeanor, the way he reacts to things, all are part of what makes Chris Tucker a comedic actor. Chris Tucker is able to make a horror into a comedy, a tragedy into a joke, and for that I believe that Chris Tucker's role in Rush Hour 3 is the most memorable acting performance.
ReplyDeleteRESPONSE TO GRANT RICOSSA: I agree that Matt Damon was great in Good WIll Hunting
I think the greatest acting performances were performed by Ray Liotta, Robert DeNiro, and Joe pesci. They played each of their charactors so well it was easy for one to believe that they were real. Also since it was based on a true story it is easier for the audience to relate to. There performances were not inspiring to me but i do believe that their performances heled to make to movie one of th greatest movies of all time.
ReplyDeleteThough it is really hard to narrow it down because there are a lot of good movies out there. My favorite movie with the best acting I've seen in any movie would have to be Saving Private Ryan. Many critics say that the movie is just a way to show gratuitous violence, but to me it is much more than just that. This movie really accounts for the physical and mental toll that war has on a person. When you watch as Tom Hanks slowly begins to fall apart because his body can no longer Handle the stress and horrors of war. It makes you think about the millions of young soldiers that died during WWII risking there lives to promote the idea of freedom. To me Saving Private Ryan gives a close up look on how the American soldiers were people just like us with families and friends they left to fight for a cause not there own.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Mario Gagliano:
ReplyDeleteI agree with Mario that Chris Tucker did a great job to turn a somewhat serious movie into a histaracle comedy. By doingthis he made te movie much better than I thought it would be.
One of the best acting moments I have ever witnessed was in the movie Defiance. Tuvia Bielski, de facto leader of the Bielski Otriad, was challenged by one of his fighters regarding leadership. The scene focuses on his weakness and the fact that he has been sick for quite some time has made him incapable of leading the partisans. Tuvia turns away as if defeated, the citizens he has led so faithfully shocked at his sudden giving in. That isn’t the case, however. Suddenly, he turns back around and shoots his challenger without a single qualm. In this single moment, he demonstrates to the entire partisan group that he will not take a challenge lightly and that the powers of being a leader has not corrupted him like the rumors have said. As another act of scorn, he tells them to take the traitor’s body out and leave it for the wolves. Tuvia establishes that he is the head of the group for a reason, and that making difficult decisions is not something the others should take for granted from him. The reason why I find this scene so appealing is the way Daniel Craig acted during its portrayal. He was calm, but at the same time you could see the hatred in his motions, though subtle. It was powerful in that he had no second thoughts of his challenger, aware that such a blow to his pride unpunished would simply cause more unrest in the camp.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Grant Ricossa:
I have to agree with both Grant and Micah that Matt Damon was awesome in Good Will Hunting. His emotionality was outstanding.
One of the best movies un my opinion would be the movie Brave Heart probably because its one of those movies that can be extremely long, but the storyline is so good that time isn’t even an issue with watching to entire movie from start to finish. The climax scene has to be one of the best scenes I have ever seen in my life in any movie. The end of the movie was so passionate and it really left me on the edge of my seat throughout the entire movie. Leading up to his death it almost seemed like if you had grew with the main character through the movie and when he was killed I know for me I felt actually some type of sadness after that. A great moment is something that has been built up from the beginning of the movie and the main character has to be very passionate about it. I chose to take a ‘fine art” class this year because I love art and I love all types of arts, I like arts because they really help me express myself and I lose all worries when I take part in arts. Arts are just another way for me to express myself.
ReplyDeleteThe greatest scene that I can think of at this time would have to be the scene in the Lord of the Rings in which Gollum is arguing with Sméagol about who is right and who will pretty much get control of the mind and body of Gollum. He is struggling within himself between good and evil. This scene is good because it illustrates the constant struggle between the forces of good and bad in the every day. Sméagol represents the helpful and kind part of Gollum, and Gollum represents the vengeful and hateful part of Gollum which has been corrupted by the ring. This scene is also important to the movie because it clarifies the fact that no matter how far into the depths of evil you go, you can always climb back out again. This also portrays the acting skill of the man who played Sméagol/Gollum. He has the ability to simultaneously play the main corrupted force and the reformed goodness in the one character. This is an example of exemplary acting because not many people can do that. He is acting a role in which the physical representation of him in the movie is not even his real body; it is an artificial computer representation of the creature Gollum. He must not only make all the movements, do all of the conflicting lines perfectly, and imitate the voice of something that has lived underground for centuries, but he also must cooperate with the digital specialists. He must not mess up their equipment and make the correct movements for the computer.
ReplyDeleteSamuel L. Jackson in the movie "Pulp Fiction" was a great actor. The scene that stays with me is the scene when he is in the room with the two men asking one about Marcellus Wallace. The anger, while controlled, is seen as rage. The Bible quotation is amazing when he shoots the two men. I love all of his quotes as well. "WHAT AINT NO COUNTRY IVE EVER HEARD OF. DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT!!????" Samuel L. Jackson is an amazing actor, and he plays his parts well.
ReplyDeleteRESPONSE TO ED KIME: I agree with you about Tom Hanks. The symbolism of his emotions is amazing in "Saving Private Ryan".
Response to C. Cody
ReplyDeleteI totally agree that the movie "Braveheart" has some of the best scenes of fine acting. It instills many intense feelings in its audiences
I would have to say that one of the best acting experiences that I have seen would be in the movie The Departed. I say this because throughout the movie were top name actors and actresses with a great script and a amazing setting and story line. The first time i saw the movie I was instantly blown away. The plot is a common idea of the battle between good and evil using modern day police and gangsters in Boston. Some of my favorite actors are in the movie,(Mark Whalburg, Matt Damon, and Leonardo DeCaprio) I believe that they portrayed the charecters almost perfectly and made the movie very believeable. All of the actors displayed the emotions that the script called for, anger, happiness, greif, and confusion, all very well. The Departed won four academy awards for best picture, Best director, best editing, and best screenplay. The acting in the movie is phomoninal and the action is very exciting. The Departed has to be, hands down, the movie with the best acting and screenplay that I have seen to this day.
ReplyDeleteBy far the best acting moment I have seen in film is Johnny Depp’s roll as Hunter S. Thompson in “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.” If you know anything about Hunter S. Thompson, you know that he has some very distinctive characteristics. First, he has always walked very bowlegged. Johnny Depp portrays it extremely well, and it looks just like Mr. Thompson. Hunter S. Thompson was also a very extreme alcoholic and drug abuser. His physical characteristics took a toll from the continued abuse. Hunter’s voice is always muffled, and he mumbles a lot. Johnny Depp had his voice down packed, and you could hardly tell a difference between the two. After some research, I found out that Johnny Depp actually lived with Hunter S. Thompson for 2 weeks before the movie. During this time, Depp learned exactly how to act, talk, and look like Hunter. That is dedication if I have ever seen it.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Andrew L.
Rudy is one of my all-time favorite movies, and the acting is extremely good.
This is a very hard decision to make since I have been seeing and experiencing toms of great shows and performances since I was a young child. One acting moment I remember particularly well was the performance of Titanic at the orpheum Memphis. I liked this play so much because everyone acted with so much emotion and it seemed as if they really were attached to the play. They really annunciated their words and put so much emotion into the show it made mefeel as if I really were experiencing the actual happening on the titanic.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Colin- I agree with you on braveheart, it is one of the only movies that is that long and keeps your attention the whole time.
I have not seen many plays in my short life but i have seen a lot of movies. one performance of acting that sticks out the most to me is the movie rudy. Rudy is a about a young man named Rudy Rudiger who ever since he was a little boy dreamed of playing football for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish (aka the best team ever). I like this movie so much because it reminds me of myself. i have never been the fastest, strongest, or tallest but I have always had heart in everything I do. Thats why ilike it i can relate to it. this movie is also great because it keeps you very interested and makes you want to root for the little man who is rudy. The actor sean austin who plays rudy is very believable and you really feel his drive to acheieve a goal that everyone told him was impossible. this movie is great for everyone because everyone likes to root for the underdog. this is probably one of the greatest movie of all time eventough that might be a bias opinion. The actors in this movie are very good and this story makes a lot of people want to follow their dreams because any thing is possible if you work hard and have heart.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Chad
ReplyDeleteI also think Remember the titans is a great movie because it deals with racial tention between teamates during a time where the country was divided by race.
I would have to say the best performance I have ever seen was not in any play that I have seen. Surprisingly I would have to say it was in a move. The best performance I have seen would probably have to have been the amazing portrayal by Joaquin Phoenix in his stellar performance as Johnny Cash in the movie "Walk The Line". I thought he did a very good job protraying Johnny Cash in the fact that he seemed to show the pain and emotions that Johnny Cash went through in his lifetime, I would have to say his portrayal was absolutely brilliant. Joaquin Phoenix also seemed like he was a druggie when he was portraying Johnny Cash which really complimented his acting abilities because for a long period of Johnny Cash's life he was a drug abuser. I would have to say that Joaquin Phoenix did an award winning performance in that movie in respect to being able to almost mimic another person perfectly. I would say that he did one of the top ten performances in modern acting in depicting another person, especially someone as erratic as Johnny Cash who went thorough a million different personality changes.
ReplyDeleteIn Response to Shaun Ryan:
ReplyDeleteI really like what Shaun said because I'm a Notre Dame fan and "Rudy" is a great movie and it is very inspirational.
The best acting moment ever was when Will Ferrell was acting in the movie “Step Brothers.” I prefer his acting skills better than John Reilly. In this movie, Will acted as a grown up man who still lives with his single father who was a business man. And John was living with his mother, who was a business woman. Soon, both of their parents met and decided to get married and Will Ferrell and John Reilly have to move in together. They didn’t like each other. They both acted like they hate one another and they annoy each other just like regular siblings do, but the funny part about it was that both of them were grown up man in their 30’s living with their parents and they cry and whine like little kids do. I’m speaking of the entire movie, but if there was one particular acting moment that I absolutely love, I would say when Will Ferrell played the drums and was hit in the head and was forced to be buried alive by his brother, John. The funny thing was he pretended to be unconscious the whole time by using “ninja focus” to slow his heart beat down. Then he gets up and hits John in the head and he buries him alive at night. That was by far the best acting moment in the movie.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Shaun Ryan:
Rudy all the way man. Notre Dame fans should all watch Rudy for his tenacious and never to give up personality.
In terms of the best moment of performance i have ever seen, i would definitely choose the play wicked. i have seen this play twice and i absolutely love it. it is without a doubt the best performance i have ever seen. i would choose this play because every song and every number sends shivers down your spine. the songs in the play are songs that anyone can like. they have a certain ring to them that makes an imprint on the viewers brain. once you leave this play it is all you will be able to talk about. Another reason I enjoy this play is that I have liked the wizard of oz since i was a little kid and this play puts a very interesting and amazing output on the witches side of the story. This play has everything from comedy, to drama, to horror. it is a complete thrill ride in the theater. This is without a doubt the best play in america.
ReplyDeletein response to shaun ryan:
ReplyDeleterudy is the best movie of all time shaun. even if your not a notre dame fan
One of the best moments of performance I have seen has to be Denzel Washington in the movie Training Day. i think this is the best performance i have seen because Denzel went from being the good person in all his movies to the bad dirty corrupt cop. His performance was edgy, grimy, and extremely passionate. He performed his part in every part from pretending to be a good cop to his dirty and provocative side of drug dealing. In my opinion it was one of the best acting performances ever in a movie because his role was so well done inside and out.
ReplyDeleteI think that my personal favorite point for acting in a movie would have to be in the first Iron Man movie. The time from the beginning of the movie to the point where he escapes from the cave is what really gets to me. It shows how Tony Stark went from an arrogant arms dealer to a man of peace, and respect. Before he was captured he never would have changed his personality so drastically. This was a great moment in acting, because you could sense the fear and desperation from the portrayal of the characters. The actors are able to convey the friendship established in the cave. Robert Downey Jr. makes the viewer feel the sadness that he feels from the loss of his friend. He also had to be very comfortable with the camera in his face. Seeing from the multiple shots with just his head and a computer screen in front of him. Also he is able to keep a cocky attitude without loosing the fear that any person would feel in that situation. I think that many other actors would not be able to give that same effect to the audience that Downey Jr. does.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Patrick Krog:
ReplyDeleteI agree that he has to be a good actor, and he has to be a very cooperative person, because if he doesn't comply then he ruins the shot.
Kevin J. Murphy in Response to Blog 10
ReplyDeleteIt is hard to say what one of the most impressive theatrical moments. If I had to choose I would say one of the best moments I have ever witnessed on the stage was probably when I was about 13. I went to see the Nutcracker. My mom really likes theatrical things, like musicals, and plays so she took me with her when she went to see it. In the middle of the musical there was one point where the nutcracker comes to life. It seemed like all those actors and actresses had trained for that one moment. It had an incredible effect. I was absolutely captured in the moment. It seemed like it was real, the whole effect was incredible as I said before. The music and the motions that the actors and actresses did in response to the music was perfectly timed. Everything and anything the actors and actresses did in that scene was so perfect that the rest of the musical while good was not as good as that first scene. So it was sort of a letdown, but still good. I really did not understand everything that happened because I was so young, but even I realized what an achievement that those actors and actresses had.
Kevin J. Murphy in response to Ben Pratt.
I know what your saying Ben. That scene in Iron Man is impressive and gets you every time you see it.
I would say the best acting I have ever seen was Jacki Gleason in smokey and the bandit. I love this movie because I have been watching it ever since I was a kid but I think he did so good becuse he was able to turn into such an asshole so easily and he really wasn't an asshole in real life. When he was in that movie He played one of the most funny people I have ever seen.
ReplyDeleteThe most memorable acting I have seen would have to be Heath Ledger in Batman The Dark Knight. I would have to say this because he transformed from a normal guy into the psychopathic Joker. He did a great job becoming the Joker, he was such a creep in that movie and I was extremely glad to have seen that movie. It was an excellent job of doing that and I have a great respect for his acting skill. Another thing that was kind of crazy was that in his attempt to fully get into character he took an overdose of drugs and died. This was crazy and I thought it was somewhat respectful to see how into his job he got.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Kevin J Murphy:
ReplyDeleteI have seen The Nutcracker live before and I agree it was quite lovely. This show was marvelous and I was glad to have seen it.
The best piece of acting I have ever seen is Brandon Lee's performance as Eric Draven in the 1994 movie The Crow. It was Lee's final role, since he was killed in a freak accident on set during the last week of filming. In the movie, Eric Draven and his fiance Shelley are murdered the night before their wedding by a group of gang criminals. One year after this event, Eric is resurrected with the ability of immortality, and seeks to kill those same criminals. Eric does this not so much with a vengence, but more so by using the evil tendencies of these criminals against them, showing them the destructiveness of their vices before they ultimately die from them. While this was already a very well-written role to begin with, Lee took the part a step further. While any other actor probably would have portrayed Eric as a horribly depressed man, full of hate and loathing, Lee took Eric over the edge, portraying him as having gone insane by absorbing himself completely in his love for his fiance, whom he would never see again. This tragic loss is portrayed through sheer madness. The insanity that Lee brought to the role makes his scenes absolutely excellent. Lee uses it as an opportunity for Eric to toy with the evil aspects of each of the criminals respectively. He does this all out of love for his dead fiance, showing his love not through words, but through his actions. In my opinion, Brandon Lee's role as Eric Draven is the greatest role as a tragic hero ever played.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Jason Haag:
I also very much enjoyed Ledger's role as The Joker. Many people have actually compared his performance with that of Brandon Lee. To me, they are both excellent roles as a mad villain and an insane hero respectively.
The best acting I have seen was Angela Bassett in the movie "The Jacksons". Her facial expressions and body language really made the movie good. She really sold the role of a caring mother who wanted her kids to succeed. Her emotions when she was happy and sad were unbelievable.
ReplyDeleteOne of the best acting moments I have ever seen can only be credited to Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan. He plays a teacher/military captain named John Miller during World War II. There is an important scene in the movie where they have captured a German soldier. The men in his troop fight over whether they should kill him or release him. The argument gets heated, but after all the arguing and fighting in the company in regards to letting the German soldier walk, Captain Miller says "For every man I kill I feel further away from home". It was in this particular moment that I felt what the soldiers were feeling: confusion, anger, etc. Hanks found a way to capture my attention and make me feel the emotions he was experiencing. Throughout the movie his character was balanced between the tough, no nonsense captain he was expected to be, and the soft, humane leader his soldiers knew him as. He was nominated for best performance of an actor in a leading role, and even though he did not win, the movie was still awarded best cinematography.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Jason Heath Ledger was great in Dark Knight
My favorite acting piece is Edward Norton Jr.'s role in American History X. He truly captured the theme and the lifestyle that neo-nazi's and skinheads base their life on. The best scene is at the beginning when the black men are trying to steal his car. He not only shot and killed two but shot one and wounded him. Then after wounding him made him put his mouth on the curb and proceeded to stomp on top of his head. His actions in this scene, by not showing compassion, portray the true hatred that most skin heads have. Although it was very explicit and raw I believe it represented the point he was trying to get off the best.
ReplyDeleteI know of many fantastic acting performances that i believe can be described as "fine art", but i feel the Heath Ledger's role in the movie "The Dark Knight" as the joker was one of the best acting performances that i've seen when dealing with trying to portray the views of a psychotic man who has this playfulness about him that seems to make him have no fear. The acting the he showed in the movie was defiantly and art because it drew so many people into the movie itself. Which is something i have learned about acting in general is that the main idea like any kind of art is usually to tell as story and draw an audience into that story to make them experience feelings and emotions that will make them feel like part of whatever art they are experiencing.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Thomas Bruce's post:
I agree hate is an art in itself