A place where Education and Theatrical Arts merge with Student Thought to foster greater understanding of the World of Acting.
THE RULES of THIS BLOG SITE
Any response that uses inappropriate language, content, or anything else that Mr. Williams would deem offensive will receive an automatic grade of "0" with no hope for resubmitting the post. You are expected to respond in a mature and Godly fashion. Content can talk about topical things (drugs, drinking, relationships, family, sex, God, emotions, etc.), but the delivery of the information should be in such a manner that well represents yourself, your parents and family, CBHS, Mr. Williams, and most importantly, God. I really look forward to your posts. -- Mr. Williams
October 17, 2010
Acting I Blog 9
DUE WEDNESDAY 10/20/10 BY 9:00 AM! For directions, please visit BLOG9 at the CBHS Theatrical & Choral Academic Activities website. I look forward to your posts!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Makeup is very important in theater and it helps make an actor look like a real character. In Makeup A, the makeup on the actor looks like he is an old man lost in the world. In my story, the old man is looking for a friend after loosing his beloved wife to cancer. The man is sad and depressed. During the day, the man sits in his home alone with a cup of coffee and he is crying over the death of his wife. The makeup shows the sadness of the man and his wrinkly face. Everyday, the man goes to get the paper from a little boy and the little boy has been checking on the man everyday. The only joy in the man's life is the little boy. The little boy cheers him up and the old man wants a friend to make him feel good. By looking at the makeup, I could tell the man needed a friend and that was my conclusion to the story.
ReplyDeleteWhen I looked at the makeup on picture B, I was really impressed with the woman's makeup. This woman lives in New Orleans in a dark and spooky house. People are scared of this woman because there was witchcraft being performed inside the house. The woman only comes out of her house during madrigal. The woman wants to be excluded from anyone and she wants to live her life by herself. The woman loves cats and she doesn't care if spiders and dirty webs are near her house. This woman looks scary with her dark lines on her face and the dark eye. The conclusion of this story is that the woman stays at home and only comes out to scare people in madrigal.
Picture C looks like a man who lived in the 1700s. This man is a young politician and I could tell that by his hair. In those days, people wore wigs and the hair was curled up. The man wears makeup to look professional and he is respected. He lives in a small town and a lot of people count on him to pass laws and grant independence to the United States. Some war veterans believe the man doesn't look like he could lead a country, but its not about his looks. It's about his heart and determination to lead our country. I've come to a conclusion that the makeup on this man looks like he is one of the leader's of the United States trying to grant us independence.
The makeup on the lady in picture D is incredible. The lady in the picture is inside people's dreams. She is the key to the pursuit of happiness. The pursuit of happiness is meant for everyone to be happy in the world. Everyone should have a family and a home. The woman in the picture is the person that leads people that are struggling in sadness to convert them to happiness. The woman is beautiful and she is glowing in many colors. The turquoise and teal and blue colors symbolize happiness. People dream about being happy and this woman shows up in dreams. The conclusion is that this lady leads people to happiness and she is just like an angel.
In Makeup A, I can tell that the actor is in a play just like Arsenic and Old Lace. Or the actor could be in a play with an old man. I could tell by the makeup on his wrinkly skin and throat to show that the actor is trying to portray a role of an elderly man. Grey paint is also used to color the hair and facial hair of the actor. The tan or skin color makeup is put on the actor extremely well making the skin and the wrinkles stand out amazingly. The makeup artist then with the finishing touches with the darker than to make the actor look more realistically old.
ReplyDeleteIn Makeup B, I can tell that the actress is in a play like Phantom of the Opera. Or the actress could be in a play with a lot of theatrical drama and opera. The black and gold paint that covers the eyes of the actress just sets the tone of the makeup and gives out the answer of the play they are acting in. It shows that they are in a play just like the Phantom of the Opera. The white paint to cover up the rest of the face shows that the actress is a setting of doom and horror with the singing of opera. Overall, I can tell that the actress is in a play with theatrical horror and theatrical drama.
In Makeup C, I can tell that the actor is in a play like Romeo and Juliet. Or the actor could portray the role of a judge or lawyer or even play a role of George Washington in the early American history. How I could tell is by the white paint that just goes all over the actors face. It’s simple. And a little pink blush on his cheeks and red lipsticks. Another asset to the makeup is the hair. The lawyer looking like hair sets the tone for the makeup. From my point of view, I can tell that the actor is in a play full of history and a play full with dialogue.
In Makeup D, I can tell that the actress is in a fantasy play. This play should have a lot of dances and choreography. The way I can tell is by the grey or silver like make up on the actress’s face and with the blue or green paint on her skin with the costume. I could also see the slight glitter on the actress’s face. This makeup shows that the actress in a play like Tinker Bell or a play with ferries.
My response to Browning Stubbs:
I totally agree with you about the man in make up C would have probably lived in the 1700s and that he was either into law or politics.
For the first photograph, I would use this character in some sort of story that told a tale of many years of struggle, hardship and pain. Perhaps he could be an old olive farmer that produced olive oil and lived in Italy. He could have worked in the fields every day for long hours, but is soon thinking of retirement. I came to this conclusion, because of the feeling I got from his face. He looks like he has seen a lot and done a lot.
ReplyDeleteFor the second photograph it would have to be something a little more out there. What I see is maybe used in a gothic production. She could be a dead bride. Maybe she was young and in love, but something tragic happened in her young married life. This picture was a little easier to come to a conclusion. This is because her face is a little scary, but she is dressed nice and is almost pretty.
In the third photograph I see a perhaps a younger George Washington. I say this because his hair looks like George Washington and his face looks young. This could perhaps be the softer side of George who is more in touch with his feelings and emotions. I gathered this because his face is a little softer and almost tells a story.
The fourth photograph is very hard to decipher. There is not a feature that is jumping out that says what this is so I have to use my imagination a little more than the other three. I think that it is some kind of creature that lives in the sea, perhaps Atlantis. I think that this is a girl; she perhaps lures other creatures in with her beauty then takes advantage of them. I said this because she looks beautiful with a since of evil.
The first person looks like his makeup would used to descirbe an old man. The old mans features make him look like he's had a hard life. He also looks like he could be an aging lawyer who is very tired. The cloak the actors has on could signify him as being a friar like one of our Brothers. The second photograph looks like a broken Geisha doll. The black eye could signify a fight between two beautiful geishas. The cracked face also signifies something of a violent act by another person. The makeup could also be an evil character in a play, maybe a witch or goddess. The mouth looks like it could spit fire at people. The half of the face with the black eye could mean the bad side of the character and the gold side with jewels could signify the good side of the charcter. The third person looks like an aristocratic person from early american history. The person could be a judge or a very high person in society. The character could be on the way to a fancy ball or meeting of big wigs. He could also be a gay prostitute in the 1800's. The last photograph looks like a alien creature from that movie with Bruce Willis. Who is protecting the girl who is supposed to save the world from an evil guy. The character alo looks like an theatre version of avatar with all the blue. It could be a aristocratic alien in society with a high position. The charcter could also be a acotr in a circus full of alien freaks. It looks pretty cool and beautiful.
ReplyDeleteRespone to Mr. Chang
I agree that the guy look like an old man, the second photo could also be a killer with.
In the 1st picture, the actor looks like he is trying to describe a skinny old man. From the features, you could say that the old man is scared or has seen something scary. The man looks very confused, and looks like he has a problem. This actor would go good in a murder play.
ReplyDeleteThe 2nd picture really jumps out at me. It really shows creativity and uniqueness and shows a certain style. I would use this in a drama, maybe from the 18th century.
The 3rd picture shows to me that this actor could be used in a play about the American Revolution. He has the right hair and the right face for the job.
The 4th picture tells me that this would go good in an under water fiction play. This would go good in something like Peter pan.
response to Caylon Thomas: I could see the 1st guy as a Brother, and i could also see the 3rd picture being an aristocrat.
ReplyDeleteMake up is an important part of acting. Make up allows the audience to visualize a character better in the first picture it is easy to see an old man. The old man is cloaked and has a hood which could mean that he was was a monk, or just from simpilar times. If the man man is a monk he the play could have a religous feeling, or more of a darker reverent side. If the man is just cloaked because that is the way they dressed in his time he could just be a character, or he could be the main character telling the story pasing it down through oral traditon. He could also be telling his life story. The person in the picture has no facial hair, and the neck is very skinny not broad so it could also be a women maybe a widow with short hair, or maybe just a poor peasant in a kngdom.
ReplyDeleteIn the second picture the person has more of a gothic and sinister look. Maybe the person is going to a costume party. The person could also be a killer hiding behind a mask. The person might also just have alot a free time and a friend who likes to draw on people.
The person in the third picture looks like he is from the 1700's. As soon as I saw his mole it made me think of the french. He could have been a french soldier, or servant to the king. He might not even be a frenchmen in his role. But because of his whig i think he is from that era.
When I first looked as the final picture I first thought of a mirmaid, or some underwater form of life. The different shades of blue in the picture lead me to believe that. After second look I noticed to smaller objects which appear to be people with wings. After seeing this i came to the conclusion that they were fairies and that the larger person in the picture was there leader.
I agree with Max the second picture could be a killer
ReplyDeleteAfter viewing picture three, I believe that almost any story could use make up of this nature. Like you said in the opening paragraphs, this make up design is very similar to andrews in his play. When i went to the play, I could not even tell he was wearing make up. This make up could be used in a play like arsenic and old lase or any other play. I think this make up just emphazises facial charactoristics. It appears that this guy is trying to look older. In a high school play, no one can look like an eighty year old man without make up.
ReplyDeletePicture B looks like it owuld be used in some sort of chinese theatre. It is very over the top and is supposed to be that way. When i watch chinese movies, most of thier props and stars are dressed elaboratly. I do not know how she would be able to see around the stage but different from picture A, the audienece could easily tell she is wearing make up.
Picture C looks like it would be in a old french play. In movies such as marie antwonette, the charactors use white make up like in this one. They also used to wear white wigs. This was to show that they were wealthy by being very white. If one was tan, you were thought to be someone who did manual labor or who used to work in the fields.
Picture D looks like something from a ocean story. When I went to atlantis there were several aquariems. For some reason, this picture reminds me of this. Thier were several exoctic fish who looked like this picture. This story could be something like the little mermaid but perhaps a more grown up version.
Response to Eric:
I agree with his response to picture d. I also think it is a water story. The colors are very vivid and say to me that it has to be a water themed story. I did not think of the person in the picture to be a fairy but after reading his response it is possible they could be.
The first picture can easily be interpreted as the face of an old man. The makeup in the first picture looks exactly like Andrew Fleming's makeup used in Arsenic and Old Lace. This makeup could be used in any play that has an old person acting in the play. This makeup would probably be required to use in a high school play that had an old man in it because an ordinary high school boy does not look like an old man.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion after looking at the second picture, the makeup's purpose is to somewhat scare the audience watching this actor. This makeup style would also be the perfect makeup for someone dressing up for Haloween if that person wanted to scare the hell out of people. This makeup style would be used in a dark, gothic- like play.
The third makeup would be used for a French style play. Women in France looked like this around the late seventeen hundreds. The makeup looks very simple to me. You would just use powder and a white wig.
The final makeup looks very complicated and different than most makeup styles. This makeup style could be used for the witch in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Another use of the makeup could be for a goddess who lives in the sea.
Response to G. Douglas: I agree with you in just about all of your views of the four different kinds of makeups shown in the pictures.
The man in picture A is definitely supposed to be an old person. His face is wrinkled and shriveled. His hair and eyebrows are gray. He also looks very sad. He has bags underneath his eyes and his mouth is wrinkled into a frown. In picture B, the lady is supposed to look dead and creepy. One of her eyes is messed up pretty badly and the other one is gone. Her face is dead-white and there are cracks in it as though it is a skull. And then there is some color around her left eye; I cannot imagine why. The person in picture C looks like he is in a play that depicts a past time. It is probably supposed to be set in the 1700's. I can tell this by the hairstyle. It looks like a french congressman. Their faces were usually very pale. The last picture uses the most makeup. Her face and neck are shiny and green. It could be "Mother Nature" because of the green face and the flower-like clothing. It is definitely not a human-like character. And whoever she is, they are trying to draw attention to her.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Merritt Jacks
I think you are right about the third photograph being a French guy. They did used to powder their faces, especially the upper class. It seems creepy to me...
Response to Corbin Carter:
ReplyDeleteI like that we both agree on picture #2. The skinny old man needed a friend and we both saw that. On the last photo we both visualized a fantasy world. You saw her in Peter Pan and I saw her as a way to the pursuit of happiness. Good job, I could see you wearing this makeup.
I see in Makeup A an older man who has lived through alot of good and bad things. The makeup around his eyes show that he has been stressed alot in his life and the wrinkles [rovide a steady base for this conclusion. This form of makeup could be used in either a older play that was set in the earlier eras or for a play that has some darkness and sadness to it.
ReplyDeleteIn makeup B i see a mask that could be used as a foreign based element for a god, godess, or even a deamon in several ways. It looks like the mask was put on the persons face to try and hold back something that wants to show itself, thus cracking the mask of makeup and the half eye of a masquarade mask. I think that this form of makeup would easily fit in a foreign play.
Make up C is slightly creepy in someways but i could see that form of makeup being used in a play based in the 1700's to late 1800's in either colonial American or Great Britian. The makeup gives off the presentation of a richer, sophisticated being whom could be considered a gentleman. Nice mole by the way.
Make up D is pure fantasy, i would be suprised and slightly shocked to find something in a play that isn't. I would expect this kind of makeup to be applied when the play is talking about magic and something with fairys in my opinion.
Makeup is an important part of a production because it can tell story lines that are not directly played out in the show. For example, a person can have a noticeable scar that plays back to an injury mentioned in the show. The man in A seems like he could be an old man that is lonely. Maybe recently lost his wife and now has nobody left in his life. The play could be about his quest to find love again or just a finding a friend. The woman in B just looks crazy. She could be a crazy killer, a female professional wrestler, or a band member. All three are believable from the photo. Regardless of the actual character, it's mostly certain that this person is not to be messed with. The man in C looks like a historical figure with the wig. He could be playing George Washington or somebody important from the 1700s and early 1800s. The woman (assuming) in D looks like a wicked witch, but because of the rest of the picture, my guess is that it is Tinkerbell. The bright colors, glitter, and large amount of makeup implies that the character is mythical or imaginary. Fairy or witch would be my first choice.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Pietrangelo:
I definitely agree with Chris on the first and third people. I didn't really think about the character in B of being dead, but it is a good idea.
In picture number 1, i would use him as a very old person in a play. I would use him to portray an old person because the wrinkles and shrivels on his face and neck. His hair and eye brows are grey which add to his age. I would make him a very wise man because with age normally comes wisdom. The character also would be sad because of the frown on his face.
ReplyDeleteIn the second photo, the person looks like they would be from ancient China. The character would be a dancer or entertainer of some sort because of the designs on her face. Another option would be a very sick girl. I would say this because of her pale face, and the vein looking black things on her face. It could look like this because when people are dying in movies there veins are portrayed even more.
For the third picture, i would describe the character as an early wealthy American. I would use this character in a play if i was doing a play of the early Americans or coming to the Americans. He looks like a typical early American President because of the white wig and the powdered face. The actor needs to do something with his goatee because it throws the whole make up for the character.
The last picture looks like someone who would be in a fantasy world or underwater world. I would use the makeup if i was doing something in that category. The colors bring out the characters inability to live in a new world. This would be perfect for someone in a fantasy or under water world.
Response to Geordy
I agree with you about the fourth picture, and i like how you thought it would be an old french man. Good write up on picture 1 and 2 also
Makeup is not only one of the most important parts of acting and show business but it also helps portray the story without any words. By looking at pictures of characters with makeup you can have a clue of what the story could be about as related to this character.
ReplyDeleteThe first picture looks like a man who has been through a hard life but had a family who he may have lost a long time ago. He looks like a man who would be a good fit for a drama in which he is lying in his bed.
The second picture looks like a woman who could be from back in the Elizabethan days. She looks like a person that may represent danger and could be used in a dangerous situation. She almost looks imaginative.
The third picture looks like it may be some sort of older American governmental person. He looks like a person that would be cast in a film that was about early American society. He would be in the government kind of like George Washington and the wig he wore.
The fourth picture looks like a modern imaginative lady who would maybe appear in someones dreams. She looks like some kind of aqua creature. I'm not exactly sure what kind of show she would be used in.
Response to Merritt Jacks:
I like your opinions and obviously agree with the first picture as do most of the people that I have seen writing about.
A)In picture A I see a sad old man. The old man has been through a lot and has a lot of rinkles. I think he was used in a sad play. I also think he worked outside his whole life because he has a darker skin color, or he is just hispanic. I bet that character is the wisest character in the play.
ReplyDeleteB)I think the picture B is of a lady who has a supernatural part in a play. No human really looks like that. I think she looks like a zombie, but not gross zombie. She could be a zombie that is a good character in the play. She also has cool decorations on her face meaning, that she once was important. It looks nonhuman.
C) The character in this picture looks like somebody from the 17 century. It looks like a British man from the upperclass. The upperclass dressed like that back then. For example our founding fathers dressed like the rich British. The man is young and could possibly be like founding father in his younger days.
D)This last picture is crazy. The lady doesn't have a lower body so she must be a ghost or a god or something. She looks supernatural but she looks nice. She could a goddess that helps the characters out or something. She looks like she is from nature. She could be mother nature, because he is so natural. She is very interesting.
Response to Connor Payne:
Yea I can see the last character being from a fantasy or water world. She is blue and not real.
A) This make up reminds me of an old man, probably of Mexican or some Southern European descent. Through his wrinkles and sunken eyes you can tell that he has had a long and hard life and has seen and experienced many things that he may not have wanted to. The lines on his forehead express that he has a lot of worries. I would use this make up for a drama like Grapes of Wrath or something like that.
ReplyDeleteB) This make up is ridiculous. I guess you would use it for "Slipknot on Stage" or something like that. Its pretty "edgy" and "hardcore" and all that other good stuff. On the other hand, I guess she could be in a play about a murder mystery or a Shakespearean play. Other than that it just looks like a big waste of paint.
C)The make up in the third picture looks like an aristocratic man from the colonial period or some British guy in the 1700s. I would use this make up in a play about that time period and use him as an upper-class society person.
D)The last picture looks like some sort of alien or ghost or fairy. It could also be a god or goddess from some ancient religion. I would use this kind of make up in a science fiction or a movie like 300.
Response to Mitchell Sexton:
ReplyDeleteI agree that the last picture could be some natural superbeing or mother nature because she has an earthy feel.
Picture A to me looks like a lonely old man. I think he acted in a play that might have been a drama that was meant to be sad and depressing. It seems that the old man has alot of stress and has been through many tough experiences lately in his life. It shows that he is old through the wrinkles and and gray hair.
ReplyDeletePicture B is very artsy and could possibly be used for a show that might have been a scary play. Maybe since she has two different styles on her face the character might have two different personalities. I think that she is not human and must be some kind of evil creature that has a good side to her.
Picture C looks like a man from the 1700s. IN my perspective he looks like a pretty wealthy man who is stuck up and thinks he is better than everyone else is. He could have been in a play about early America.
Picture D is crazy looking. To me she looks like and Avatar or some kind of mythical creature. She does not have any parts of the body starting around the stomach. So she looks like she must be some type of ghost creature.
Response to Mitchell: I agree with you on all of these pictures especially the third one
In the first picture I think the makeup would most closely fit in with a play that has a very troubled and unfortunate old man. The old man looks like he has had a hard life. He also looks like he has just recently seen tragedy. I came to this assumption because of how distressed he looks.
ReplyDeleteIn the second picture I think the makeup would most closely fit in with a play that has a very bizarre character. It looks like the makeup might be implying that the character is two-faced. The partial mask looks very elegant and lively but underneath the mask the character looks dead and very gloomy. I pick up on this because the first thing I saw was the strange, lifeless face with the small mask covering part of it.
In the third picture I think the makeup would have to do with a character from the 1700s. It has the traditional curly white wig with a painted white face. I think it would be very easy to imagine this character on a jury in a court trial from the 1700s. This is a very recognizable style at first glance.
In the forth picture I think the makeup would be used for a fantasy play. It looks very unnatural and far-fetched. I think that this character looks like some sort of alien princess or queen. The clothing makes the character look like someone of high importance. It also looks like there is a crown on her head.
Response to Mitchell Sexton:
Yea, I agree with you on how the old man looks like he has been through a lot and I can also see how you thought that the last picture could be Mother Nature, I never even thought about that.
Picture A looks like would be in a story of deep sorrows. something sad and very depressing maybe something describing the hardships and trials a man faces in a life time. The wrinkles and dark areas all have meaning and show how gruesome life has been. Where the wrinkles show sings of deep stress.I said this because this you see this in everyway play when the characters try to show the image of having a hard life. Makeup B looks like something very wicked. Looks like something that would have to do with either Halloween or even some sort of witch movie. this would creep a little kid out the facial makeup is put in a way were it makes her look evil or possessed.I came to this conclusion because it scared my little sister just now. Makeup c looks like it would be in a early play back when Charlemagne was alive. the makeup ties into the time period they used makeup to signify wealth and high statue in society. ive seen alot of old movies and know the meaning of the social ladder. Makeup D looks like it would be in a modern day Peter Pan with all the cool colors and effects that bring out the beauty in the image. this image reminds me of a fairy in an imaginary world mainly in kids movies.
ReplyDeleteresponce to tyler pelts. I agree with you on each response. you've opened my mind into deeper and more meaningful thought.
ReplyDeleteIn makeup A, the photo tells a story of a man who has not gotten much sleep because he has been searching all over to find some chapstick to hydrate his lips. The search is very cold and rigorous. He feels as if sleep isnt necassary until he finds the chapstick. While searching, he is aging day to day.
ReplyDeleteIn makeup B, it looks like a picture of life and death. On the right side of her face, it looks as if there is much sorrow and very little hope. On the other side there is colors and designs and it looks like lively and positive.
In makeup C, the photo looks like a man from the 1600s and he is getting dressed for a big event that will be taking place in the palace. He looks as if he is the prince of some country.
In makeup D, the photo tells the story of a gaurdian angel who is always looking out for you and telling you wrong from right from time to time.The gaurdian is of good luck according to the bright live colors that it possesses.
A. The kind of story that this makeup shows me is that people are getting old and sadness is upon them. By the face and the makeup you can tell everything. And the way I got my answer is by the look of the face. The wrinkles tell that the man is old. And you can sort of tell by the look in the face and the makeup that it looks sad.
ReplyDeleteB. The second picture is a kind of difficult one because it has two different things on a face. To me it looks like it is trying to portray a two faced girl or person. The colored part of the makeup is pretty looking and looks good to me it shows class and love or a happy time. The white and black part reminds me of darkness and hatred. The way I got this assumption is by just looking at it and thinking about it hard.
C. The third picture is kind of difficult and I had to think really hard about this one because I don’t really know how to describe it. To me it reminds me of the old days with George Washington and all them because of the powder wigs. And the white makeup they are wearing. The reason I could tell this is because you can just look at them and see that’s that is what that is it was just hard because it could be other things but that was the first thing that popped in my head.
D. Now the third one is confusing and looks easy to describe but to me it isn’t easy to describe, but I’m going to try and describe it. To me it looks like a fairy with all the colors and glow. It really shows a happy time and all. It is very colorful also. I really don’t get it but I tried to explain it.
To Browning Stubbs:
ReplyDeleteIt looks like you got the last one right. I didn't get it but now that I look at the picture you are right man.
A) In this makeup it seems as if this person is an old man. The man is tired. Life has worn him down and he is no longer the happy soul he may have been at one point. The story that I would associate with this makeup would be one of a man whose joy has been stripped from him. The youthful spirit once in him is now long forgotten. Life’s toll has made him weary. The daily grind has brought his exuberant spirit to a screeching halt.
ReplyDeleteB) I would associate this makeup with some psychopathic villain. He is a crazy person who has no regard for any dignity and has no respect for anyone, including himself. He is evil. It would not make a difference to him whether or not the world set on fire. He just wants to see things fall apart.
C) This third makeup represents a colonial time. A time where people wore wigs to impress others. A time where making one’s skin as pale as possible was seen as an act of beauty. This story depicts a man as the standard for what it means to be a gentleman. He acts, talks, and even walks in a way that shows how civilized he is. He is a wealthy man with great manners. He is well respected and spends a lot of time keeping up his self-image.
D) To me the last makeup looks like some sort of spiritual being. With his mesmerizing colors, he captures the attention of all. He has great power; this power can sometimes lead to abuse of his abilities. He can disappear and reappear again in a blink of an eye. He is very confident in his power.
Response to Mark Hampton
I think you were exactly right on the last one. That is kink of what I said. It is like an angel of some sort. The colors emphasize that idea. This angel looks over you and guides you I life.
Makeup is a very important aspect to any theatrical production. it helps the audience visualize what the characters are supposed to look like. It also helps the play appear more realistic to the audience. In a way they feel more in captured in the production. The first picture appears to be an old man. This old man seems to be troubled or sad for some odd reason and it seems that nothing can really help him at all in his dire situation. In another sense, he could be getting ready for something ready and starting to stay focused. The second picture the person appears to play a strange character. This character could be playing a part evil part good person. It could be someone with an internal conflict. The third person looks like he could be playing a character who is either a woman or a person from the 1700s of high society. The fourth and final character on the list is a complicated one to describe. In some aspects it looks like a sea bearing creature or a character who lives under the sea. This character looks wise for some reason and looks like the character that would either help the protagonist or be his enemy.
ReplyDeleteRESPONSE TO PELTS
ReplyDeleteYes i can see how the second one could be part dead or full dead.
The makeup in the first picture would seem to me like it was used for a man that was supposed to be old. He seems to be skinny and somewhat sad looking. I would say he is a man that has faced a tough life and doesn't seem to have any happiness to show for it.
ReplyDeleteThe makeup in the second picture makes the person seem like they are crazy. The person seems to be confused with who they are, either a dead person or someone at Mardi Gras. This character would definetly be frightening to me if I saw it up close or even far away.
The makeup in the third picture reminds me of Colonial America or the 18th and 19th centuries in England. This picture could represent someone like George Washington or just a normal person from England during that period of time. This person's makeup seems the best out of all to me because it is something that we can associate with a time period in our nation's history and that of England.
The makeup in the fourth picture makes me think of blue people. I think of someone with a pretty messed up blue skin causing disease. It is pretty crazy looking and probably has a better explination than mine. It aslo reminds me of the movie avitar because the people were blue.
In the first makeup scetch it seems like to me it represents people that are gettting older and it just looks like the man could be very sick and on his death bed getting more ill everyday. It also looks like to me that the man could be in deep pain and that he has had a very tough life.
ReplyDeleteFor the second one, not to be funny or anything but the second I saw this it took me back to my childhood waking up early every Saturday morning and turning on my tv to watch Power Rangers. It looks like it could be in a recreation of Power Rangers and could be the face of a new villian.
The third one reminds me of all the countless 18th century based type movies that I have ever seen. It looks George Washington's era when it was ok for men to wear make-up.
And the fourth one would be something very majestic, I could see it be in like an Avatar type movie. Something unknown and with made up creatures that almost seems majical but very real at the same time.
In response to: Nathan Tarver I could also see the third make up as an early American civilizaton type look, durring the time of our independence from Britain.
Response to Austin McClain:
ReplyDeleteI agree with your statement on the last picture. I was confused too but it looks like it could be some sort of a fairy or something.
A.)In photograph a the kind of story it would probably be is a story that starts when a man is very young and goes on through is life till he is old. The story would be about how fast time can fly and why we should cherish all the moments we have in life. The make up of the old man and the facial looks as if the character has ahd a troubled past.
ReplyDeleteB.)Photograph B looks it would be some kind of science fiction story or zombie story. The make-up of the actor is very elegant and different from a tridition type of make-up for a play. It really looks like the person is wearing a mask.
C.)From the make up of this charater it looks like he would be in a story in the 18 century when males wore wigs. The face make up is very feminine with what looks to be lipstick.
D.)The make up of pohotograph D is very outragoues and out of the normal. I t reminds me of the movie avatar because of the blue incorporation. The actors make up is directly incorprated into his wardrobe.
I think makeup A would be used in a sad movie. The face looks like a sad, old man who is never happy. He looks old because there are many wrinkles made from the makeup. It looks like the story could have had a tragedy in it because of the way the man with the makeup looks.
ReplyDeleteI think makeup B looks like it would be used in a story about a band like Kiss. The makeup also makes the actor look like a villain. The makeup makes the character look all crazy and evil. The makeup is done crazily, and the mouth kind of reminds me of the Joker from Batman. I think a story with this type of makeup in it would involve many weird murders.
Makeup C looks like it would be in a court house during the times of George Washington. I said during the times of George Washington because of the wig he has on. The makeup is very dull, and it seems like the story could be set in a boring place. I think the story would have to do with court room trials.
Make up D reminds me of a weird-looking Peter Pan. The make up is crazy and very vibrant. It also kind of reminds me of a geanie. I could see this character in a story that takes place in an enchanted forest. The character reminds me of a story that could be about a crazy adventure.
Response to Colin Cody:
I also believe that makeup D is majestic. It also reminds me of Avatar.
Make up is an important part of any theatrical performance. Whether it be a play, musical, opera, or magic show, makeup is always necessary to place actors into the shoes of their characters. The style and look of the makeup depends mostly on the character an actor is portraying in the performance. Makeup A is very interesting the dark lines and saddened facial expression is that of an old man. This style would mostly likely be used for a play that involved older characters. Makeup B is something very special in my opinion. There are many elements in this make up that could place this character in a variety of different plays. One aspect screams a mask so you could assume a play about an old Venice festival. However, some elements scream horror and tragedy which could point to a more scary and dark performance. Makeup C is pretty comical. Here we have the classical cross dressing man. This style of makeup would be used in a comedy to make the audience laugh. Makeup D is very complex. Its colors and design are very exotic which would lead someone to believe that this style of makeup would be used in a work of fantasy.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Blake: I have to disagree with what Blake had to say on Makeup B and C, but I can defintely see where he got those ideas for Makeup A and D
A) Makeup like this I could see in a production like Arsenic. It features an old man all wrinkled up and ancient looking. He’s even slightly sad, like the lonely drifters the two grannies decided to kill. The white hair and eyebrows just make it seem like this character is too sad for life and is looking for his last action.
ReplyDeleteB) This person is a little more different to describe, I could see here in some fantasy production that was meant to entertain the audience for a while. She could be an evil, playful spirit that terrorizes a small Asian village in feudal Japan. She kind of reminds me of the stories of small girls being “spirited away” by those spirits to never be seen from again. I could see the main little girl revolting from her and trying to make a dashing escape from the beautiful, golden side of her face and finally seeing the dark and cracked black and white side.
C) This man looks like he belongs in Alice in Wonderland. He’s a courtly type fellow with the powdered wig and blush and just seems like he’d fit in. He could stand in fear of the red queen as she mercilessly sentenced people to decapitation and then laugh whenever she made a trademark horrible joke. He seems easily influenced and a background character to me.
D) This one is far and away my favorite. I see this make-up and automatically I think of Brom’s The Child Thief. It’s a dark re-imagining of Peter Pan, where he steals children from their unfortunate lives and convinces them to fight against a blighted English colony that has “Hook” as their leader. It talks about faeries and sprites and other magical creatures and that’s the feeling I get from this person.
RESPONSE TO MR. HATTAWAY:
Blake I think most of your decisions on the make-up are spot on. Almost all of them coincide with the conclusions that I came to. The villain feel in make-up B I definitely think so and I like how you tied that into Batman. D is the one where I thought we most joined up though. It’s good to see someone else get a Peter Pan idea from it. Maybe it was just the faeries in the background, but I’m glad someone else saw it too.
I believe that the makeup of a person can begin to describe a lot about that person without having to have spoken any words. I can tell that the man is old, he doesn't look very happy. You can tell that due to his makeup that he is old, due to his wrinkles. He looks very calm, but angry at the same time.
ReplyDeletePhotograph B looks like a movie that has a lot to do with fictional beliefs. Almost reminds me of the sci-fi channel and some of the movies they put on their. The person is kinda scary looking, it reminds me of a clown, or a joker. In a way, it could represent something of life and death, or happiness and sadness. Some two things which are opposite of one another.
The third looks like something out of the colonial era, like Philadelphia in the 1760's with like Ben Franklin and those people. You can tell by the make-up and dress, it resembles something that is not present today with the whigs. During colonial times, whigs were worn daily. It reminds of some trial that is taking place in a court room.
Makeup D looks like a fairy tale creature. Also, it kind of looks like some supernatural setting. Like people can appear and disappear, and be able to do supernatural things. It looks like the setting of the movie avatar.
RESPONSE TO LYNDELL MITCHELL II:
I also believe that the D resembles the avatar movie a little bit
The first person is a lone sand monk who has grown old in his monastery. He has gone through a lot of hardships throughout his life and this picture depicts him going through his sadness. He is very skinny as you can tell from his bony chin and he is very skinny and gone through a lot. This would seem like he is looking at a war or the aftermath of a war and has seem such immense sadness. The next girl seems like a girl who lives in Asia. She seems to be depicted as a person who is lost in a nation of turmoil. It seems like they depicted her in a time of struggle and she is trying to find herself in this world. She is sad like the first picture but most of all she is lost and hopefully she will find her way in her own world. This next picture reminds me of a transvestite. It reminds me of a man who cannot fit in the crowd and tries to do something different so that he will get more attention or so that he will feel comfortable with himself. He also seems lost in his own aspect of life and is trying to fit in with something that he is not. The next girl reminds me of something in sci-fi . She seems like a fairy on a different universe and she is trying to defeat the inter galactic race that is taking over earth and in the end she is earths last chance to survive.
ReplyDeleteresponse to mario:
ReplyDeleteI agree in how you say that B is a fictional thing. You should explain more so i can understand where you are coming from.
In makeup A the actor is dress up in face paint that give off the appearance of being old. By doing this the actor could be in a show where he is a grandfather, old judge, or someone with power.
ReplyDeleteIn makeup B I think that the female actor is dressed up for a show which is fiction and includes mystical characters. In the show she could be a which doctor, monster, or sorcerer giving her many directions to act in.
In makeup C the actor is prepared to be in a show that involves Englishmen who dress like they did back in the 1800's. This allows the actor to be someone completely different from himself which give him the opportunity to be very creative.
In makeup D the female actor is dressed like a mystical princess of some sort. The colors they used are really creative and I guarantee the show she is in is vibrant and full of fictional characters.
Response to Caylon Thomas:
I agree with Caylon when he say that the old man looks like he has had a hard and cruel life based on his facial expression. Also he look very sad and angry Bassed on the way his facial expression looks.
The first photo shows a man that has been through years of struggle. The wrinkles and large frown lines show sadness and despair, but along with years of hard work. This face would go well with a type of slavery or oppression story.
ReplyDeleteThe second photo shows a woman i believe was violently murdered. It would probably go well with a ghost ot haunting type of story, as in a type of she-haunts-her-killer type of thing.
The third photo is of a man from the 1700's, but he looks sort of gothic and/or homosexual. I believe this would be a good fit for a comedy type of story.
The last photo would fit well in a dance or very classy musical. the makeup is amazing, and gives me sort of an Eastern Asia/India vibe about her. The costuming is pretty cool, too.
Response to Ed Kime: I like the comment about the English people in the 1800's.
A) This picture depicts a man with makeup making him seem to be very old. However, he is also sad. The story that I would put him in would be a story of an old beggar. He is alone in the world, and he is sad.
ReplyDeleteB) This picture is of a woman with strange makeup. It calls to mind a mechanical woman, but one that is broken. This production would most likely be about a scientist who creates a mechanical woman, but is dissatisfied with her, and lets her fall into disrepair. Only part of her original face covering is left, and the under coat is cracked and worn.
C) This picture brings to mind old English aristocratic society. The man is wearing a powdered wig and he has on light makeup. This performance would be about something happening in the 17th to early 19th century, perhaps something with pirates.
D) This picture is very ornate. It is shiny, and it has many colors blended together. It brings on a sense of magic or some kind of sorcery. The story would most likely involve fairies and other magical creatures in a fantasy world much like the book Ink Heart.
Response to E. Kime
I agree with many of your observations about these images. A is definitely an old man of some kind, B is something fictional, C is an Englishman, and D is mystical.
Response to D. Swatts. (since you decided to post right before I did.)
ReplyDeleteI agree that the old man is sad or run down from hard work. A haunting story would be pretty cool woth that makep as well.
The type of story that would need elaborate makeup would most likely be one that involved older people. As people get older, their faces become worn and wrinkled. Faces droop to the point where it becomes very noticeable. The best way to establish age on stage is with makeup. When older people are on stage we know it because the makeup has been so heavily influenced. It a sad story was involved, makeup would be very important too. It is easy to see expressions when it is exaggerated on their face. Subtle exaggerations are not very helpful in theater. For an expression to be seen, it must be exaggerated with make up to make it noticeable from the audience.
ReplyDeleteMakeup B looks like it could be used in some sort of circus. C looks like it would be used in some sort of old British comedy. The wig makes to look almost colonial. Makeup D looks like it would be used in a Cirque du Soleil type play.
Doug S.
I completely agree with you
Makeup is obviously a big part of acting. Makeup helps actors to get the point across of their character.
ReplyDelete1. I can see the guy in the first picture being a brother it looks as if he is an olderan with a lot of years on him. He looks humble yet very wise at the same time. I think this guy is probably an advisor or someone discreetly important in a play.
2. I think number two is a character that is used in a scary or dark play. This character can be used in so many ways because there are so many elements in the makeup.
3. I think the third picture could be used in an old time play such as a 1700's themed play. This guy looks like George Washington or something like that he could definitely be an old politician.
4. I see the fourth picture being sort of an evil spirit or something like that, I could see this person being in a Harry potterish type of play. This character looks like a character out of a spiritual play.
Response to Blake: I agree with you I also think that that picture would be something like someone out of the band kiss.
Makeup does a very good job of telling to audience what type of character the actor is. In Picture A, it would have to be associated with a story about old people or adults. The makeup make the student look like an adult or more mature. In that specific picture the person looks like they are portraying an old person. The gray hair also adds to the clue that it is a grown person or a person with alot of years on them. In Picutre B, it kind of reminds me of the members of KISS. The white makeup reminds me of that. This makeup would most likely be a part of a celebratory play like Mardi Gras or something would be the first thing to come to mind. It looks like she is going to be doing alot of celebrating or having a fun time because her hair is everywhere and the makeup is kind of scattered or in a "festive" form. In Picture C, the makeup and the hair-do reminds me of a bus boy at a restaurant. This makeup might be associated with a play thats about some type of restaurant or maybe in a scene one of the actors may be working or cooking in a restaurant. Also, it looks kind of old-timey. In Picture D, the makeup is very creepy. It kind of symbolizes like a fairy tale or something like that. The little fairy flying in the corner kind of gives that away. It also kind of symbolizes some kingship to the character it seems like he is dressed very elegant and like he holds alot of power, espcially with all of the little streamers above his head. The whole picture kind of tells me that he has alot of power. It could be a story about a king or something along those lines.
ReplyDeleteRESPONSE TO EVIN DENMAN:
I think that the fourth picture is also very harry potter like too. It looks like a spiritual theme also. Picture 3 also looks very George Washington-ish.
In makeup A, this man could be part of a play explaining everyday life about an old poor man that somehow, someway obtains wealth. He is sad and lonely and he has seen much pain and hardship throughout his life.
ReplyDeleteIn makeup B, this person could be used in a play like having to do with the dead coming back to life, or the Mexican day of the dead, or even something like Frankenstein. The makeup makes the character look like she has been pieced together from many different parts from many different bodies. She would be the dark antagonist that is always trying to get in the way of the other characters.
In makeup C. This could be used for many things. One for instance would be a judge man in court back in revolutionary times. Another could be an English noble, who is going to a public gathering. It could also be used as the most obvious example as a man in drag. Any of these seem feasible for this style.
In makeup d. The character could be in a play like in the romanticism sort of style. She would be like the eternal being that speaks to the main hero of the play. She would be a great help to the main character, but also provide trouble for them as well. She could also be like a jester to a king or queen.
In response to Doug Swatts:
I agree that there is an indian/asian vibe to the lady in the fourth picture.
Kevin J. Murphy in Response to Blog #9
ReplyDelete1) For the first picture I think that there are several different types of theatrical works that would use makeup to show an elderly person. I think that this kind of representation of an old man would be best used in a play like The Christmas Story, which has an elderly male in it who is bitter and has had a long life over which he has done a lot of regretful things. It could also be used in a play where you want to show an elderly figure that has lead a hard life and that life is catching up to him.
2) The second picture has a much weirder aspect to it than the first. Using make up like this is harder to pull off. It would best be used in works that involve witches and or zombies, or it could be used in theatrical productions of The Nightmare Before Christmas and other works similar to it. Or just used in works that are overly extravagant and needing that "scare factor."
3) The third picture has a man covered in old style make up to me it looks like he is either trying to imitate a Victorian woman or a Victorian man. There are not a lot of theatrical works that this make up could be used in but, some Shakespearean style works could use characters like this as well as plays by Marlowe. Other than those styles I am not really sure where else make up could be used like this.
4) The final picture has a more dramatic use of makeup. This use is much more interesting but extremely limited. This kind of use should be used in works that are very interesting to say it one way. Plays that require characters that are “out there,” are the only real works I could see this make up involved in other than fantasy opera style works.
Kevin J. Murphy in response to Matt Murphy
I have to agree with Matt, makeup being used in picture 2 could be used for something that is Kiss-like or extreme in nature.
In my opinion i think makeup a story is about an old man that has a vary troubled life sense he looks sad and a very stressed one from all the deep wrinkles he also looks like he has been hurt recently by the his eyes look they look like there sad and droopy.
ReplyDeleteIn makeup b it looks like it would be off of some demented show it looks kinda like a art version of a devil. it looks evil from the cracked black eye and the cracked black lips it just looks really evil. Another thin it looks like it was summoned somehow by the one golden eye that looks like an artifact of some sort from Egyptian time.
In makeup c it looks like it was an old English play of some sort by the powdered face and white wig it also looks like it was back when England ruled most of the US and they use to tar and feather people.
In makeup d it looks like a fairy of some sort you can tell by the gold and blue skin. It also looks like it is a good guy because it is so colorful because most bad guys would be red and black and have scares all over them from when they were fighting
Response to Kevin J murphy i agree makeup d has to be with an interesting creature that os just out their
In this passage I think of a old time witch hunt movie because it has what looks like mythical creature in picture b and an old man in picture a with a woman who looks like she is in the 1800s in picture c. I think it would take place in old england or maybe early america during the witch hunts. It is amazing how looking at make up can give so many ideas even if the actors that have the make up on isn't even in the play yet. It can be really for an audience to get in a play when they don't have an allusion of the actors. Thats what the make ups for to give the audience a visual of what the actors are trying to do. I also think that mske up kind of gives an actor his emotion it tells the audience haow the actor feels and maybe what the actor might be like. In these pictures the make up on the actors make me think they are very sad or angry. the faces in the pictures are very serious so the play they are in has to be about a major issue to their characters. make up is a way to escape and become a totally different character. Thats what I think about these pictures.
ReplyDeleteIn reponse to mitchell
ReplyDeletei also think of an old man that has had a hard life in picture a. You can tell by his expression that he has had a very hard life as well.
The first picture I can see in an old science fiction movie. The second picture I could see that kind of make up used in something out of a Tim Burton film. The third picture looks like something used in a play or movie about the Victorian age, like about Queen Elizabeth. The fourth is a strange one, I could see it in some mythical Peter Pan esq. play or movie. The make up used on these actors really helps the audience really get into the feeling of each different story.
ReplyDeleteA) In this picture of the make up I think that this would be like an old catholic saint. He looks like he would be old and the tan wrinkles. I feel like i have seen this face before he almost looks like an old Saint THomas Aquines.
ReplyDeleteB) This make up job makes me laugh really hard because it reminds me of a rock concert. It could be like the ugly step sister of one of the kiss performers. I just see this make up and the band kiss comes right to my head.
C) This make up job makes me feel we are back in Britian during the Revalutionary war. I just see the white face and the white wig and old britian comes to mind.
D) This picture makes me feel like it is a magical kind of play. I feel like it could be tinkerbell from peter pan.
This picture is set to look like an old man. It looks like he is sad or depressed. He has make up to bring out wrinkles and gray paint in his hair to make him look even older. I'd say that he is in a play much like aresnic and old lace.
ReplyDeleteThe second picture looks like some kind of geisha house girl that might be a little scandelous. I'd say that this girl is in a show that is set in asia many many years ago.
The third picture is a man with make up of a powered face and whig which back 200 hundred years ago was the norm, so I'd say that this guy is is in a play that is set in Europe back in the revolutionary times.
The fourth picture is a fantasy kinf of make up. This girl is given blue skin and colorful eyes and hair to look unhuman kind of like an alien, so i'd say that she is in a play that has aliens or fairies
The first picture seems like the type of makeup that could be used in a tragic production. The reason that I say this is because certain features of the person's face are deeply expressed with a sort of detail that, on a normal person's face, would signify a great amount of emotional stress. Such stress is usually found in a good tragedy, and the deep shadows that are created by the makeup would make the character have a darker, somberpersona.
ReplyDeleteThe second picture, in my opinion, resembles a broken kibuki mask. It's something that I would expect to see in a show set in feudal Japan. This show could also be a tragedy in the sense that the broken kibuki mask could symbolize beauty breaking down into ruins, through either physical or emotional means.
The third picture seems like the type of makeup that would be used frequently in Shakespearean productions. It seems like the look of a 16th or 17th century diplomat or upper class citizen. It's unlikely that this kind of makeup could be used very effectively in a tragedy, but could work nicely in a comedy.
The fourth picture is undoubtedly something that would be used in a fantasy production of some sort. It is a bit difficult to think of this picture in terms of whether it could be the type of makeup used in a comedy or tragedy, since fantasy productions can be either comedies, tragedies, or something completely different. This makeup also looks as though it has many elements of nature that have been distorted in order to be perceived as something otherworldly and completely unique.
In response to Cameron Graeter:
I agree that the second picture looks similar to a geisha. Thus I get the idea that the character could have put the makeup on in the dark as an underlying psychological character trait.
jasdjfklsdjf asdkljf asdkljfaskljf a
ReplyDeleteA: I believe that the makeup of a person can begin to describe a lot about that person without having to have spoken any words. I can tell that the man is old, he doesn't look very happy. You can tell that due to his makeup that he is old, due to his wrinkles. He looks very calm, but angry at the same time.
ReplyDeleteB: This make up job makes me laugh really hard because it reminds me of a rap concert. It could be like the ugly step sister of one of the kiss performers. I just see this make up and the band kiss comes right to my head.
C: I think the third picture could be used in an old timey play such as a 1700's themed play. This guy looks like George Washington or something like that he could definitely be an old politician.
D: This reminds me of a weird-looking Avatar. The make up is cool and very vibrant. It also kind of reminds me of a geanie. I could see this character in a story that takes place in an enchanted forest. The character reminds me of a story that could be about a crazy adventure.
I would use Make-up A on someone that i wanted to portray as older and wiser. He also seems to me to be very calm but yet sad. His eyes look very sad to me and very tired.
ReplyDeleteI Believe that Make-up B is representing someone who is trying to be someone that they are not. It looks like she wants to be one thing and really tries to be that but in the end she cannot change it.
Make-up C reminds me of a noble man. He looks like a higher class individual. Along with an upper class he look he also looks like he might be a little snobby or even a jerk.
Make-up D would be used for some sort of fantasy. Although the make-up is very strange and weird it is not "scary". The colors used in the make-up are very bright and give off a nice sort of aura
For makeup A after looking at he design if the actors makeup i feel i portrays the look of an old ageing man longing for something whether that be people that have died in his life or maybe longing to be youthful again. I also see confusion in his face which makes me think he might be having trouble trying to understand something he is confused about, perhaps life. I would use him in a story of an old man.
ReplyDeleteFor actor B i feel that see looks like a depressing yet exciting character because of her makeup. For me i see some sort of fantasy art that honestly could go in any kind of fiction depending on how the story wants to go. For me like i said before in my story using her character i would use it in some sort of fiction maybe a dream.
For makeup C the actor obviously looks to be some sort of character that is back in times that men would wear wigs and white makeup on their faces. For me i would use him back in old Europe between the late 1600's to early 1800's for some sort of story probably dealing in wealth and politics.
For makeup D i feel the actor is portrayed to be some sort of fiction fantasy that is beautiful. To me she reminds me of nature colorful and magical seeming to never losing her beauty, but only changing it from time to time. I would probably use this actor in a fiction story dealing with nature.
In Response to Robby Simonetti's post:
For your comment on the makeup of "D" you can't be so foolish and one tracked mind as to view good and evil so straight forward, good and evil come in all shapes and sizes not always in a common view that is so easily scene.